• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaudio Heritage Special

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have any problem admitting I like having nice things.
I also have no problem of buying expensive stuff because it looks and feels nice but I would try in that case at least a nicely matching look of electronics and also not hang my parents 1970s carpets on the wall as decoration or acoustic improvement where it fails on both.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I also have no problem of buying expensive stuff because it looks and feels nice but I would try than at least a nicely matching look of electronics and also not hang my parents 70s carpets on the wall.

It's the first time I've also seen Persian carpets used as sound treatments.

Although at home I have a much smaller Turkish carpet (souvenir from Istanbul) to the left of my left speakers doing similar duties.

Also, you can't blame the store for the electronics on display. I specifically asked for that Luxman amp to be hooked up to the speakers.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Although at home I have a much smaller Turkish carpet (souvenir bought in Istanbul) to the left of my left speakers doing similar duties.

Also, you can't blame the store for the electronics on display. I specifically asked for that Luxman amp to be hooked up to the speakers.
Low depth carpets like Persian ones are except from design also acoustically not a good choice as they only damp the higher frequencies leading to a non balanced reflected reverberant sound.
Well, if he added the Luxman for you he can be forgiven, not for the carpets though. :p

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Low depth carpets like Persian ones are except from design also acoustically not a good choice as they only damp the higher frequencies leading to a non balanced reflected reverberant sound.
Well, if he added the Luxman for you he can be forgiven, not for the carpets though. :p

I'm just happy I could get a demo slot during Covid and that they let me stay overtime.

I appreciate their effort to have a social distancing process that still allowed a few customers in the store at a time.

I've been to audio salons where the rooms were amazingly treated, but the staff were douchebags.

I'd rather deal with nice guys and a less amazing room.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been to audio salons where the rooms were amazingly treated, but the staff were douchebags.

I'd rather deal with nice guys and a less amazing room.
So do I, still those 2 issues are independent from each other and in an ideal audio world also a nice guys shop would have some basic acoustics knowledge. ;)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So do I, still those 2 issues are independent from each other and in an ideal audio world also a nice guys shop would have some basic acoustics knowledge. ;)

For all I know, there was acoustic stuff behind the carpet. I didn't peek.

Regardless, as always, the dealer demo room isn't my room and in this case, it's very different from mine no matter what.

My room has tile floors, higher ceiling, and is about twice the size.

Todd74

Sorry to say so but looks to me like a typical highend audiophool setup with combines the worst possible tech, sound and design quality per money spent. :p
I also have no problem of buying expensive stuff because it looks and feels nice but I would try in that case at least a nicely matching look of electronics and also not hang my parents 1970s carpets on the wall as decoration or acoustic improvement where it fails on both.
Wow, pretty obnoxious. I presume you’re one of these people who believes his opinion matters infinitely more than it truly does and feels it needs to be expressed at all times, even when not asked for, nor is appropriate. Bet you bore the hell out of people at parties with your insipid monologues focused around highlighting your “superiority” to everyone else in the room. ;)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
The walnut veneer waterfall shown in the last picture is very nicely done.

Next time you don't have a micrometer, try a fingernail, if you didn't. That should help you detect any steps over .005" even if you can't tell with the skin of your fingertip.

I was thinking the same thing about treatment behind the panels. My first thought was, "That looks like a good way to cover up an ugly-ass burlap-covered pine frame full of rockwool."

Looking forward to your impressions and the development of your plans.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The walnut veneer waterfall shown in the last picture is very nicely done.

Next time you don't have a micrometer, try a fingernail, if you didn't. That should help you detect any steps over .005" even if you can't tell with the skin of your fingertip.

I was thinking the same thing about treatment behind the panels. My first thought was, "That looks like a good way to cover up an ugly-ass burlap-covered pine frame full of rockwool."

Looking forward to your impressions and the development of your plans.

Oh, you want listening impressions?

Are those allowed?

After all, I was sighted and I'm biased in that I like the looks and the general house sound. :)

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
But will say this in comparison to the Contour 20:

• The cabinet is niiiiiiiice. The pictures don't do it justice. The joints are tight, the routing and edging is smooth. It's obviously hand-made and not mass-made in a factory; the Revel Performa cabinets look cheap in comparison. I have some walnut furniture that has aged amazingly well; this veneer should only get better with time if properly cared for. It's similar in some ways to the finish on a Spendor, but with tighter fit and finish. There were some Sonus Fabers in the room and the wood grain was similar in quality, but the Sonus Fabers had a very glossy lacquer finish, while the Heritage Special is more old school hand oil-rubbed. Much more Scandinavian minimalist and less blingy than the Italian speakers.
  • The "knuckle rap test" had a solidity similar to the Contour 20 cabinet; I was worried it might be be more lossy or vibrant. Yeah, I know, it's not an accelerometer, but the box may look retro, but it doesn't seem built boomy retro.
  • You can stick your hand in the port in the back, which I can't do on the Contour 20. I thought this big-ass port might have some noise, but even putting my ear near the back, I couldn't hear any.
  • It actually looks good with the magnetic grill on. It may be the first Dynaudio that I like with grills on.
  • The Heritage Special is quite a bit smaller vs the Contour 20 than I realized. I haven't calculated, but I'm guessing 70%* of the cabinet volume.
  • It's shorter, so stand + feet may have to be adjusted relative to the Contour 20 to get the same tweeter height, if sitting close.
  • I'm reluctant to comment on the bass given how much of that is room dependent. But it sounded very different in the bass. As a bass player, I think of this as body vs strings.
  • Having played with toe-in in the room, the Heritage Special is not as toe-in sensitive as the Contour 20. I'm guessing it has better directivity.
  • The Confidence / Heritage Special Esotar 3 tweeter definitely bests the already-very-very-good Esotar 2 in the Contour 20. It's a noticeable difference. Not a night and day extreme difference, but it's also not subtle (yes, their crossovers are different, too).

EDIT:

*According to the specs, the external volume of the Heritage Special is 25.6 liters, while the Contour 20 is 34.05 liters. So, by outer dimensions, the Heritage Special is 75% the size of the Contour 20, and that's external. I think I was pretty close at guessing 70% for internal volume.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, pretty obnoxious. I presume you’re one of these people who believes his opinion matters infinitely more than it truly does and feels it needs to be expressed at all times, even when not asked for, nor is appropriate. Bet you bore the hell out of people at parties with your insipid monologues focused around highlighting your “superiority” to everyone else in the room. ;)
You really think you know me, well... nope, also funnily you just did much worse than you accuse me. :facepalm:
By the way I knew it is not his system and never criticised some low budget room, but its the combination of much money with no taste I don't like and will name so in a public forum.
And to reply to your response in the same polemic way you wrote it :p, this wouldn't happen at a party as I don't have such a tasteless newrich friend circle. ;)

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Getting back to the speaker....

Here is a mock up of it on white stands:

129758371_3721787264531632_5466647937853704519_o.jpg

I think that will look better in my room than the black stands.

I'll put the current Gaia feet on it, unless they don't fit for some reason.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Might be cheaper options out there.

Maybe someone had a bad rug experience...

Top Bottom