• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

fiio k5 pro ess vs topping dx3 pro+ for Hifiman Sundaras

I'm looking at updating my headphone setup and am looking at a combo amp/dac coming from my PC. I've more or less narrowed it down to the two in the title, and am curious about people's preferences. Also open to suggestions to other amp/dac combos!

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had the Sundara several times and would really recommend the Schiit Magni Heresy and Modi 3 combo. The Sundara can be bright and need equalizing, so having the extra power of the Heresy is great for the preamp reduction needed to really make them sound best.
The JDS Atom amp/DAC is another you can't go wrong with, but for planars I always like the extra power of the Heresy for headroom when equalizing.

raif71

Major Contributor
What would you all recommend if the budget is $300 or less?
Topping L50/E50 combo is around 370 but if you're willing to buy both or either used, you might fit the 300 budget.

Last edited:

Boltman92124

The FiiO K7 seems much nicer than the K5 at $199.00. Has more power, balanced operation and no cable pulling between toslink/coax to switch inputs. Vs the DX3Pro+, the K7 offer an analog line input as well (as well as full sized headphone output) for using headphones with a turntable or other analog source. The K7 is also the Ak4493 chipset if that is preferred to ES. For those curious, the K7 also has toggle switch to DAC/lineout mode. The DX3Pro+ does have remote and bluetooth as it's advantages. The K5 is really a non-starter IMO.

Boltman92124

I ended up with the Topping L50 (silver). I'm glad I got a unit with pass through as it works properly in a tape loop. It seems transparent when switching in/out of the tape monitor as well. Can't hear a difference. As a headphone amp, I was a little surprised that I needed the high gain setting to drive Senn Momentum (on ear) headphones (23 ohm?). Medium gain works as well but I prefer to stay under 12 o'clock controlling volume. I'm shopping for new headphones and considering all the usuals in the $200-$600 price range.

Top Bottom