• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Energy Speakers

Kegemusha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I wonder if anyone have experience with a Canadian brand (at least I think the brand was from Canada) named Energy Speakers.
Seems like this brand is No more but were their speakers good? What are your thoughts on their speakers?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I wonder if anyone have experience with a Canadian brand (at least I think the brand was from Canada) named Energy Speakers.
Seems like this brand is No more but were their speakers good? What are your thoughts on their speakers?
I have muchO experience with the line. The speakers where very good and sold well.

eric-c

Forum Donor
Which speaker models specifically? Energy started out making "high end" speakers like the Energy 22's in the 80's then expanded to budget to "high end". Many of speakers in the 80s 90s maybe even 2000's were made in Canada then later off shored. The parent company ultimately got bought by klipsch. I owned many Energy speakers in the past and at least locally (Canada) they offered very good value.

Rick63

The RC-10 was a nice sounding and well put together little bookshelf speaker.

energy_rc10_front_back.jpg

OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

The RC-10 was a nice sounding and well put together little bookshelf speaker.

View attachment 368269
These are the ones I have (somewhere in the cellar) but in black I never found any good reviews on these. They also made some satellites CB-50 in same line for the RC-10, i think.

a4eaudio

The Reference Connoisseur ("RC") series were well regarded and there are lots of reviews out there. The ones in the posts above are the RC-10 bookshelf model, but they also had 3 tower versions, center channel and surround. They often showed up in the BEST OF under $1000 or $2000 lists.

The Veritas series were there top of the line, but were much more rare than the RC series.

They had several budget lines below the RC series - they were "good for the money".

Klipsch bought Energy (and Mirage) in 2006.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Ah Energy. I lusted after the Veritas 2.4is all through college and when I eventually graduated and got a job, my first big purchase was a pair of shiny new Energy Veritas 2.4is in piano black.

These days the Revel F328Bes have inherited their role in my stereo system, but I'm still rocking them in my Veritas-based 5.1 HT system. Still going strong although the rubber parts have started to stick a bit (easily fixed with some isopropyl alcohol and elbow grease).

Elkerton

Like cookiefactory, I still own pairs of Energy speakers (Pro 22s, C1s, C3s, CC1 and Sub), but Revels have replaced them in my main system, and I would never sell them, any of them.

Last edited:

JohnnyNG

I still own pairs of Energy speakers (Pro 22
The Pro 22 Reference Connoisseur was the first speaker I ever really lusted after. This was pre-internet so I had the magazine ad on my wall next to a Samantha Fox poster.

I also have an opened 5.0 set of Take 5 that I got really cheap ages ago but never managed to deploy.

cavedriver

Five of the Energy models have measurements posted from the NRC labs facility, including the NC-10 and Veritas 2.4i (non-S) mentioned above:

Curious that Energy's driver designs were proprietary and now "owned" by Klipsch. I wonder if today's Klipsch RP-series speakers carry down any of that knowledge, although perhaps only some of the "cheaper" tech as the higher tech in the Veritas lines seems to have sadly disappeared. I'm thinking of the aluminum midrange domes and the composite woofer cones. I wonder if they were competitive with current technology, like Revel's CMMD composite woofer cones. Found an image of one of the drivers pulled from a speaker:
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

cavedriver

Crossover from a Veritas 2.4. Interesting parts decisions here in line with current engineering thinking on cost/benefit of various components. Looks like tweeter components in lower left, midrange in upper left and possibly part of upper right, and woofers in middle and lower right:
s-l500.jpg

Mid dome and tweeter both seem to be mildly horn loaded and nicely integrated. Makes sense these measured well and sounded good:
s-l500.jpg

a backside view of the cone of one of the midranges, no reinforcing rings ala Purifi (wouldn't expect it), cone material appears to have same silver-white color on back as it has on front, rubber surrounds glued to front faces of cones. Note the frame looks to be some kind of GRP. I didn't copy the image but where the cooling fins are there is also a threaded nut welded on for the retaining rods they used. Nice touch. Not much else to see here except what is that cone material?
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Kegemusha

Kegemusha

I gave the RC-10 (they look like new) to my brother in law, hooked to some aiyma 07 and sounded really nice.
I had them before hooked them to a Yamaha AVR recieved and remember sounded also nice. I still own the satellites speakers, CB50 I think they were called.

a4eaudio

Mid dome and tweeter both seem to be mildly horn loaded and nicely integrated. Makes sense these measured well and sounded good:
s-l500.jpg
Do you know if the tweeter is removable from the "faceplate"? I looked at a pair on eBay but it looked like the might be permanently attached. I'd probably buy the tweeters just to put in a DIY design if they are removable.

cavedriver

Do you know if the tweeter is removable from the "faceplate"? I looked at a pair on eBay but it looked like the might be permanently attached. I'd probably buy the tweeters just to put in a DIY design if they are removable.
without the faceplate I wouldn't expect their tweeters to be anything special - at best they are a competently designed aluminum dome tweeters like many others available today on the market. If it was between throwing them in the trash and testing them in a DIY housing you have laying around then yes, I suppose they probably could turn out ok. For my time I'd buy any of a number of tweeters in the $20~50 dollar range that are probably equally good or better. Regarding the housing, yes I probably looked at the same Ebay listing and you can clearly see the two drivers are mounted on that cover plate, but are they bonded on or screwed in somehow - I couldn't tell. There are four screws on each accessible from the front side that probably allows the driver assembly to be removed from it's faceplate, but does the whole back cover come out with it or is that part glued on after the driver core is attached to the faceplate? I'd have to play with it. Since they are OEM the assembly sequence could have been whatever was most convenient for Energy.

jonfitch

My dream speakers as a kid were the Energy Veritas V2.2i but I could never afford them.

Now that I can afford the used one's in the secondary market I've avoided them because the midrange drivers are known for dying =/

Top Bottom