• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Empyrean 2 vs Atrium Open + HD800s (Advice Needed)

Your_Toilet

Hi everyone!

I am deciding between the Empy 2 or the combination of the Atriums + HD800s. I was wondering which is a better all-rounder set for vocals, instrumentals, movies, gaming, video-editing, pop, rock, etc.

Though I listen to a lot acoustic, orchestral, vocal focused songs, kpop and jpop, EDM, and love to watch action movies with a lot of practical effects and play a lot of atmospheric single player games.

My sources are
Feliks Euforia AE --> Topping DX9.

Let me know!

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hellow! :)

Judging from your shortlist, I get the perception that you are not only after a good sound, whatever that might mean to you, but you also value a good build quality, durability, good looks, maybe long term comfort - it that right?

You haven't told us anything about your taste or preferences really - you said you liked your headphones to perform well at pretty much everything people use headphones for.

What kind of headphones you tried and liked so far? Which Atrium is in your radar? why did you shortlist these specific cans - what is your decision criteria. Without knowing these at least, people will tell you what they think is better for them, not what they think is better for you.

Objective headphone review and recommendation is a myth in my opinion. What sounds great and is very comfortable and looks great for someone else might sound not so good to you, might feel like a medieval torture device physically and be very ugly as per your taste. So try to find out reviews that provide you with a wide variety of objective data and information. I'd recommend solderdude's site but I don't think he reviewed any Atriums or Empyrean II. Your best chance is to see if you can get to try them before you buy them honestly.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Objective headphone review and recommendation is a myth in my opinion. What sounds great and is very comfortable and looks great for someone else might sound not so good to you, might feel like a medieval torture device physically and be very ugly as per your taste.
Nail'd it! Listen and chose when headphones are the subject. If you have the available selection to choose from all the better.

OP
Y

Your_Toilet

Hellow! :)

Judging from your shortlist, I get the perception that you are not only after a good sound, whatever that might mean to you, but you also value a good build quality, durability, good looks, maybe long term comfort - it that right?

You haven't told us anything about your taste or preferences really - you said you liked your headphones to perform well at pretty much everything people use headphones for.

What kind of headphones you tried and liked so far? Which Atrium is in your radar? why did you shortlist these specific cans - what is your decision criteria. Without knowing these at least, people will tell you what they think is better for them, not what they think is better for you.

Objective headphone review and recommendation is a myth in my opinion. What sounds great and is very comfortable and looks great for someone else might sound not so good to you, might feel like a medieval torture device physically and be very ugly as per your taste. So try to find our reviews that provide you with a wide variety of objective data and information. I'd recommend solderdude's site but I don't think he reviewed any Atriums or Empyrean II. Your best change is to see if you can get to try them before you buy them honestly.
Based on where I live, unfortunately there isn't an audio store close by for me to try any high-end headphones out :( So I'm trying to go off other peoples perspectives and reviews.

The headphones I've tried so far are Superlux HD688B, M50x, Philips SHP9500, Philips X2HR, DT 1770 Pro, LCD 2 (Fazor), Audeze Maxwell. So far out of all of these, the LCD 2 Fazor edition with my old 789 AMP was my favourite. I also loved the V shape sound of the Maxwell Immersive preset.

If I were to only have 1 headphone, I want something in the middle that can be played across all genres.

I typically look for something that doesn't sound too harsh in the treble, has really good mid-range and detail, while being relaxing enough to not sound fatiguing to my ears. I also prefer if soundstage is expansive for the instruments while the vocals stay sort of intimate. I also prefer if the bass is not too overpowering but I like a bit of punch. I prefer more of fun rather than a reference sounding headphone.

My friend was kind enough to sell me his used euforia ae and his dx9. And I heard these 3 headphones suit really well for them.

The reason why I am interested in the Empy 2 is because of its overall design, build quality, cabling and it looks to be more comfortable aswell. The black and silver look matches my setup and it is machined so well and really appreciate the amount of engineering put into these. The intricacies of the cup and the carbon fibre headband makes me really happy. As for the sound, I heard that it is a really fun, warm, lush headphone while having the details still there.

I am also interested on the Atriums for the same reason. I love the gorgeous wood design and how it'll be unique for every customer and how it is one of the best headphones for mid-range and it'll only excel when using tubes. With its warm and punchy sound signature, I thought it'll be a great compliment to the HD800s.

I've been interested on the HD800/s ever since I was a kid. I've always dreamed of owning one. So it kind of has a sort of achievement or sentimental value to me. I heard that the soundstage is one of the biggest out of everything and the transient response is on another level. I heard that they also benefit a lot from tubes and I'll be mostly these for gaming, classical, jazz, and orchestral pieces, maybe even video editing while the Atriums are for the rest.

Mr Swing King

If you want something a la the LCD-2 that isn’t too aggressive in the treble, then neither the Atrium or HD800S are going to be your jam. The Atrium is like an HD650 only with a piercing peak at around 5-6k. The HD650 is a much better headphone imho.
The HD800S also comes with a good amount of treble energy, so yeah unless you are going to EQ your headphone, I’d strongly recommend you look elsewhere.

The Meze Empyrean looks like a good candidate if you want that laidback signature and all around fantastic comfort. I used to own one but ended up hanging on to my old HE500, which to me ever so slightly beat out the Meze from a sound quality perspective. The Empyrean though won on comfort:)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You seem to be interested in subjective opinions from owners. I wouldn't count on that, but if that is what you are looking for I am not sure if I will be able to provide you that. Maybe someone else can. From that list the only headphone I own is the HD800S. If you have a little crush on HD800S, maybe I suggest start from there and see also if you can get an EQ solution up an running. I do love 800S as well - coupled with an EQ, they are one of my favorite headphones. Personally, I would not spend money on Empyrean II as their frequency response seems unbalanced. Maybe you can look into Hifiman Arya as an option as well. Atrium I have no idea.

IXOYE

It is incomprehensible to me that someone can spend 3000$ on a pair of headphones based solely on subjective opinions from owners.

Top Bottom