• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ethan Winer Builds a Wire Null Tester

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He didn't say that Ethan's test is blind. He says that some blind tests (and years of DIY) contradict Ethan's test. Which tests exactly is yet to be seen :)
Fair enough, but everything I said still holds true. The null test is definitive. I see no honest counter argument from people criticizing this experiment. You could listen to the null signal blind if you wanted to! It would still be silence :)

MRC01

Major Contributor
I think most of us know that ancient Greeks and perhaps even earlier societies knew the Earth was spherical. The ancient Greeks even estimated the size of the Earth with surprisingly good accuracy given their tools. I assumed the "many millenia" comment was about older human societies, like pre-agriculture, before 10,000 BC.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think most of us know that ancient Greeks and perhaps even earlier societies knew the Earth was spherical. The ancient Greeks even estimated the size of the Earth with surprisingly good accuracy given their tools. I assumed the "many millenia" comment was about older human societies, like pre-agriculture, before 10,000 BC.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Eratosthene de Cyrene.

A child can do the same thing if has trigonometry concepts

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I assumed the "many millenia" comment was about older human societies, like pre-agriculture, before 10,000 BC.

I would not have read it like that since once you go back that far there's not really any evidence of what people would have thought about the shape of the earth one way or the other.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Well, that's the point. The Earth appears (and is) relatively flat locally. If we go back far enough in time, there would no reason or evidence for anyone to assume it is any other shape. It's an assumption on our part, but a reasonable one based on Occam's razor. Otherwise they might as well assume the Earth to be banana-shaped, as Sir Bedevere explained in a famous movie.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we go back far enough in time, there would no reason or evidence for anyone to assume it is any other shape.

Not at all. All the evidence you could ever need would have been available to various cultures throughout pre-history.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that's the point. The Earth appears (and is) relatively flat locally. If we go back far enough in time, there would no reason or evidence for anyone to assume it is any other shape. It's an assumption on our part, but a reasonable one based on Occam's razor. Otherwise they might as well assume the Earth to be banana-shaped, as Sir Bedevere explained in a famous movie.

The point was there's no reason to believe the flat-earth concept in the presence of modern scientific knowledge and information. Just like there's little reason to believe in "major improvements" in audio caused by expensive power cables or interconnects. Such things may sound reasonable to an audiophile when confined to the "local space" of his listening room, but to the rest of the world, the concept has been proven wrong a long time ago.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Not at all. All the evidence you could ever need would have been available to various cultures throughout pre-history.
1000 years from now, if we Humans are still around, we'll have answered many unsolved/unknown mathematics and physics questions of today. Yet all the evidence we'll ever need to understand those answers already exists today, and has existed for billions of years.

The point was there's no reason to believe the flat-earth concept in the presence of modern scientific knowledge and information. Just like there's little reason to believe in "major improvements" in audio caused by expensive power cables or interconnects. Such things may sound reasonable to an audiophile when confined to the "local space" of his listening room, but to the rest of the world, the concept has been proven wrong a long time ago.
Agreed.

Hans-Wolfgang

I don't think Ethan's test will do much to change any of the die-hard believer's mind. The mechanism of the test is too complicated for them to grasp what it is demonstrating.

What it is good for is what Ethan says at the start: that is, we say cables make no difference but we don't have good data to point to. In that regard, it provides more evidence for us to be convinced of its truth.
Hello,
I'm sending you this link to a French video that's probably understandable with English subtitles. In my opinion, this young sound engineer gives an excellent demonstration of the absence of any influence of cable quality on digital signal transmission.
I, as a music lover and user of fairly standard HIFI equipment, would be interested in a typical installation at a reasonable cost, and which excludes as far as possible interference from analog streams (RCA, loudspeakers, cable crossovers etc.).
A second question I'm asking myself, like many others, is it "musically" useful to invest in a new streamer to listen in "HIRES" with Qobuz, or is my SONOS connect and Bridge1 module enough?

I really appreciate your work

Sincerely

Hans Wolfgang Spiess/ Rouen France

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The electrical signal (that carries the digital information) arguably can be different between different cables.
That, however, is not an issue for transmission of digital data as long as the data, represented by voltages, is not compromised too much for the receiver of that digital data so that it could misinterpret the electrical signal.

This thus depends on:
  • The data transmitter
  • The cable (yes it could matter)
  • The receiver
  • The processing of the received data
  • The conversion process
  • The analog section after the conversion
It also has nothing to do with the analog null tester discussed in this thread ;)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Also, when a digital audio transmission get bad enough to become audible, it won't result in the subtle effects people often imagine like "collapsing soundstage", "non-black background" and what have you. It will be more akin to playing a CD that's been used as a beer coasters for decades :D

I, as a music lover and user of fairly standard HIFI equipment, would be interested in a typical installation at a reasonable cost, and which excludes as far as possible interference from analog streams (RCA, loudspeakers, cable crossovers etc.).

You most likely have no interference worth mentioning in your current setup, and whatever's getting through is either not causing problems and/or those problems gets drowned completely in the residual noise of the system itself.

A second question I'm asking myself, like many others, is it "musically" useful to invest in a new streamer to listen in "HIRES" with Qobuz, or is my SONOS connect and Bridge1 module enough?

Only if those "Hi-Res" files have been compiled from better masters, and that's a bit of a crapshoot. Personally I woudn't bother.

Top Bottom