• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Exciting news from Onkyo and Pioneer: TX-RZ70/ VSX-LX705, TX-RZ9/VSX-LX905 = Auro 3D + DLBC!

adam0bmx0

Please let us know what you think about Dirac Live vs other room correction systems you have used. Most of us that have tried it are impressed w/ the outcome.

Will do.

My A6A was paired with a Rotel RMB1555 (but i've moved the Rotel into my theatre room to power my height speakers), you can see them both crammed in on the shelf.....

I'll need to re-think were the Integra goes, as it's tight in there and they did get hot, maybe i hide it in the cavity behind the TV, I have a cupboard under the stairs.

The 8.4, I will run using it's own amps to start with, as I also have a Tonewinner 7300+ PA amp on hand. :)

Speakers are Canton Chrono tower, Canton Vento centre, some R152 bookshelves for surround and Mordaunt Short Genie satellite speakers for the 4 heights, sub is a JL audio Fathom 212 (I used to have a SB16 Ultra in that same location, i've included the sub sweeps).

Attachments

• sb16 vs f212.jpg
    sb16 vs f212.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 97
  • front lounge.jpg
    front lounge.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 94

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will do.

My A6A was paired with a Rotel RMB1555 (but i've moved the Rotel into my theatre room to power my height speakers), you can see them both crammed in on the shelf.....

I'll need to re-think were the Integra goes, as it's tight in there and they did get hot, maybe i hide it in the cavity behind the TV, I have a cupboard under the stairs.

The 8.4, I will run using it's own amps to start with, as I also have a Tonewinner 7300+ PA amp on hand. :)

Speakers are Canton Chrono tower, Canton Vento centre, some R152 bookshelves for surround and Mordaunt Short Genie satellite speakers for the 4 heights, sub is a JL audio Fathom 212 (I used to have a SB16 Ultra in that same location, i've included the sub sweeps).
Nice set- up!

Axelpowa

Hi, im trying to run Dirac Live through the PC version but any time I plug it from the PC a popup comes and tella to run it through the OnkyonController app.

If I cancel the run, then I can go on with the PC but no sound comes from the speakers.

Both avr and pc are in the same network with ethernet cable.

Any advice?

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, im trying to run Dirac Live through the PC version but any time I plug it from the PC a popup comes and tella to run it through the OnkyonController app.

If I cancel the run, then I can go on with the PC but no sound comes from the speakers.

Both avr and pc are in the same network with ethernet cable.

Any advice?
Are you trying to run Dirac for calibration? If so, install Dirac on your PC and connect to the AVR.

Axelpowa

Are you trying to run Dirac for calibration? If so, install Dirac on your PC and connect to the AVR.
Yes, thats what ive done. But once I run it through pc and select the onkyo, the onkyo autostarts dirac through the app and cant do it through pc with all its options for targets etc...

Theetjuh

Yes, thats what ive done. But once I run it through pc and select the onkyo, the onkyo autostarts dirac through the app and cant do it through pc with all its options for targets etc...
If you use the original mic, you need to keep it plugged in the AVR, if using a UMIK you need to plug it in the PC btw.

Axelpowa

If you use the original mic, you need to keep it plugged in the AVR, if using a UMIK you need to plug it in the PC btw.
I use umik at the pc, but the avr asks to plug in the original mic when I run the pc version

Theetjuh

I use umik at the pc, but the avr asks to plug in the original mic when I run the pc version
When you start Dirac you see the UMIK as a selectable Mic?
You are using the latest firmware (R108-0202-1110-0131)?

Axelpowa

When you start Dirac you see the UMIK as a selectable Mic?
You are using the latest firmware (R108-0202-1110-0131)?
1. I run DL through PC.
2. Select the Onkyo
3. Select the Umik
4. Go to next step.
5. PC screen disapears and onkyo shows up the Start Dirac dialogue asking for original mic.
6. I cancel through the Onkyo and the PC screen shows up again with volume setting for each channel, mic gain etc....
7. I try the tests tones but no sound comes and get error "Internal processing error"

Yes I have latest firmware in the Onkyo.

Regards!

Theetjuh

Hmmm you could try removing the power from the RZ70 for a few minutes and then try again.
Also if you are running the latest version of Dirac, revert back to 3.4.4.

DrStranger

Will do.

A bit off topic, but I will sneak in a quick question, tiny, are you satisfyed with the A6A? I have my eye on it and it gives a lot bang for the buck, have done a lot of reading on it, imo the split of the DAC are smart. Was there a reason for connecting a extra amp, I asume it has a good punch with its 2 x 150wpc 8o?

Axelpowa

Ok found the problem!

The PC was connected through the AVR hdmi input BD/DVD

The output hdmi was to the monitor.

If I run it out of the avr the onkyo asks again for the original microphone, but the screen doesnt switch to the Onkyo interface and you can follow up the process.

Regards!

soerenssen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
None of these are in the queue currently, waiting for @amirm to measure it? It would be interesting to see how close they can get to the A1H, at half the price.

Axelpowa

A question about preamp option.

Where do you find the option? In the setup menu or web interface?

In the app controller didnt see it.

Regards!

Ying

Could owners of the Integra, pioneer or onkyo check if it has some options like Audessy Dynamic EQ? And if so it is as good as Dynamic EQ

Thinking of upgrading to 1 of these receivers, but will surely miss Dynamic EQ coming from a Marantz for low level music listening.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Could owners of the Integra, pioneer or onkyo check if it has some options like Audessy Dynamic EQ? And if so it is as good as Dynamic EQ

Thinking of upgrading to 1 of these receivers, but will surely miss Dynamic EQ coming from a Marantz for low level music listening.
I thought it did have a true equivalent, but on further investigation (after someone pointed out that the features are dialogue rather than loudness oriented!), I was wrong...

If you run without Dirac or AccuEQ, you can use THX mode, which has a "Loudness" feature, as detailed on the THX website, this is a fletcher-munson style loudness frequency profile adjustment (same as DynEQ).

If you do use Dirac/AccuEQ (and that is one of the main reasons for purchasing one of these) - then, if you opt to use the Dolby Surround mixer, (which can process streams that originate as DTS, Dolby, or PCM...) - you can enable a "Loudness" mode.

However, according to the Dolby descriptions of "Loudness" - these are not designed to tune the frequency response based on average loudness (with reference to reference level) - but rather designed to optimise the dialogue frequencies for optimal intelligibility - so it is doing something completely different.

Do I know this definitely - No.... I have not been able to find an actual formal description of the Dolby Surround Loudness feature by Dolby...
However Loudness (and what the term means to Dolby) is described here:

In past versions of the Dolby decoders, Dolby used to have fletcher munson type features - but I don't think that is the case now.

Having said that...

In the belief that "Loudness" meant what it has meant since the mid 1980's I used that as my default go to, given I listen below reference levels.

Compared to DynEQ, I found it disappointing.

The current Dolby Loudness feature does do a great job (in conjunction with Late night mode) for watching TV/Movies at night and maintaining dialogue intelligibility, where it doesn't do a great job, is with music....

Traditional Fletcher-Munson loudness curves (or ISO226... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour ) do a good job of rendering music at different listening levels - Dialogue processing approaches don't.

So, the answer is a partial yes - these AVR's do a good job for TV/Movies watched late at night when you don't want to disturb the family.... and no, they don't do a great job with music under similarly volume limited conditions. (better to use headphones?)

Having learnt this myself, and although I am a long term fan of Onkyo, I am looking once more at the D&M family - but I really want Dirac ART capability alongside a true Fletcher-Munson Loudness feature - and with the D&M products, DynEQ is only available when using Audyssey, you cannot overlay it over Dirac ART (sadly!).

At present the only device that appears to provide the desired mix of Dirac & Loudness is the Monoprice HTP-1 AVP, I don't know of any AVR's that currently have this capability. :(

Top Bottom