• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electric guitar audio science?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other responses have mentioned Squier-- 80s Japanese Squiers bring as much dough as later US Fender models, because the guitars at the Japanese factories were being built by hand at that point.

As for Gibsons, the same applies: A different colleague who worked for Gibson told me that employees buy high-end Epiphones, rather than stock US Gibsons because the QC at the Epiphone plant is much higher.
Price has no definite relation to quality, if by quality we mean fit and finish. Phil McKnight's recent YT video on a new American made Gibson LP custom shop: knob fell off, and the neck was scratched, out of the case. A seven thousand dollar guitar, once you add tax? I'm almost certain that if you buy a new McIntosh preamp for that amount, the knobs won't fall off, and the glass won't be scratched, from the factory.

Recently ordered an Epiphone SG Standard. Cracked at the nut, down into the neck/headstock. You almost expect a few of that, coming all the way from China. I'm surprised it wasn't caught during set up, such as they do it. Gibson sent a new guitar, and I must say that the replacement is first rate. Because of inflation, Epiphones are no longer what I consider inexpensive.

FWIW, I was trying out some actual inexpensive guitars ($450.00) and was horrified at Squire QC. Both a Carbonita Tele and Toronado had such loose receptacles that the jack would fall out. Poor fretwork.

I walked out with the cheapest Schecter, which surprised me, since metal isn't my thing. But it played so well, and sounded so good, I forgot my embarrassment. I've now become a shredder! LOL

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
IMHO the wood and shape makes a difference. The body vibrates (I can feel it) and resonant freqs. are effected by the mass size and damping of the material. For your first test compare 2 different sizes of the same wood, the other factors will be the same.

Other factors however will make more difference. The strings (gauge, material, age, use), pickups, electronics, and mostly the way you play. The tone is in your fingers.

Top Bottom