• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ by eye from FR graph?

sharock

How might one go about designing a basic Harman EQ for this headphone with only a FR graph to go on? The Audio Technica ATH-ES10 is old enough that there are no other useful measurements I can find! This was on some random Russian website: https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-es10.php

Cheers.

1685026308156.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Without knowing it was tested on the exact same headphone head model that Harman uses? it's a crap shoot.

Curvature

Major Contributor
OP
S

sharock

Seems like this may be more effort than it's worth. o_O

Thanks guys.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I asked Sean Olive this exact question, and his reply was that anything <300Hz and >3000Hz is an approximation. It depends on the measurement rig, technique, clamping pressure, etc. not to mention the HRTF of the rig is different to your personal HRTF. All headphone measurements should be taken with a grain of salt outside the 300-3kHz band. If you lack the ability to measure your own personal HRTF with in-ear microphones, then use the measured response as a rough guide and EQ to your subjective taste.

mc.god

Use https://automeris.io/WebPlotDigitizer/tutorial.html to extract data.

Be careful about EQing low bass or anything above 1kHz, since that response is individual depends on coupling. The only correct method, which is still prone to error, is to use in-ear microphones and put headphones over them, and then make filters, as was done here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-the-art-headphone.25920/page-83#post-1445928
Some times ago I tried using webplotdigitizer and importing the data into autoeq for Revonext QT5 and Samson SR950 using the only fr graph i could find somwhere, and indeed the result was a total mess. It was just for fun since I like those two headphones just as they are and generally enjoy listening to heaphones with different sound profiles, unless they have gargantuan flaws.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Some times ago I tried using webplotdigitizer and importing the data into autoeq for Revonext QT5 and Samson SR950 using the only fr graph i could find somwhere, and indeed the result was a total mess. It was just for fun since I like those two headphones just as they are and generally enjoy listening to heaphones with different sound profiles, unless they have gargantuan flaws.
I understand you entirely.

Top Bottom