• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Experiencing a power cycle audible pop sound on Genelec speakers

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

It would be nice to know if this program either caused or exposed the problem you had. Perhaps reinstall the same version of the program and see if you can reproduce your problem?

If you can't reproduce the problem after a reinstall that just means that you could not reproduce it, not that the program was not the cause or exposed an underlying problem. Welcome to the world of debugging and testing software.

I’ll try to reproduce but I still got the pops when turning pc on regardless. Those pops are more related to interface/pc

The mouse noise. I didn’t modify anything, is still at 48hz and same settings on Focusrite control. I uninstalled the Flux cause I read a post online that some guy got rid of noises through speaker like that.

My flux didnt have safe mode but i just installed it and now im using the windows version to tone down screen hue

https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/5va2pf

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

NO MORE POPS

I bought the Motu Ultralite MK5. I just installed the drivers and connected to my computer, guess what?

No pop when turning my computer on or off. No pop when restarting. What does this tell me?

That Focusrite is lower quality lol and I was right all along it was the interface causing the issue. Not my computer. Even if my computer was causing, the Motu makes no pops. When turn the interface on or off with the power button, it makes a very faint click.

It sounds much better too. The power button is in the front.

Now the real question is, will my speakers go to sleep when this interface is on? I have to test that now. It take about 1 hour for the speakers to go to sleep with no signal, but I read the internal clock of some sources can keep the speakers awake. This is the real test. If they go to sleep, then my problem is solved. Even if they don't, at least now I have no pops when powering my computer on and off.

A solution for this could've been to buy the Motu M6 which is USB powered, but I wanted SPDIF to connect a future guitar amp modeler, cause using 2 TRS cables to connect to the interface is not ideal. I may buy a Motu M6 just to test as well and see which one I keep, the M6 or ultralite mk5

If the M6 doesn't pop as well, then I could use the fact is USB powered to allow the speakers to go to sleep, as I turn off my PC, the interface will turn off. Question is will it pop?

I'm going to return the Scarlett 18i8

Motu-UltraLite-Mk5.001.jpeg

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
NO MORE POPS

I bought the Motu Ultralite MK5. I just installed the drivers and connected to my computer, guess what?

No pop when turning my computer on or off. No pop when restarting. What does this tell me?

That Focusrite is lower quality lol and I was right all along it was the interface causing the issue. Not my computer. Even if my computer was causing, the Motu makes no pops. When turn the interface on or off with the power button, it makes a very faint click.

It sounds much better too. The power button is in the front.

Now the real question is, will my speakers go to sleep when this interface is on? I have to test that now. It take about 1 hour for the speakers to go to sleep with no signal, but I read the internal clock of some sources can keep the speakers awake. This is the real test. If they go to sleep, then my problem is solved. Even if they don't, at least now I have no pops when powering my computer on and off.

A solution for this could've been to buy the Motu M6 which is USB powered, but I wanted SPDIF to connect a future guitar amp modeler, cause using 2 TRS cables to connect to the interface is not ideal. I may buy a Motu M6 just to test as well and see which one I keep, the M6 or ultralite mk5

If the M6 doesn't pop as well, then I could use the fact is USB powered to allow the speakers to go to sleep, as I turn off my PC, the interface will turn off. Question is will it pop?

I'm going to return the Scarlett 18i8

Motu-UltraLite-Mk5.001.jpeg
1676590071331.gif

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I mean all this tells me Focusrite interfaces are garbage lol

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mean, that may be a bit harsh. These are not audiophile devices, but pro-sumer studio audio interfaces. In most audio production environments, they have mix&mastering stations running the whole work day and alternatively most people power up monitors after boot. My 306p's are on a smart switch. I suspect the pops are created by some sort of flexible relay routing they use in their design that is driven by the software. It's just an unfortunate side effect to have pops at bootup and/or shutdown. Maybe motu has a better design that appeals to audiophiles, and that's good news. I run a D10B to a THX789, Su-8s to my 306p, and a focusrite 2i4 for my mics and instruments. I think this is why all first gen devices have loud pops, it was commonplace in professional audio interfaces a while back. Again, I'm sure it's for relay routing, and relays need power to latch.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Of course you'll be altering the title omiting the word Genelec and writing a full and unreserved apology to Genelec for maligning one of their products.;)

bungle

Of course you'll be altering the title omiting the word Genelec and writing a full and unreserved apology to Genelec for maligning one of their products.;)
Last week I bought used 7070A, I had some question to Genelec, and they answered right away in WhatsApp. There were also 4 screws missing. They asked my address and send all the missing screws in priority mail for free. It's a great company, and they continue to support all their products, even the ones that are long evicted from their current product lines.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
It was a combination of your equipment and interconnections. Others ASR members had the same Focusrite interface and did not hear any noises during power cycling.
The video you posted showed the pop to be barely audible, but irritating nonetheless.

Glad you found a solution and welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn and increase your knowledge.

Trell

Major Contributor

I wouldn't draw that conclusion.

My RME Fireface UCX II audio interface have muted pops during power on/off for analog and headphone out, while the RME ADI-2 DAC FS does not. For me the power on/off pop is muted for both headphone and monitors using the UCX II, though normally the UCX is connected to my ADI-2 DAC using ADAT. I don't think my RME devices are garbage.

If the pop is very loud, it's of course a cause of concern, but sometimes a level mismatch between the device and amp/monitor can make it a problem. The Genelec monitors are very sensitive so my monitors have a reduced internal volume (they are 8330A and changeable internal volume level using GLM), for otherwise only a small range of the volume pot is usable.

In this thread this is discussed further down where I pasted parts of some posts: https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34354

Post #13: >>>I think the pop sound is normal. It is audible but muffled and far from an issue. Seeing your setting you could have it more than 10 dB lower in volume by adjusting the power amp, and if that is not possible by adding attenuators in-between. The pop-sound has the same level/volume at +13 and +19 dBu, which would make it already 15 dB more quiet with external attenuators. You said it yourself, the UCX II seems better in this regard than the UCX, so I doubt there is something wrong.<<<

Post #38: >>>Please note the UCX II is not a HiFi oriented unit (as the ADIs) for totally click/pop free home use, but a production tool for the studio/music making. As such cost and space consuming features like headphone output relais are not part of this (all these) products.<<<

Post #36:>>>Which brings me back to my post 13. You clearly have a big level mismatch between UCX II and power amp, and you need to make sure your music is played at normal levels, up to 0 dBFS. If I turn up the volume at my power amps so that the mentioned noises become audible, playing music will make my ears bleed. And that is also clearly shown by the numbers that you posted. How can a click at -50 dBFS be as loud as the played music? There is something fundamentally wrong here.

I would strongly advise to try attenuators at the UCX II output if you can't reduce the sensitivity of the power amp.<<<

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I mean the speaker still pop when they wake up tho, but they were already doing that. Like when I would turn them on with the button on back, they'd pop a little even if disconnected from interface and computer off, so is more a genelec thing.

This interface mutes the pops as long as the speakers and interface are on. Its not going to mute the natural pops that come from the speakers when they wake up.

Even if i wake up the interface by pressing its button before the speakers wake up, they still pop, but this has more to do with Genelec design, if you read their response on their forum, they say is normal and speaker will have a small pop when turning them on

So, yeah this interface got rid of the pops when restarting and turning off, but is not going to get rid of the natural pop that happens when the speakers wake up.

So I guess is impossible to get rid of ALL pops and this case, this pop when the speakers wake up or you turn them of manually, has more to do with Genelec design

as the speakers are waking up AFTER the interface is on

Only solution to that is to leave the speaker on 24/7 and disable ISS standby mode, which I don't know how it will impact their life

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Last week I bought used 7070A, I had some question to Genelec, and they answered right away in WhatsApp. There were also 4 screws missing. They asked my address and send all the missing screws in priority mail for free. It's a great company, and they continue to support all their products, even the ones that are long evicted from their current product lines.

Their speakers are prone to popping tho if you google Genelec pops, you'll find plenty questions, it may be their design or that they're very sensitive

Speakers sound really good, but prices are very high. You're paying the european made tax. The accessories are also quite expensive. The table stands are like $125 for one stand.

Trell

Major Contributor
I mean the speaker still pop when they wake up tho, but they were already doing that. Like when I would turn them on with the button on back, they'd pop a little even if disconnected from interface and computer off, so is more a genelec thing.

This interface mutes the pops as long as the speakers and interface are on. Its not going to mute the natural pops that come from the speakers when they wake up.

Even if i wake up the interface by pressing its button before the speakers wake up, they still pop, but this has more to do with Genelec design, if you read their response on their forum, they say is normal and speaker will have a small pop when turning them on

So, yeah this interface got rid of the pops when restarting and turning off, but is not going to get rid of the natural pop that happens when the speakers wake up.

So I guess is impossible to get rid of ALL pops and this case, this pop when the speakers wake up has more to do with Genelec design

as the speakers are waking up AFTER the interface is on
You hear that very tiny pop when the Genelec goes in/out of standby?

Well then, go buy another monitors as suggest before, but I’m sure you’ll spam our forums with your “problems” in whatever thread you manage to find.

I’ll just put you on my ignore list and call it a day.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Ok?

Yeah is a very tiny pop and like I said, I was already experiencing that before I even bought the 18i8, so I can live with it.

This Motu interface though, is way better than the 18i8, everything sounds and when I play my guitar with it, is way better in every way, but then again is more expensive so

bungle

Their speakers are prone to popping tho if you google Genelec pops, you'll find plenty questions, it may be their design or that they're very sensitive

Genelecs come from factory with highest level of sensitivity. On my 8050 that also causes hiss that is audible for meter, perhaps two when you are not feeding any signal. I have lowered mine to +4dBu (Genelec setting specifies input signal strength). Yes they are expensive, but you are never robbed for snakeoil. They are tools that last a lifetime. And produce good sound.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Genelec 1032A (I have 4) always pop when I switch them on. It doesn't matter if there is something connected or not.

I don't like it.
But that's really not an issue, to be honnest.
I just dont switch them off as often as I would do if that wasn't the case.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Now since using this Motu interface Ive been having issues with my internet connection why does an interface acts an ethernet

Last edited:
OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The Motu does not have an impact on your internet connection.

@AdamG247 - time to freeze this thread.
I wouldn’t be so sure. When I attempt to use the UL Mk5 on a raspberrry pi 4 running raspberry pi OS it knocks out the WiFi on the pi. I don’t have the issue on the same pi with different a different operating system (Ubuntu) or on Mac/PC but there does seem to be issues related to internet connectivity.

Not sure if this is what @Pancreas is seeing as the issue I observe is very obvious, internet works until I plug in the Mk5 and then the internet stops completely.

Michael

Top Bottom