• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

egellings

Major Contributor
OK... sigh* I don't think the disparity is as bad as you say.
When where you last employed in consumer audio AV electronics?
As per harsh conditions I think heavy duty ship rated/marine rated cable versus heavy duty cable is not a comparison and is hype.
Marine cable that is the recent fad is easily cut by low force friction.
Living room audio cables don't have to deal with a harsh environment anyway.

pma

Major Contributor
I use coax myself -- but I prefer this stuff, which is much thinner and thus more flexible than RG59 -- for electric guitar connections, where signal levels are low, impedance is high, and shunt capacitance is the major SQ consideration. Center conductor DCR is relatively high due to its copper-plated steel wire, but that's a non-issue in that application: Belden 8218

Below a similar thin coax, very high quality, PTFE insulation, silver plated core wires and shield. Excellent RFI immunity, low shield impedance. People tend to laugh at cables, but this is no snake oil, just pure physics.

P1050701_50-1.5.JPG

egellings

Major Contributor
Below a similar thin coax, very high quality, PTFE insulation, silver plated core wires and shield. Excellent RFI immunity, low shield impedance. People tend to laugh at cables, but this is no snake oil, just pure physics.

View attachment 358231
It's too slim. Fatten that baby up! (kidding) I use good ol' RG58U for my setup, and I make the cables no longer than the distance they need to cover. As an example, the phono stage to line stage one is about 1 foot long.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
Excellent RFI immunity, low shield impedance. People tend to laugh at cables, but this is no snake oil, just pure physics.
I use the same type of cabling and the thinnest copper or copper/silver terminal ends that are VERY tight.
I prefer screws with a hex and solder only if need be. It's not snake oil at all and it is a better cable than
lamp cord, extension cord or zip cord. Yes, the type of cabling, terminal ends and how they are attached
even more so. Not all solder is equal and not all soldered jocks are equal.

It's not snake oil, it's called staying out of trouble vs getting out of trouble.

I saw the pebbles, I've seen magnets too. I would expect a change if it collapsed, modified or some how
changed the field. Magnets have to mess with stuff? Am I wrong? Do rocks carry a charge. I'll ask a
few rockhounds and drillers, they have seen everything.

I've seen drill strings with a strong enough magnetic field to hold a good size wrench with no problem
from drilling. Subs have to be degaussed for a stealthier ship and magnetic mines.

All thing are held together by something, ay?

Regards

PHD

This is a new low for the audio industry...

Skip to 3:45 for the good part about your health...

Has anyone here tried this C wave tech-based audio gear? I'd love to see measurements results...

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Damn, I thought my liver and kidney problems were related to my drinking habits. Bartender, I'll have another. Thanks Dan

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I will not watch the video...

Mark (the man) Levinson pulled another fast one. I will not be surprised if some audiophiles take this B.S./him seriously. Some of these people were claiming they got headache when they listen to digital ... This could be the explanation these people were looking for ...

And, when you thought they couldn't sink any lower...

Peace.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, the 'audio quality' thing is mostly for audio consumers (the gullible ones and audiophools). That's where most of the money is.
Pro cable sellers usually talk about reliability, and other practical properties.
This concept should be memorialized in a splash screen that pops up the minute you register for this site, with a CAPTCHA that forces you to sign an affidavit disavowing any notion that the choice of conductor, insulator, or direction of an audio cable has any influence on audio quality. I’d also vote for a similar covenant barring the use of the term “audiophile networking” but admittedly I can be a bit dogmatic.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My ass Hertz after watching <minute of that drivel.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
PTFE insulation and a silver plated core wire are great for a coax cable being used above about 100 megahertz.
But they don't do anything good for an audio frequency cable.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a new low for the audio industry...

Skip to 3:45 for the good part about your health...

Has anyone here tried this C wave tech-based audio gear? I'd love to see measurements results...
I just reported this video and the Daniel Hertz website to the FDA for making false medical claims.

Seriously, F this guy. Someone dying from liver failure could buy one of these amps based on his BS. Then they'd be dying and $12K poorer. This is not just the normal snake oil, this is pushing the boundaries of honest-to-god criminality IMO.

I also left a mean comment on the youtube video. That'll show him! :mad:

The worst part... he claims that digital audio harms your health and his "c-wave" fixes it. And yes, you guessed it, the "C-wave process" is... digital.

Where to start...

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just reported this video and the Daniel Hertz website to the FDA for making false medical claims.

Seriously, F this guy. Someone dying from liver failure could buy one of these amps based on his BS. Then they'd be dying and $12K poorer. This is not just the normal snake oil, this is pushing the boundaries of honest-to-god criminality IMO.

I also left a mean comment on the youtube video. That'll show him! :mad:

The worst part... he claims that digital audio harms your health and his "c-wave" fixes it. And yes, you guessed it, the "C-wave process" is... digital.

Where to start...

The bastards did it , merged the health scam with audio woo . Prediction, others will soon follow !

Health/nutrition/wellness/medical pseudoscience is the bigger more lucrative scam , so they are realising that the dwindling supply of aging audiophiles are not enough :)

There are sadly many “alternative” cancer/medical scams ongoing everywhere.
Alternative medicine is a funny . If a method/herb/thing actually has real medical properties it will eventually be found out and incorporated in normal medical practices and stop being alternative ? :) so if a thing is still “alternative” after all this time says something, like homeopathy...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bastards did it , merged the health scam with audio woo . Prediction, others will soon follow !

Health/nutrition/wellness/medical pseudoscience is the bigger more lucrative scam , so they are realising that the dwindling supply of aging audiophiles are not enough :)

There are sadly many “alternative” cancer/medical scams ongoing everywhere.
Alternative medicine is a funny . If a method/herb/thing actually has real medical properties it will eventually be found out and incorporated in normal medical practices and stop being alternative ? :) so if a thing is still “alternative” after all this time says something, like homeopathy...
Indeed... "alternative medicine" is, almost always, just an alternative to the thing that actually works*. Here we have the rare and exciting combination of (in the same sense) alternative audio engineering and alternative medicine.

*There are exceptions of course, like many banned "street" drugs in the US have turned out to work well for legitimate psychotherapy. But you get my point.

gjm

USD 15k.
Anyone got any inside info? Any details of design and similar? What's in the box? Snake oil and marketeering, or something worth further investigation?

(Disclaimer - I don't have $15k for a PC in a fancy case.)

Top Bottom