• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

External DAC vs motherboard Realtek® ALC1220P Codec?

Usernme

Hello all,

I already have "Schiit Magni Headphone AMP" and use it on my PC with motherboard "MSI MAG B660 TOMAHAWK (Realtek® ALC1220P Codec). And Sennheiser hd560s.

Is it worth it to buy "Schiit Modi+ or Modi Magnius DAC? If I notice some difference with external DAC?

Regards,

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's how I check to see if you'll notice if you use 3.5mm to RCA to the amp. Play a song and pause it with the volume all the way up. Then start the Passmark test which puts your CPU and video card through its paces stressing it. Listen for coil whine or background hiss.
The weak link is always the 3.5mm out catching interference. On some systems it can be so bad that optical out to a DAC can be the only way to get a silent noise floor. I've had the 1220 and 1220s and they sound pretty good, but only if interference doesn't get in the way.
It's much easier to find a USB port that's free of interference, then as a last resort go to optical, since USB is always preferred for performance. I've tried several 3.5mm to double RCA cables and the UGreen are the most quiet compared to Monoprice and Kabeldirect at least.

Top Bottom