• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why use USB from streamer to DAC?

kevin1969

Can anybody explain to me what the obsession is with people only wanting to use a USB connection from their streaming device to their DAC? This seems very prevalent in the PS audio forums, like coax or optical is just not up to transferring bits correctly so must have USB for anything to work correctly.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s your obsession with coax and optical? And why would you care what people at the PS Audio forum think?
On a serious note, USB is present on basically any modern device, and especially on PCs. Coax or Toslink you almost never see anymore these days. So it’s just very convenient to use USB.

And as @TonyJZX mentioned, USB also offers some modes of operation that the other two can’t offer.

Last edited:

tinnitus

DSP (digital) runs on PC hardware like Desktop NUC or Raspi and the standard transport for PC is USB. Why use other transports like spdif where you need interfaces?

formdissolve

Forum Donor
It's 2023 and asynchronous USB is a much better interface for modern DACs. I use Roon so it's nice to be able to deploy cheap Raspberry Pi's with Ropieee as a Roon Bridge and USB takes care of that. I use optical from my TV for video streaming, and Coax from my blu-ray player (to HDMI extractor) for discs.

OP
K

kevin1969

What’s your obsession with coax and optical? And why would you care what people at the PS Audio forum think
Maybe there's a reason people are using USB over coax or optical and I just don't know the reason why because I'm not an expert on the subject but thanks for your feedback.

OP
K

kevin1969

It's 2023 and asynchronous USB is a much better interface for modern DACs. I use Roon so it's nice to be able to deploy cheap Raspberry Pi's with Ropieee as a Roon Bridge and USB takes care of that. I use optical from my TV for video streaming, and Coax from my blu-ray player (to HDMI extractor) for discs.
Okay that makes sense. Thx!

JLGF1

WiiMs are just not modern enough.
Funny, that doesn't stop them from streaming hi-res music across two floors and 3000 sq ft.

popej

DSP (digital) runs on PC hardware like Desktop NUC or Raspi and the standard transport for PC is USB. Why use other transports like spdif where you need interfaces?
Most PC have decent analog output, probably with better SINAD than average amplifier. Why use external DAC at all?
As for Raspberry, I simply use HDMI for audio. Not the best solution but convenient.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most PC have decent analog output, probably with better SINAD than average amplifier. Why use external DAC at all?
As for Raspberry, I simply use HDMI for audio. Not the best solution but convenient.
Have you seen Amir's measurement of his Dell XPS desktop?

[Edit] And here is an IMD comparisons of a few other computers and a pc sound card.
index.php

Last edited:

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Maybe there's a reason people are using USB over coax or optical and I just don't know the reason why because I'm not an expert on the subject but thanks for your feedback.
Almost every personal computer has an USB interface, the same cannot be said for coax or optical. I personally use optical, because I can't hear any difference of sampling > 48kbps.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Have you seen Amir's measurement of his Dell XPS desktop?
That's what you get when buying from penny-pinching OEMs, I guess. A 3.3 V analog supply will be fine. Yeah right. They clearly didn't care one iota about audio performance, it was just more thing to be ticked off. That's one thing I used to like about Fujitsu(-Siemens) PCs, they generally didn't use fancy codecs but had this attention to detail spent on them.

Last edited:

alc

Audio Company
If we are comparing S/PDIF (or AES3) to USB UAC2 you might think that they should be the same since we should not expect to drop bits.

So let's assume that the digital data is identical from a data perspective. Let's also assume that whatever digital interface we are using is not adding noise to our DAC.

USB UAC2 has an important advantage over S/PDIF or AES3. The reason is jitter. The right data at the wrong time is the wrong data. This becomes increasing demanding as the data converter improves.

With S/PDIF the clock is recovered from the data stream. This means clock is generated at the server and will always deteriorate by the time it reaches the DAC DIR. The DIR recovers the clock. You have choices:

1. Use a PLL to provide jitter attenuation. The WM8805 was the typical best choice for this.
2. Use an ASRC to resync to a local master clock. If done with a good device, this will effectively make the jitter as good as the local clock.
3. Use a giant RAM buffer and reclock out with the local clock.
4. Do nothing to improve the jitter

FWIW: Option 4 is fairly horrible.

USB UAC2 uses the local clock as the master clock. This means the jitter is a function of the DAC where it should be much lower.

You can think of S/PDIF as a push method and UAC2 as a pull method.

Al

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Some years ago I was interested in performance of PC audio. Here some RMAA measurements:
Relatively inexpensive PCI card: Audigy 2 Vaule.
It would have been better to do this one at 48 kHz since the resampling artifacts are obvious (high-frequency components in THD+N and visible periodic ripple on FR), but performance is still approaching what a CS4382 can do. In fact, the 0202 USB sports the 2-channel version of this DAC, the CS4392, so you can just look at a loopback for comparison:
Rather low end chip used on motherboards: Realtek ALC892.
Perfectly usable, with no periodic ripple and total dynamic range slightly beyond CD levels. Instantaneous dynamic range could be better, but I doubt this is going to be a problem very often if ever (it's still 80 dB - you try hearing white noise 80 dB below a real-life signal). And that's basically the bread and butter option you find on boards that really have to keep parts cost down these days. The common ALC897 is better.

Props for avoiding ground loop issues BTW.

Top Bottom