• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

ErVikingo

Jagamov

"No One Does VooDoo Like We Do"

They must have had a contest to see who could use ALL of their tech buzzwords in one article. So much mumbo jumbo.

Holy Crap! $15000!!! at least it has $4300 in added value.... a $595 fuse.... I'm in the wrong business...

Edit to add: Totally missed the combo at the bottom.

The Platinum Package
The Baller Bundle
The Crown Jewell Combo (I guess it takes 3 names to get the point across about how awesome it is)

$57,775!!! (bet hey, you get 2 of them!)

Last edited:

pjn

They must have had a contest to see who could use ALL of their tech buzzwords in one article. So much mumbo jumbo.

Holy Crap! $15000!!! at least it has $4300 in added value.... a $595 fuse.... I'm in the wrong business...

Edit to add: Totally missed the combo at the bottom.

The Platinum Package
The Baller Bundle
The Crown Jewell Combo (I guess it takes 3 names to get the point across about how awesome it is)

$57,775!!! (bet hey, you get 2 of them!)
They've thought of everything! -

"cancels high-frequency noise from WiFi, Cell Phones, and ambient RF"

At last, my tinnitus is cured! All that incessant whining noise in my head... I'll buy one for every room in the house

Jagamov

They've thought of everything! -

"cancels high-frequency noise from WiFi, Cell Phones, and ambient RF"

At last, my tinnitus is cured! All that incessant whining noise in my head... I'll buy one for every room in the house

They really did. That website could be used as a case study for extreme marketing BS.

Go look at the "Carbon Tuning Discs". $200 for 4 little STICKERS you put on your cables.

pjn

They really did. That website could be used as a case study for extreme marketing BS.

Go look at the "Carbon Tuning Discs". $200 for 4 little STICKERS you put on your cables.
A steal at the price! And their honesty is great "don't overdo it" - in other words don't stick them over every available surface. Which might get expensive
The thing that bothers me is that it suggests that their cables need some improvement.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We really need to start working this out on a currency unit per gram basis.

Which is more expensive, per gram: $1.5 million mega-speakers; $90K Nordost Odin Gold cables; one $50 Synergistic Research Carbon Tuning Disc?

One of the tenets of engineering is to use the least amount of materials necessary. In this case, to fleece the customer. :facepalm:

Alas, the Nordost/SR tech pages do not list product weights… :cool:

Last edited:

Punter

"No One Does VooDoo Like We Do"
It just goes to show how confident these charlatans are that they will openly display the internals of these devices!

VoodooInside-scaled.jpg

Okay, left we have a relatively simple linear power supply which will have to offer all of the usual voltage rails for the PC motherboard on the top right. I haven't been able to determine the manufacturer but it is most definitely not Synergisic Research (possibly Gigabyte). Not sure exactly what the board at the bottom right accomplishes apart from being an interface for the power switch the image does not reveal the symbols on the DIL packages. I suppose it could be some further refinement of supply voltages. All up I'd say there's a total of about US$300 in components plus the cost of the enclosure which might be another $100-200 if it's a custom job. Apart from that, somebody has to wire it up with crappy Molex connectors and install Linux (free) and Roon. Oh and finally, tap it with the Audiophool fairy wand to install the magical music powers!

Alternatively, you could purchase a Roon Nucleus for around $1400 which contains the NUC7i7DN motherboard. The markup is fairly spectacular but not on the same scale as the Synegistic unit.
7db37407c404d21114818f57df49db0dc71ad3d9.jpeg

Rhamnetin

What really surprises me is the choice of the Samsung SSD. Everybody know that Western Digital drives are more musical.

I stuck a Synergistic Research Carbon Tuning Disc in my Samsung SSD, it's now the most musical SSD I've ever heard!

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's like old Chuck Dickens said, it's both "the best of times and the worst of times."

If your are an audiophile with $10K USD to spend, you could buy a box of dirt (Special dirt! Really, really special dirt!) providing cloud-parting, heaven opening, revelatory sonic improvement, or you could buy a pair of Dutch and Dutch 8C Studios.

Your choice.
Lol, it's a tough call.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I think they've been metioned quite a few times already, but I was just reminded of Van den Hul in another thread, and had a look at their website for fun.

Their "Health Rings" has to be a contender for the most ridiculous snake-oil product ever: https://www.vandenhul.com/product/health-ring/

It unapologetically combines the original "health product" snake-oil concept, as old as economy itself, with modern audio woo.

Can they be old april's fools that they forgot to remove?

Mikig

If the problem is listening to music well, with 84,400. Euro I go to see live music around the world.
From Italy I could have 15 wonderful stays in the USA, with a front row seat at the concert and a 5-star hotel.
In Europe I could attend 40 concerts, and in Italy at least until I retire...
I don't think there is any cable that "sounds as good as live" ;)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Okay, left we have a relatively simple linear power supply which will have to offer all of the usual voltage rails for the PC motherboard on the top right.

I spot a PicoPSU in the ATX connector. The linear PSU probably only does 12v.

I haven't been able to determine the manufacturer but it is most definitely not Synergisic Research (possibly Gigabyte).

Yeah, it's hard to tell. Looks like they've removed a WiFi module and the VRM heatsink. Doubt it's Gigabyte though. It would be clearly written on the silkscreen. I bet it's just some cheap OEM board.

Top Bottom