• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Examples of good usability in hi-fi equipment

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I don't think I posted this previously -- but this rascal was (is) simple, elegant, attractive, and easy-to-use. Good feeling controls, too.
It's out on long-term loan to a hifi fellow-traveler on the other side of the state.

Y'all should recognize the logo -- the brand's still around and going strong. :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I generally don't think much of power amp usability. I mean a box with connections and an on/off switch. I have seen you can mess it up, but what do we want. I have a Wyred4Sound with a blue led lit slit all the way across the face. However, there is a pot to adjust brightness. I keep it down to a barely visible level in a dark room. It is fine that way. I've had VU meters and don't care about them. Had a McIntosh power amp with their optical based clipping indicator and clipping preventer circuits. That was useful actually. I get the beauty of a nicely machined case with some character, but really a box that works is all it needs to be. Preamps on the other hand are different.

And I give a big fat middle finger to all the AVRs and Pre/pro's I've ever used for usability. I do blame Dolby the most for that.

Same here all around.

I do care about how they look, but beyond that it's an on and off switch.

That said, I truly dislike handling solid state amps with heat sink fins. Unpleasant (and dangerous sometimes).

As for AVRs, even as someone with a fairly elaborate home theater, I'm still using an old Denon AVR from 2009. Every time I even start seriously thinking about replacing it the sheer complexity of setting one of these labyrinthine beasts up, re-cabling, re-doing tons of remote codes just turns me off.

On the subject of usability, I've been playing around a bit more with my new custom-made volume-knob remote, shown here:

I have to implement a new IR system to get it working from my sofa, but preliminary tests indicate it's going to be just what I was looking for: basic functions for my preamplifiers and AV system on a nice, clean tactile knob-based remote. For music it's just a volume knob that works smoothly and a tap of the knob mutes or unmutes the sound. For watching movies, it controls volume and a tap of the knob for pausing and unpausing the picture (and some other dial moves for fast forwarding or rewinding picture).

Yes it's more expensive (or not, if you DIY), but nothing (usually) beats custom-made stuff for getting precisely what you want, rather than being at the mercy of some manufacturer's ideas and priorities.

Soandso

Still goin' after all these years is this Sanyo integrated amp I use in one room - especially needed when spinning vinyl records . It's an old style work horse lacking brand cachet yet with everything from a "loudness" switch, left/right channel "balance" dial, mono or stereo "mode" selector, "audio mode" -20 dB attenuation option, basic equalizer, and a dual channel "power indicator level" that responds to any changes in dynamic range with back lit pulses. The old thing is rated at 200 watts and plays better than cheap 400 watt modern integrated amps. Oh yeah, there's a 2 prong 100 watt rated electrical plug outlet built into it's metal chassis back where I can charge a cell phone while simultaneously using that phone as the music source through unit's "Tuner" selector. [Model JA-660-2 from 1985; made in Japan incorporating dual internal heat sinks].
08572C35-73B5-4563-8931-96294B4F9E34.jpeg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For me it's often the tiny things that annoy.

I
Joining the party..

I'm really picky about haptics, aesthetics and ergonomics (and usefulness) in audio equipment. So most don't pass muster for me. But a few jump out:

JL Audio CR-1 Crossover.

These people know subwoofers and sought to make blending a sub with the mains as simple and intuitive as possible, and boy did they succeed! I'm not in to all the room measurement/digital crossover stuff so this was ideal for me. It made blending the sub so easy and intuitive. The sub/sat balance knob was also a genius way of easily altering the balance once things were getting dialed in:

CR-1-FLT-EARS.jpg

JE AUDIO HP10 - PHONO STAGE

It was daunting enough getting in to turntables, cartridges 'n all that stuff again. Reading about how bloody awkward many phono stages were in regard to switching things like impedance settings was very off-putting. Many even had to be opened up to switch settings internally. And even when settings were accessible on the outside of the units, often they were teeny little switches on the rear - hardest to reach, hardest to see on an equipment rack.

HP Audio put all the relevant settings right up front, adjustable, accessible. Makes a joy to use. In fact the impedance settings are so easy to access I enjoy switching to different settings just for a change of presentation.

• 1470208946Front.jpg

Transrotor Konstant FMD Power Supply - motor/speed controller for my Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable.

I lucked in to this virtually-never-on-the-used-market unit when I spotted someone selling it for a great price. It's their top of the line controller. I'm putting this in here because it's a simple one-job device, does it perfectly and it's a joy to operate because it is so beautifully built - German Engineering and all that. It's got a nice big knob for changing speeds that feels great and has a confidence-inspiring mild "clunk" as it clicks in to place. In fact, a silly detail, but I HATE...HATE the heat sinks on solid state amps. Every time I've ever had to hold or shift one around, those bloody ugly fins feel awful and threatening to slit open my fingers. But the heat sink fins on this are polished with a fine powder coat (or something) and even the heat fins feel fantastic in the hand, like silky smooth!

TRANSROTOR CONTROLLER IN HAND copy.jpg

TRANSROTOR CONTROLLER IN RACK.jpg

RTI Universal Remote

I have to give a shout-out in terms of usability to my RTI remotes that I use for my home theater system. They are a bear to program, but that is done by an AV installer. But they are so customizable I got precisely what I wanted in terms of some very complex programming put in to macros. For instance I use a projection based system with automated 4 way masking that can change the size and aspect ratio of the screen as required. I put together a vertical masking system (it's own motor) with a horizontal masking system (velvet panels on an automated curtain track). I have about 20 different available touch screen buttons set up for different aspect ratios and screen sizes. So at the touch of one button, the projector zooms the image to a pre-set size on the screen, the horizontal masking system is sent to a set point, then jogs itself more finely to the right position, the side curtain system goes to a set point and then has further commands to jog to an intermediate position. So within about 7 to 10 seconds, one button press and the whole image and screen "change magically" to a new shape and size. And it's worked for years and years.
https://www.rticontrol.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/6d47e1a4b985c7aa97985946db8622c8/t/2/t2c_controller_face_300_trans.jpg

Custom Volume Remote

Lastly, this doesn't even quite exist...yet.

I really don't like remotes in general. Few feel nice in the hand or nice to use. Especially for my 2 channel system I have always wanted to use a remote controlled volume knob from the comfort of my sofa. Except one that could learn and operate the IR commands for my two pre-amps weren't available (pretty much all remote volume knobs these days are for operating computer sound). So I'm having one built by a polish custom audio company. It's a metal knob on a wood body. The knob will of course operate volume, but it will also send other basic commands - e.g. mute, change inputs, FF/RR etc - via tapping or turning the knob. I can also use the knob to select which device commands it will send, so I can use it with my CJ preamp, Benchmark preamp, AVR, Apple TV etc. I'll know how this works soon, but it should be just what I was seeking. Here's an example photo (not the wood finish I chose though):

View attachment 272652

Just revisiting the above...

For me it's the little things that annoy.

I was over at a friend's today using his VPI Prime turntable.

Two things I didn't care for vs mine:

1. The unipivot arm design! Egads that awful wobbling of the arm was soooooooooooo annoying! I could never be confident where it was going to land and it was so hard to guide. I don't think I'd even care if such a design had some sonic benefits, just using it would drive me too crazy.

2. The motor start is just a teeny button on the side of the motor. Yuck. I really dislike teeny little plastic buttons. The haptics are awful. Made me appreciate the big, smoothly milled metal knob that operates my Transrotor turntable motor.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Main Benchmark DAC gripe has to do with the use of small, lookalike black push buttons to control most functions: I need to look closely for the ones which control source selection, and even then, I tend to find myself myself going in the wrong direction. IMO, usability could be improved without changing the basic design, simply by using different button colors to group similar functions together visually.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Main Benchmark DAC gripe has to do with the use of small, lookalike black push buttons to control most functions: I need to look closely for the ones which control source selection, and even then, I tend to find myself myself going in the wrong direction. IMO, usability could be improved without changing the basic design, simply by using different button colors to group similar functions together visually.

Oh goodness yes! Reminds me of the remotes with the lines of tiny indistinguishable buttons all the same size (accompanied by tiny writing indicating their function, of course).

I made the "mistake" of getting the black version of the Benchmark LA4 preamp. I prefer this generally because I'm not a fan of the Benchmark aesthetics and so this just disappears visual on my black equipment stand. On the other hand, those teeny black on black buttons are a constant problem for these aging eyes.
I'm actually considering putting a little bright sticker on the power button. (Fortunately the other functions are on the nice screen).

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Marantz NR-series AVR is pretty good for basic power, source selection and volume, though functions requiring an OK/Enter like firmware updates, require the remote control, because the front panel of the unit hasn’t got one.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The beocenter 1900 was easy enough to use, too, once set up.

maxresdefault.jpg

I’m personally fond of the Beomaster 1900 with it’s dimpled touch zones indicating where one’s fingers should go, but it’s got a large footprint, isn’t too flexible about where it can be situated, and if you move it around, the DIN connectors inevitably wiggle themselves loose from the underside of the unit: Definitely a case of function getting the second-class treatment in favor of visual beauty.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I’m personally fond of the Beomaster 1900 with it’s dimpled touch zones indicating where one’s fingers should go, but it’s got a large footprint, isn’t too flexible about where it can be situated, and if you move it around, the DIN connectors inevitably wiggle themselves loose from the underside of the unit: Definitely a case of function getting the second-class treatment in favor of visual beauty.

Back in their day, it wasn't terribly uncommon to see them mounted on the wall! :)

images

Random and not terribly informative nor aesthetic example of a wall-mounted unit courtesy of google & the internet.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back in their day, it wasn't terribly uncommon to see them mounted on the wall! :)

images

But now the touch controls are angled away from the user, and the large hinged panel concealing the secondary controls won’t stay open unless you hold it with one hand!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh goodness yes! Reminds me of the remotes with the lines of tiny indistinguishable buttons all the same size (accompanied by tiny writing indicating their function, of course).

I made the "mistake" of getting the black version of the Benchmark LA4 preamp. I prefer this generally because I'm not a fan of the Benchmark aesthetics and so this just disappears visual on my black equipment stand. On the other hand, those teeny black on black buttons are a constant problem for these aging eyes.
I'm actually considering putting a little bright sticker on the power button. (Fortunately the other functions are on the nice screen).
A constant source of annoyance is pressing eject instead of play because they are all identical size and colour. Put the disc back in, wait again for it to load up...

Who, in the evening, listens to music with the lights right up? Why are the buttons not coloured, or even better, lit in different colours like pro equipment? At least make them different sizes. On old CD players the play button would be twice or three times the size of the others. Eject would be smaller and separated from the other controls.

No-one bothers with that now, all they seem to be concerned about is visual neatness, minimalism and symmetry. Like the main purpose of the unit is to be looked at rather than used.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
But can it actually be bolted into a rack if situated beneath some other device which completely blocks the perforated top cover?
It's class A, but as a preamp ran fairly cool and had it in a rack for a while without any problems. I believe rack mount screw spacing always allow for 1/2" spacing between units.

Top Bottom