• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Enough power?

alaios

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So your Denon is 2x30W, and the Leak is 2 x 45W (8ohm)/2x65W (4ohm), so what's the problem?

OP
A

alaios

Any problems with that? The Leak amp will have a bit more power. If the Denon does well, the other one will as well.
My denon runs always at 25/60 power so it is somehow in the middle range.
What I have heard with amps is that they need to be pushed hard to stay on their linear range. I am not an expert though to judge what it means. I have also experienced the school of more power is better, this the reason I am asking

OP
A

alaios

So your Denon is 2x30W, and the Leak is 2 x 45W (8ohm)/2x65W (4ohm), so what's the problem?
That I might need much more power to keep the new amplifier "relaxed"

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The difference between 30W and 50W is just 2.2dB louder.
To get double the perceived loudness you need 10x more power so from 30W to 300W

When you start to hear distortion you are already severely clipping the amp (reached max output power), the volpot position does not say anything about the output power.

Last edited:
OP
A

alaios

correct, this is also my concern that I do not have a good understanding how much the all-in-one amplifier is being pushed

JSmith

Master Contributor
Speaker spec's suggest 20 - 100W of power and a 6 ohm nominal impedance, with a sensitivity (2.83V/1m) of 87dB.

It may be prudent to have a bit more power available for loud peaks though and to ensure the amp is not approaching clipping territory at any point. Especially if pushing it quite loud often.

If only ever listening at low or moderate volumes, your current amp is likely fine power wise.

JSmith

OP
A

alaios

This is the reason where I reported that L listen to the volume of 25/60 level which shows that the mini device is already pushed quite a bit.
Now since we discuss buying a new amplifier the question is how much more power would be enough

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I have heard with amps is that they need to be pushed hard to stay on their linear range.
That's nonsense.

This is the reason where I reported that L listen to the volume of 25/60 level which shows that the mini device is already pushed quite a bit.
How does it show this? Most volume pots are logarithmic. At 40%, you are nowhere near 40% of power. There is still plenty to go.

And if the 25 of 60 is loud enough you don't need to worry. If you're almost never going to go louder, you're good.

OP
A

alaios

Thanks a lot for the reply. Then I am good with my current mini system. How much power my new amp should have ?

JSmith

Master Contributor
How much power my new amp should have ?
I'd suggest something around 120w@4R or so and never max out the volume or you may push too much power to the speakers.

The new WiiM integrated streaming amp is around 100W@4R, so might be worth a look... as others have said though, you probably don't need to bother.

JSmith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Thanks a lot for the reply. Then I am good with my current mini system. How much power my new amp should have ?
How much louder do you want to play ?

When you want 3dB louder you will need 2x60W
When you want 6dB louder you will need 2x120W
When you want 10dB louder (a doubling of how loud you can go now) you will need a 2x300W amp

OP
A

alaios

How do you make such recommendation? Like 4x times more of what I have now?

OP
A

alaios

How much louder do you want to play ?

When you want 3dB louder you will need 2x60W
When you want 6dB louder you will need 2x120W
When you want 10dB louder (a doubling of how loud you can go now) you will need a 2x300W amp
but I also need to put in the equation how much I am using now out of the 30 watts.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is no equation for that. That needs to be measured.
You can turn up the volume and then note the volume where the sound becomes 'rougher'. At that point you have already exceeded the clipping level.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
How do you make such recommendation? Like 4x times more of what I have now?
Because loudness is a logarithmic scale. To double how loud something sounds to you requires 10x the power.

Used properly, a 45W amplifier will barely be louder than a 30W amplifier. At normal levels you are probably averaging 5W or so.

OP
A

alaios

There is no equation for that. That needs to be measured.
You can turn up the volume and then note the volume where the sound becomes 'rougher'. At that point you have already exceeded the clipping level.
I do not want to play that loud :( :(
I am happy when volume is at 25/60 or 29/60

I just do not want to destroy speakers or the amplifier in the long term and of course have optimal listening conditions (so amplifier stays in the linear range)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just do not want to destroy speakers or the amplifier in the long term and of course have optimal listening conditions (so amplifier stays in the linear range)
You won’t at these settings. You’re all set to enjoy, no changes needed in the amp department.

OP
A

alaios

Lovely then I can then buy the leak 130 and be sure that has enough power to drive my speakers, since the denon does just fine

Top Bottom