• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers

Pancreas

They sound good, but they are way too sensitive, where the lowest DB setting is +6. which is ridiculous. They hum at zero volume, pop city, etc. The hum happens because of level mismatch.

I have tried everything, except putting an attenuator or a monitor knob. I set the db settings to the lowest on speakers.

I paid a lot of money for this monitors to be in pop city. They're too loud, too sensitive, so all it takes is another device such as an interface to send them to pop city.

You could an "inline attenuator" and connect it to the back of the interface. Switchable attenuation of -10, -20 and -30 dB.

Maybe another solution and way more expensive is buying the Genelec with GLM, I think it can be attenuated more with the software??

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Pancreas with input sensitivity, choosing a lower dBu/dBV setting means the speaker becomes more sensitive.
If it's too sensitive, you want to choose a higher setting instead.

Which Genelec model is it that you're unhappy with?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Pancreas with input sensitivity, choosing a lower dBu/dBV setting means the speaker becomes more sensitive.
Genelec uses the inverse of sensitivity, that is the input level for 100 db SPL. Higher is less sensitive. The default is -6 dBu, and other options depend on the model. 8010 has an optional -10 dB attenuator, which makes the input level 6 dBu.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you use in front of the Genelec?
We'll be able to help if we know more about your system.

Peace.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Genelec uses the inverse of sensitivity, that is the input level for 100 db SPL. Higher is less sensitive. The default is -6 dBu, and other options depend on the model. 8010 has an optional -10 dB attenuator, which makes the input level 6 dBu.

which means 6+ is the least sensitive, even then is still too sensitive lol

Genelec speakers are known for being very sensitive, but I didn't know this before buying them. I would've never bought them if I had known I was going to be in pop city.

Like I said, you can use that inline attenuator and technically, it should make it less sensitive and prevent pops. I'm not so tired of trying to get rid of them, it feels pointless now.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

What do you use in front of the Genelec?
We'll be able to help if we know more about your system.

Peace.

Nothing except a Scarlett 18i8. The speakers always pop whenever the Scarlett Solo or 18i8 connect to the PC via USB. It doesn't matter if it has its own power supply or not.

I tried everything and nothing prevents this. All I can think of is these speakers are too sensitive, so the power from the interface combined with the speakers, just sends them to pop city.

I bought these speakers cash, so I can't return. If I unable to leave pop city, then I'll probably resell them on reverb

I hate these pops more than anything

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why don't you reverse your turn on order? Turn on the Scarlett, then the Genelec. Regardless of the speaker you use, it seems the Scarlett are sending a pulse to the speakers, any amplifer or speaker would react to the pulse. The hum also is another sign or something wrong in front of the Genelec. True the less sensitive combo may not pop or hum as loudly but ... there is something wrong elsewhere.

Peace.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Pancreas earlier Genelec models had volume controls built in with up to -80dB attenuation. Take a look at the 8020A/B/C or 8030A/B if the current models don't work for you.

Edit: the Ones also have sufficient attenuation for Analog in.
theoretical Vrms for 100dB SPL at min gain.png

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Why don't you reverse your turn on order? Turn on the Scarlett, then the Genelec. Regardless of the speaker you use, it seems the Scarlett are sending a pulse to the speakers, any amplifer or speaker would react to the pulse. The hum also is another sign or something wrong in front of the Genelec. True the less sensitive combo may not pop or hum as loudly but ... there is something wrong elsewhere.

Peace.

I shouldn't have to i read plenty of cases of people who never follow this sequence and their interface never make speakers pop

So clearly it is possible to achieve and I wonder if I need to try a different brand interface. I read Motus don't pop by asking some reviews on youtube, so clearly is possible to prevent this pop if the interface has a delay circuit or DC capacitor or something that will prevent them, example

this guy added a delay circuit and it prevented the pops so is possible to do

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Now the 18i8 does prevent the pops when shutting down PC, probably because it has its own power supply? or because of the anti thump technology they claim. My scarlett solo would pop when shutting down PC.

Both make speakers pop when windows starts and the Scarlett connects to PC via USB

So clearly the problem happen during this USB connection and why?

This is what happened to the guy in the video above, so if an interface has a delay or something when starting up, it should prevent the pop, which scarlett clearly doesn't have anything

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I shouldn't have to i read plenty of cases of people who never follow this sequence and their interface never make speakers pop

So clearly it is possible to achieve and I wonder if I need to try a different brand interface. I read Motus don't pop by asking some reviews on youtube, so clearly is possible to prevent this pop if the interface has a delay circuit or DC capacitor or something that will prevent them, example

this guy added a delay circuit and it prevented the pops so is possible to do

In this field... it depends On the components on their turn on delay and/or protocols. For example, my JBL LSSR 308 and 305 take 5 to 10 seconds to turn on , the LED takes that long to glow, after application of AC power... NO pop, OTOH the subwoofers turn on , almost instantly and at times do "pop"

Peace.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

In this field... it depends On the components on their turn on delay and/or protocols. For example, my JBL LSSR 308 and 305 take 5 to 10 seconds to turn on , the LED takes that long to glow, after application of AC power... NO pop, OTOH the subwoofers turn on , almost instantly and at times do "pop"

Peace.

Yes, I read about that 305. So basically, if you have the 305 on, then if you turn on the computer connected to interface, do you get a pop?

Does 305 have standby feature?

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
In pro audio, it's standard protocol to turn sources on first and amps on as the last part of your power up sequence. Shut down is reverse order. It's the upstream component sending the pop, nothing to do with the speaker.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

In pro audio, it's standard protocol to turn sources on first and amps on as the last part of your power up sequence. Shut down is reverse order. It's the upstream component sending the pop, nothing to do with the speaker.

except some interfaces have a delay or a circuitry to prevent it from happening and thats what I'm looking for, it should be possible as the video posted above demonstrates

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
follow this sequence and their interface never make speakers pop
That is the fault of your in front gear not the speakers. They are just amplifying the signal they are sent.

Tangband

Major Contributor

Which Genelec model is it that you're unhappy with?
Yes - which Genelec model are Pancreas talking about ?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

That is the fault of your in front gear not the speakers. They are just amplifying the signal they are sent.

The only thing in front of it is the Scarlett 18i8 with my PC. I have the genelec 8030c.

The 18i8 blocks the pop when turning off the computer, but not when turning it on for some reason. I also have a Scarlett solo that makes speaker pop when turning computer off.

The fact that 18i8 blocks it, tells me is possible and the issue is not the speakers.

Some interfaces and DACs have a soft start/delay start that will prevent the speakers from popping when you start the PC.

I simply don't know which ones do. The Motu M6 and mk5 line may have it.

Only solution is to leave computer and interface on all the time, which I'd rather not do.

If I put the computer to sleep, no pop, but when it wakes up and reconnects to Scarlett via USB, there is a pop

This tells me the pops occurs during the USB connection between Scarlett and PC

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only thing in front of it is the Scarlett 18i8 with my PC. I have the genelec 8030c

The 18i8 blocks the pop when turning off the computer, but not when turning it on for some reason.

Some interfaces and DACs have a soft start/delay start that will prevent the speakers from popping when you start the PC.

I have Genelec's with a Topping D30 pro. Everything is set to turn on with signal and off without. I have no pops, thuds, or noises.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The only thing in front of it is the Scarlett 18i8 with my PC. I have the genelec 8030c.

The 18i8 blocks the pop when turning off the computer, but not when turning it on for some reason. I also have a Scarlett solo that makes speaker pop when turning computer off.

The fact that 18i8 blocks it, tells me is possible and the issue is not the speakers.

Only solution is to leave computer and interface on all the time, which I'd rather not do.

If I put the computer to sleep, no pop, but when it wakes up and reconnects to Scarlett via USB, there is a pop

This tells me the pops occurs during the USB connection between Scarlett and PC
I suggest you speak to your dealer about your problems - looking at your history threads you have a lot of complaints about this pop- sound you are experiencing, and it seems its your surge protector you use that is the problem. Why are you using such a device when its obviously disturbing both your computer, your interface and your speakers ?
I would disconnect this surge protector and then the problem is solved.

You seems to dislike your speakers in general. Why havent you sold them already ?

The Genelec 8030c is one of the highest rated monitors out there, so should be very easy to sell . Other good monitors are Adam audio in this pricerange. Im sure they are gonna pop also if you use this surge protector, but it might be worth a try ?

Top Bottom