• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Favorite Dolby Atmos (or spatial audio) albums

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am seeing a huge proliferation of Dolby Atmos music on Tidal. I am really enjoying it on my home theater. Post your favorites and recommendations on Dolby Atmos or spatial audio music.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon recently came out in Atmos and I feel like technology has finally caught up with their original vision.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also really appreciate what they did with The Doors, Riders on the Storm. The rain and thunder come from my height speakers and crackles around me when I listen to it. It's very cool.

bevok

Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits has recently had the treatment and sounds great, along with the new release of Elton John’s Honky Chateau.

BJL

Yello "Point Atmos Edition" Blu Ray, maybe also streaming (though then lossy)? This is particularly interesting because it was specifically and intentionally recorded and mixed for Atmos by the artist, rather than a remix of older music.

bevok

I was doing some comparisons of a couple of headphones using the Brothers in Arms opening track “So Far Away”, then switched to listening to the stereo version. I really like how they’ve brought out the faint shaker that appears on the right at different points through the track (as much added separation than accentuating it in the mix). After the headphones I changed to my stereo speakers and thought they were really missing something in the treble as I couldn’t hear the shaker at all in certain parts, then switched to my Atmos system and realised it was actually the mix (verified going back to the CD version on headphones). The hazards of comparing systems with different mixes/masters! In any case I think they’ve done a good job with this mix.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beatles revolver recent remix in in Atmos as well and it's super fun!

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Weeknd Live at Sofi stadium is a great to feel like you are there in the crowd and the music is moving all around you. The sense of space is excellent.

bevok

The Beatles revolver recent remix in in Atmos as well and it's super fun!
Thanks for the prompt to register - I didn’t give this the attention it deserved when it came out. The stereo mix is an obvious massive improvement but the Atmos mix is even better for me - Yellow Submarine is a real treat!

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Brothers In Arms by Dire Straits has recently had the treatment and sounds great, along with the new release of Elton John’s Honky Chateau.
I wasn't able to find the Atmos version in Tidal. Dark Side of the Moon appears to be gone as well. I wonder why it got pulled...

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't able to find the Atmos version in Tidal. Dark Side of the Moon appears to be gone as well. I wonder why it got pulled...

Hopefully DSOTM was a technical glitch. It’s still on Apple as of right now.

Brothers in Arms the album doesn’t seem to be Atmos, but the song is appended to the Atmos mix of Sultans of Swing. That said, the song only really works for me in this context:

bevok

It sounds like it’s been coming and going from the forums! What are they playing at? These sort of antics will only encourage piracy. Amazon Music has it at the moment (went from there too), Apple Music has had it throughout. Can’t see it on Tidal although I have Hifi tier so might not show up.
@jhaider is this the version of Brothers in Arms you’re looking at:
IMG_0476.jpeg

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@bevok No, this one. I got the album wrong - it’s Money For Nothing:

EE186A73-6512-41BE-A6F8-E18CBD5CF4B9.jpeg

It doesn’t look like the Atmos BinA album is released in the US yet.

bevok

The new Ed Sheeran album has a very tasteful Atmos mix, use of the space without being gimmicky. Musically a very pleasant album, lower key (metaphorically) than previous ones.

MarcR

Forum Donor
Yello "Point Atmos Edition" Blu Ray, maybe also streaming (though then lossy)? This is particularly interesting because it was specifically and intentionally recorded and mixed for Atmos by the artist, rather than a remix of older music.
The version on Apple Music sounds awesome - great album and spectacular mix! I do appreciate the Atmos retro mixes of classics from my youth, but I find newer productions designed for Atmos to be much more engaging.

Here are some others that I also really like:

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
Noah Cyrus - The Hardest Part
Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever [ the Apple TV special of the same name is also excellent ]
Kid Cudi - Entergalactic
Niko Moon - Good Time
Zhu - Dreamland
Taylor Swift - Midnights

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently took a detour down memory lane with the Matchbox 20 remixes. @Sean Olive would not approve of the mixes - center channel is not used as it should be. (Thank you for picking up that fight, BTW; hopefully it’s not the recording industry analog of Pearl Jam’s mid-1990s quest to slay the Ticketmaster dragon, but instead will lead to better mixes - which may lead to less ****** overall center channel loudspeaker design too.) But they’re fun and our 8 year old thought the songs were “catchy.”

BJL

For anyone interested in more abstract or experimental (vs. pop) recordings, the blu ray edition of Oneohtrix Point Never (Daniel Lopatin) "Magic Oneohtrix Point Never" is worthwhile, 21 tracks are Atmos, plus 7 music videos, which are stereo. This is a late 2021 release on Warp Records and probably is or is going out of print, so get it while you can. No idea if it available via apple music spatial audio.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More stuff coming fast and furious in Atmos. Fleetwood Mac Rumours and Tusk are now out in Atmos.

Love Dreams and Never Fall Back again in Atmos. Disappointed in Second Hand News. I think they had the B team mixing that track. It hurt my brain how they distorted Lindsey Buckingham's vocals and separated his guitar pick strums from the actual guitar and placed it in the opposite side of the room from his voice guitar.

But super excited that one of my all time favorite reference albums is now in Atmos!!

Last edited:
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Others of note from the Tidal Classic Rock Atmos playlist

grateful Dead Europe '72 Live!

Talking Heads '77

The 80's are back baby!:D
Bon Jovi Slippery when Wet
Def Leppard Pyromania
Poison Nuthin but a good time!
Rush Moving Pictures
Inxs the best of Inxs
John Cougar Mellencamp Scarecrow
Quiet Riot Metal Health
Twisted Sister Still Hungry

Get out the hairspray and denim jackets!

shuppatsu

Thanks for this thread! I'm currently listening to Automatic For the People and it's great! I don't know if it's been discussed elsewhere, but Atmos seems inferior to me most of the time. Granted, I'm only using Airpods with personalized spatial audio. Separation is fantastic, but this is kind of a double-edged sword. I feel like the ubiquitous distortion put on vocals is offputting when not skillfully layered into the stereo mix. I'm guessing that Atmos mixes are lower priority while simultaneously being much more work. The result is usually an inferior mix. Even though it's great to be able to pinpoint some instrument that was previously buried in the mix, the downside is that there's usually at least one prominent element that sounds horrible for one reason or another.

Top Bottom