• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Btw: isn't CD's 16 Bits restricted to 20 Hz to 20 KHz, so sub C simply is not present?
Maybe my technical horizon is not sufficient to understand.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Place the headphones on your head with the active diaphragms facing away from your ears. o_O
As an erstwhile Cornwall owner, this sage advice reminds me of prudent placement options for the Cornies and, indeed, most of the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers.

Better: On the floor, face down.
Best: In someone else's house.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As an erstwhile Cornwall owner, this sage advice reminds me of prudent placement options for the Cornies and, indeed, most of the "Heritage" Klipsch loudspeakers.

Better: On the floor, face down.
Best: In someone else's house.
gg* It's not really @ all as horrible as you make it out to be..LoL. :D

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
gg* It's not really @ all as horrible as you make it out to be..LoL. :D
Dood(ski) -- I owned a pair for a decade! ;)
One curates the music one listens to so as not to excite that midrange horn's resonances.
:facepalm:

Pretty sure you've seen what I did to try to calm that sucka down.

Listening to some nice horns and drivers as I type this. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Btw: isn't CD's 16 Bits restricted to 20 Hz to 20 KHz, so sub C simply is not present?
Maybe my technical horizon is not sufficient to understand.
The bit depth has nothing to do with the bandwidth. The sample rate dictates this. And Redbook delivers 0 to 22.05 kHz.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Dood(ski) -- I owned a pair for a decade! ;)
One curates the music one listens to so as not to excite that midrange horn's resonances.
:facepalm:

Pretty sure you've seen what I did to try to calm that sucka down.

Listening to some nice horns and drivers as I type this. :)

Great photo of some 60s/70s vintage speakers. I just can't get into them in this day and age. The always interesting Klipsch RF7s are always worth listening too. I think they have three or four versions they have made over the years. I heard the first version and they did sound (to me) amazing. They played soft or very loud. Playing normal levels, they were easy to listen too. But I am not extremely picky. If a speaker seems great to me the that is good enough!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The Klipsch Chorus (and Chours II) were better, to my ears, than any of that model's "Heritage" predecessors (EDIT: other than the "heritage" K-horn, which was always fairly good, but which also benefits greatly from extensive modification).

(FWIW).

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bit depth has nothing to do with the bandwidth. The sample rate dictates this. And Redbook delivers 0 to 22.05 kHz.
+1 for mentioning that the lower frequency limit is usually cited as 20hz because that's as low as most people can perceive vibrations as "sound" and not just some other kind of vibration / oscillation. No lower frequency limit on any digital formats I am aware of.

24U

+1 for mentioning that the lower frequency limit is usually cited as 20hz because that's as low as most people can perceive vibrations as "sound" and not just some other kind of vibration / oscillation. No lower frequency limit on any digital formats I am aware of.
If anyone listen to classical music, especially British DECCA and and a few other ancient labels that understood the process of recording/producing music, one can easily entertain a decent hifi rig capable of playing back the longest church organ pipe at 16 Hz. Adding the challenge of re-producing the natural native sound pressure is an experience few are able to enjoy at home. As mentioned above, the CD format limitations is DC up to the stop band 22,050 Hz, if anyone should bother to even utilize them.

DonR

Major Contributor
If anyone listen to classical music, especially British DECCA and and a few other ancient labels that understood the process of recording/producing music, one can easily entertain a decent hifi rig capable of playing back the longest church organ pipe at 16 Hz. Adding the challenge of re-producing the natural native sound pressure is an experience few are able to enjoy at home. As mentioned above, the CD format limitations is DC up to the stop band 22,050 Hz, if anyone should bother to even utilize them.
I regularly see my sub moving without any audibility but I sure can feel it. Organ is usually the source. I think a lot of recordings actually filter out subsonic so the live experience is far more preferable.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I regularly see my sub moving without any audibility but I sure can feel it. Organ is usually the source. I think a lot of recordings actually filter out subsonic so the live experience is far more preferable.
It's also possible that there is some out-of-phase signal in the bass. While you can't localize that, it does at least between 40 and 90 Hz create a sense of width. Mono bass can not do that.

Short38

So many things that could be improved with little effort:

1. One too many R’s in the name of the speakers.

2. Resonators need to be treated as a system to wit place a resonator in the four corners of the room.

3. The resonators need to be isolated by a carefully selected composite base.

4. Owner/Listeners need to be fitted with custom molded aluminum helmets. NOT simple folded foil hats.

Overall an argument for a 98% marginal tax rate over one million.

OP
S

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
So many things that could be improved with little effort:

1. One too many R’s in the name of the speakers.

2. Resonators need to be treated as a system to wit place a resonator in the four corners of the room.

3. The resonators need to be isolated by a carefully selected composite base.

4. Owner/Listeners need to be fitted with custom molded aluminum helmets. NOT simple folded foil hats.

Overall an argument for a 98% marginal tax rate over one million.
I find the #4 recommendation to be quite remarkable. Using the custom designed and molded aluminum helmet will give so much more to the wearer than a simple aluminium folded hat. I vote for the tax hike for people with over one million until I reach one million. Then it will need to be scrapped. I don't want my 1 million taxed like that. Everyone else's, sure!o_O

DannyBoyNYC

This is a new low for the audio industry...

Skip to 3:45 for the good part about your health...

Has anyone here tried this C wave tech-based audio gear? I'd love to see measurements results...
Archimago has a nice write up today. (Seems Levinson co-wrote a book on the female orgasm with his wife?!?)

I just spent way too much time on the Synergistic Research site and I that has left me angry and doubting humanity. The people who run this are either deluded beyond any hope of salvation or criminals who have lost all regard for decency. The nonsense claims they make should be illegal. But hey, here in Germany health insurance pays for a lot of the homeopathic "remedies" that people who actually studied medicine prescribe. Human stupidity really appears to be endless.

Justdafactsmaam

I just spent way too much time on the Synergistic Research site and I that has left me angry and doubting humanity. The people who run this are either deluded beyond any hope of salvation or criminals who have lost all regard for decency. The nonsense claims they make should be illegal. But hey, here in Germany health insurance pays for a lot of the homeopathic "remedies" that people who actually studied medicine prescribe. Human stupidity really appears to be endless.
Clearly criminals. They obviously don’t do any research other than market research

Salt

Forum Donor
Clearly criminals. They obviously don’t do any research other than market research
Is it criminal, maybe the crime of the century (or at least of one or two decades) do go for marketing instead producing?
Basic social implemantations are going on.
We are living in a period where billionairs made a fortune by marketing like google/alphabet, or think of click-baiting and influencers .... and so on.
But it's not their fault, it's that of the (potential) consumers/customers.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I just spent way too much time on the Synergistic Research site

They and their customers get mercilessly ripped apart on the latest headphone show live stream (about 50 mins from end of YouTube video if anyone is interested) along with fancy cables and tuning dots etc, quite a good watch.

Justdafactsmaam

Is it criminal, maybe the crime of the century (or at least of one or two decades) do go for marketing instead producing?
Basic social implemantations are going on.
We are living in a period where billionairs made a fortune by marketing like google/alphabet, or think of click-baiting and influencers .... and so on.
But it's not their fault, it's that of the (potential) consumers/customers.
Yes it is criminal. It’s a federal crime. https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/top...ar,appropriate, backed by scientific evidence.

Top Bottom