• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I have Genelec's with a Topping D30 pro. Everything is set to turn on with signal and off without. I have no pops, thuds, or noises.

So what do you think is the problem then? Maybe your DAC has something to prevent the pops? What do you mean everything is set to turn on with signal and off without, you mean using the Genelec standy by feature?

Thank you.

I read this review of Scarlett on amazon, it explains my issue

There's also a problem with auditable noise when idle, during boot-up and even randomly when playing audio. Turning on the PC and hearing an audible pop coming from the Focusrite quickly reminds me just how quiet the Steinberg was. I am going to guess they used a capacitor-coupled output stage to save money, instead of an AB class circuit. Capacitor coupled outputs are a sure way to introduce an annoying DC pulse into the audio stream when power is applied to the circuit. It may have been acceptable back in the day when older audio equipment had turn-on pops and often used relays at the output stage to somewhat compensate. But in todays world, it's easily solved with a $2 class-AB operational amplifier IC. Maybe it's time for Fucusrite engineers to peek inside Steinberg's circuit goodies.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I suggest you speak to your dealer about your problems - looking at your history threads you have a lot of complaints about this pop- sound you are experiencing, and it seems its your surge protector you use that is the problem. Why are you using such a device when its obviously disturbing both your computer, your interface and your speakers ?
I would disconnect this surge protector and then the problem is solved.

You seems to dislike your speakers in general. Why havent you sold them already ?

The Genelec 8030c is one of the highest rated monitors out there, so should be very easy to sell . Other good monitors are Adam audio in this pricerange. Im sure they are gonna pop also if you use this surge protector, but it might be worth a try ?

Its not the surge protectors. I tested on the outlets alone and with other surge protector brand I have. I think is the Scarlett interface not being able to stop these pops at PC startup.

Scarlett solo doesn't stop any pop when turning computer off, but the Scarlett 18i8 does. Neither stop the pop when turning the PC on though.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I read about that 305. So basically, if you have the 305 on, then if you turn on the computer connected to interface, do you get a pop?

Does 305 have standby feature?
No POp on 308 or 305.. I don't use the standby feature. When you aply AC to the speaker it does take up to 6 seconds before the LED goes on... No Pop.

I believe the problem is upstream components.. Not the Genelec. Upstream components are sending the "pop"/pulse, to the speakers and they are reproducing it ...

Peace.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

No POp on 308 or 305.. I don't use the standby feature. When you aply AC to the speaker it does take up to 6 seconds before the LED goes on... No Pop.

I believe the problem is upstream components.. Not the Genelec. Upstream components are sending the "pop"/pulse, to the speakers and they are reproducing it ...

Peace.

The Scarlett interface basically

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Why dont you change this thread to ” Very unhappy with focusrite Scarlett 18i8 ” ?

because I still couldn't figure out the problem, but they did something right, the 18i8 was able to block the pop when turning the PC off

Problem now is I have buy another interface not knowing if it will pop or not. I read Motu M6 and MK5 don't pop

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not really appropriate to blame Genelec when they are not the problem.

Most better preamps / DAC’s are silent when turning on and off. If you buy something make sure you can return it if it doesn’t make the grade.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

It’s not really appropriate to blame Genelec when they are not the problem.

Most better preamps / DAC’s are silent when turning on and off. If you buy something make sure you can return it if it doesn’t make the grade.

and that's where the problem lies, how can I find out if a DAC or interface will be silent when turning on and off?

Short of buying and returning, etc

I need an interface since I play guitar. I read on reddit and a couple online post that Motu doesn't pop, so I may try that

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and that's where the problem lies, how can I find out if a DAC or interface will be silent when turning on and off?

I need an interface since I play guitar. I read on reddit and a couple online post that Motu doesn't pop, so I may try that
I can only comment on stuff I've owned. All my Linn gear was silent. The Topping stuff I've bought D30 Pro, A30 Pro, EX5 are all silent, Oh also I had a Beresford TC 7510 that was silent but the TC 7530 had a nasty thud.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

RME makes great stuff. Also pro gear which may fit with the guitar.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The RME BabyFace has this issue as well. The guy from RME, who posts here himself, suggests this attenuator. Though marketed as a microphone level device he says it works fine at line level as well. It will fix the too sensitive problem, and as a result the pop problem will be reduced to an annoyance, but nothing that would damage anything.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The RME BabyFace has this issue as well. The guy from RME, who posts here himself, suggests this attenuator. Though marketed as a microphone level device he says it works fine at line level as well. It will fix the too sensitive problem, and as a result the pop problem will be reduced to an annoyance, but nothing that would damage anything.

Yes thats where I read it from but makes you wonder if you need attenuator is the issue the monitors or the interface

Seems like a crappy issue to have for such expensive interface id be pissed pay thousands

That little rod gon stick out like crazy too and look weird and wonder if it will get rid of pop or not

Clearly the issue is the interface they just dont give a crap to implement a delay or circuitry that would avoid the pop

This guy installed a delay and stopped the pops yet RMe cant so this?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Also the problem is not the speakers as this happens even if i disconnect the speakers and use headphones

The headphones pop when powering PC

The problem is either my PC that cuts power to the USB or the interface is just crap

I believe is both. The interface just disconnects itself i think is hardware design. I read somewhere is from capacitor coupled output rather than AB circuit.

I tried everything prevent my pc from disabling USB during sleep or off and it always cuts power. No option in Bios, i disabled all power saving options related to usb and all power savers in bios

The pc always disconnects the UsB ports

The fact the interface disconnects Usb from PC even tho is not obtaining power from it as has its power brick.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes thats where I read it from but makes you wonder if you need attenuator is the issue the monitors or the interface

Seems like a crappy issue to have for such expensive interface id be pissed pay thousands

That little rod gon stick out like crazy too and look weird and wonder if it will get rid of pop or not

Clearly the issue is the interface they just dont give a crap to implement a delay or circuitry that would avoid the pop

This guy installed a delay and stopped the pops yet RMe cant so this?

Though USB powered, the Babyface has the option of using a wall wart ps. In this case, if you use that you don't get the pops, because it stays powered. And for instance I use my Babyface with some powered speakers, and the pop isn't much. It is more so thru headphones. Of course I do what someone else suggested. I don't turn on speakers until everything upstream is on. Shutdown is in the reverse order. Pretty standard business with live sound gear and recording gear.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Also the problem is not the speakers as this happens even if i disconnect the speakers and use headphones

The headphones pop when powering PC

The problem is either my PC that cuts power to the USB or the interface is just crap

I believe is both.

I tried everything prevent my pc from disabling USB during sleep or off and it always cuts power. No option in Bios, i disabled all power saving options related to usb and all power savers in bios

The pc always disconnects the UsB ports
Well on my laptop it has one always on USB port. Which is what I use most of the time. Unless the laptop battery is dead, it never turns off even if the PC is shut down. Now when I use a Macbook, it does not have that (or at least mine doesn't). So you have the pop problem to consider. I think you'll find most interfaces with this problem. Possibly all of them.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

If the computer never cuts power to the Usb ports, then there shouldn’t be any pops by theory which is what the guy in that thread you linked experienced

The pop happens when the USB light on the interface lights up which tells you is caused by the interface to PC usb connection.

I tried with other PC and does the same thing, so it doesn’t seem to be a computer case but rather the interface issue, the way designed the scarlett cutting corner probably the pop happens even tho it has a power brick

Just cause RME is an expensive brand doesn’t the baby face will have anti pop relay or delay or capacitor to prevent pop at start up

The babyface isn’t that their cheapest model? No wonder it pops

If i paid $1000 to be in pop city Id be pissed

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the computer never cuts power to the Usb ports, then there shouldn’t be any pops by theory which is what the guy in that thread you linked experienced

The pop happens when the USB light on the interface lights up which tells you is caused by the interface to PC usb connection.

I tried with other PC and does the same thing, so it doesn’t seem to be a computer case but rather the interface issue, the way designed the scarlett cutting corner probably the pop happens even tho it has a power brick

Just cause RME is an expensive brand doesn’t the baby face will have anti pop relay or delay or capacitor to prevent pop at start up

The babyface isn’t that their cheapest model? No wonder it pops

If i paid $1000 to be in pop city Id be pissed
I'm very happy instead. In another thread you said the 18i20 doesn't pop nor the Clarett line. I have a 1st gen 18i20. I don't know if it pops, as I always used the method of powering on the speakers first.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Though USB powered, the Babyface has the option of using a wall wart ps. In this case, if you use that you don't get the pops, because it stays powered. And for instance I use my Babyface with some powered speakers, and the pop isn't much. It is more so thru headphones. Of course I do what someone else suggested. I don't turn on speakers until everything upstream is on. Shutdown is in the reverse order. Pretty standard business with live sound gear and recording gear.
This ^^^. Just turn on your speakers after everything else is on and fully booted. Problem solved. It’s standard practice with pro gear.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I'm very happy instead. In another thread you said the 18i20 doesn't pop nor the Clarett line. I have a 1st gen 18i20. I don't know if it pops, as I always used the method of powering on the speakers first.

I said based on their ads and right before receiving it lol the 18i8 does stop the pop when powering off pc but not when powering on and i dont know why

Could you test this with your 18i20 for research purposes? Tho if is the 1st gen it may pop even when powering off

You mean power speakers last

Power speakers firsts, then turn Pc with interface, does it pop?

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I might have missed it but why are you uaing an 18i20? Are you recording as well?

A cheap topping dac with headphone out will likely solve all your problems.

Top Bottom