• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ESI U24XL interface questions

Lido

I'm trying to transfer some DAT tapes into WAV files in a "digital" way. I've got U24XL from ESI that seems to be working ok. I also have a SPDIF to USB receiver along with a SPDIF coax to optical converter (my deck only has coax SPDIF out and the SPDIF receiver only has optical in), which also seems to work. I'm using Audacity to record the audio stream and I notice the waveform is bigger/louder with the U24XL than it is if I use the SPDIF to USB receiver, which says to me that somehow one or both of these isn't really capturing the digital stream (otherwise the volume levels would be the same, right). Anyone have any idea if either of these arrangements is better? Is there a way to determine if I'm getting a "pure" digital transfer? Thanks.

Oh, and, side note, for some reason, I can transfer a 48k DAT to Audacity 3.3.3 on windows 10 with no distortion, but when I try the Mac version (also 3.3.3) I get distortion regardless of the buffer setting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom