• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

goat76

Major Contributor
Yes, I particularly enjoy that he manages to elaborate some extra fog references (including the music tracks on the TV) and stay deadpan for the whole thing. That he went so far as to fill the room with fog was hilarious.

What did he use for the fog, an air humidifier on 11? :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently we've seen popular reviewer John Darko take up room treatment and diagnostic measurements. As we enter the first day of a new month we see him take on a critical and specific measurement task:

Two years ago today an ASR thread covered the topic of cable lifters in the scientific and level-headed way we expect. Are our methodologies still at the cutting edge? Can we correctly correlate fogs and veils? Can we mix and match cables and lifters to achieve new synergies? Is domicile tenure a critical factor? Are national/regional environmental factors significant? Has anyone done this at home? So many questions ...

Har! Thanks. That was a good one. And it was only part way through when I thought of the date...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm quite relieved it was simply humor.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
What did he use for the fog, an air humidifier on 11? :)

I wonder. Perhaps the cameraman was vaping furiously. Relieved of course that dispelling the fog meant the return of 'inky blacks'.

MAB

Major Contributor

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very clever of Darko to show measurements of the "fog effect" at the beginning. Part of the hook.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure! Of course Audioquest Fog Lifters appear to be a real product: perfect for a send-up.
The end result with the cable on top of the lifters looks like something a child would do. What an odd idea.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Very clever of Darko to show measurements of the "fog effect" at the beginning. Part of the hook.

Yes the bogus measurements were great.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Fyi for anyone puzzled by appearance of the Darko "renters fog" video and comments here, it was originally posted (by me) as a stand-alone April fool thread in general audio discussions, but moved here by admin/moderation I assume. I posted there initially because one doesn't announce April fool material as humour, obviously. And that's also where the earlier April fool thread I linked to started and still resides. I wasn't asked about moving it, but if I was I'd say it should end up in the humour category of course, not here.

goat76

Major Contributor
I'm quite relieved it was simply humor.

I think it was a good April joke from John Darko, I even tried to spin it further with my earlier reply to you that the same thing happens in Sweden. :D

When I saw his video, I was fooled and thought "why on earth do they use such radiators in Germany that randomly create smoke like that". :)

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it was a good April joke from John Darko, I even tried to spin it further with my earlier reply to you that the same thing happens in Sweden. :D

When I saw his video, I was fooled and thought "why on earth do they use such radiators in Germany that randomly create smoke like that". :)
I fell for the renter's fog thing (never been to Germany but I know the Continentals often have different ways of doing things) but when he said it was affecting the measurements, the jig was up.

maybe someone should tell him that if you regularly talk nonsense you can't really do a successful April Fool?

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Those mass-produced Audioquest Fog Lifters are fine for industrialised Berlin I guess, but you'd be looking for something crafted from baltic pine and caribou sinew for the Swedish sonic environment? Unless it's IKEA.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I fell for the renter's fog thing (never been to Germany but I know the Continentals often have different ways of doing things) but when he said it was affecting the measurements, the jig was up.

maybe someone should tell him that if you regularly talk nonsense you can't really do a successful April Fool?

Haha, looks like it worked on you though. :)

Tatr76

After watching Darko video, even though knew it was joke it was eerily no different from other videos produced that are made seriously but known snake oil. 10k iq play as now we must believe he knows the difference when peddling some nonsense.

Punter

From one of my favourite reviewers..

It's a friggen Ethernet cable!

"So what does REN has to offer? If I had to limit the assessment to a single sentence I would say that it offers unparalleled tranquility, closely followed by an incredibly orderly fashion of presenting the music. Yes, I know it requires further explanation. The tranquility here is understood as a complete lack of nervousness in the sound, even the one I usually don’t realize is there until is gone – that is a feature of some, most often power-related audio products. The noise in the background is gone hence there is no distortion and everything falls into place. All the elements of the music are presented without rushing things, without shortcuts, detours, timing issues, or any other sort of distractions in a pure, steady fashion. The presentation is no longer about the sound but it’s rather all about the music and all its building elements, even the tiniest ones, that are presented with amazing clarity and transparency."

Top Bottom