• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynamic range - dumb question.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't listen to some classical music. The multitude of instruments/sections, musical parts, and their interaction presents a cacophony of sound that is overbearing.

IMD?
Too much kangaroo juice I imagine. :p

stod

Sorry, I thought it was obvious? Hard to give an answer that will satisfy you, but for a start, none of the instruments are running through a Marshall stack (although that would be interesting lol).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sorry, I thought it was obvious? Hard to give an answer that will satisfy you, but for a start, none of the instruments are running through a Marshall stack (although that would be interesting lol).
Sorry but the problem is you generalize way too much, a usual failing of classical music fans derision of the importance of anything else.
"Popular" music whether rock, country, blues, jazz, folk, whatever comes in all different types. Hard rock "Marshall Stack" Hendrix type is but a tiny portion of whats available from non-classical genres. From Buddy Guy/Junior Wells - Alone and Acoustic, to Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, to Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson flute playing with a full acoustic band support, to The Electric Light Orchestra, to --------------------------
So no, it's not obvious, it's not even close to true.

stod

Don't understand the testiness, I don't listen to Classical Music, I mainly listen to Hard Rock & "obviously" with quieter &/or cleaner sounding music, you can hear background noise of all sorts much easier than say listening to Death Metal. It's pretty simple, pretty obvious & pretty true. It doesn't matter what the recording is, you're gonna hear more detail (good & bad) in a quiet environment than you are in a noisy environment???

tuga

Major Contributor
I can't listen to some classical music. The multitude of instruments/sections, musical parts, and their interaction presents a cacophony of sound that is overbearing.

IMD?

Are you referring to particular recordings of orchestral music?

IMD makes sense, significant levels HD as well, high noise-floor in electronic equipment, "grainy" quality of treble, "wow" if you're listening to vinyl, driver resonances, exaggerated "presence" (bump in FR around 2-5kHz).
Could in part be your room if it's too lively/reflective.
Maybe you are listening too loud?
Could be the recordings as well (tonal balance, close-mic'ing, stereo mixing issues).

tuga

Major Contributor
Classical Music demands a high DR of at least 16dB (maybe 14dB absolute minimum). If you compress it, the very quiet passages become equal to the very loud passages, which is not true to the style of the music. The best way to listen to Classical Music is either with headphones &/or a perfectly settup & quiet listening room. I cannot imagine anyone trying to listen to Classical Music in their car, as it's just not a workable environment for the style of music (I myself do not listen to classical music, but I have mixed & mastered many recordings).

EDIT: You also have to remember that the more compression or limiting you use, the more distortion you're adding. The unwanted distortion might be fine for Rock, but it's really a thing to avoid in Classical Music. This is also one of the main reason that so-called Hi-Res recordings sound better. It has nothing to do with the higher available frequencies that you can't hear anyway, it's to do with how the files are processed (or more to the point, not processed).

Sometimes I listen to the Proms broadcast as I'm driving home and at times I am forced to do my own compressing with the volume knob.

tuga

Major Contributor
I don't think that there would be a single reason for compression to be used in classical music recordings if the recordings were made in real stereo (2-channel 2-mic or 2-main + 2-ambience for large ensembles) but nowadays almost everyone is sprinkling mics all over the place and making stereo mixes.
And when you multi-mic close you have to compress and EQ and mix and that destroy the soundscape, messes-up separation and adds distortion, sounding less realistic and making your brain work hard.

Classical is my preferred genre and in my system I have no problem with any very wide dynamic range I own; I listen at lower SPL than any audiophile I know and find the levels at most show and store demos insultingly loud.
If you have to play it too loud either your room's noise floor is very high or your system cannot resolve at very low levels. Or maybe your speakers are bass-shy and you only perceive a bit of bass when you turn it up.

Car radios, phones, TV set and soundbars should come with a DSP "compression" chip for that purpose, just as amps used to come with a "loudness/contour" circuit years ago.

I've merged the 14 tracks of a Denon recording of Belioz' Lélio, ou Le retour à la vie by Inbal and the Frankfurt RSO.

At 16:00 the level drops 30dB which is more than the dynamic amplitude of 99% of the 3500 rock-pop songs in my music library, most of them at least 20 years old.

4aqEzU2.png

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
Agreed. There could be a lot of reasons for that, depends how it was recorded ect ect

Nope, loudness and musical information overload/interaction. Usually symphonies and hyperactive composers. Occasionally Frank Zappa.
Don't%20tell%20anyone.gif

Wombat

Master Contributor
...and usually it's the fault of the person that mixed it. You can have a good or bad mix with any genre of music.

No. It just grates - for me.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Does it also happen when you listen live? (trying to exclude you as cause)

I don't attend live classical performances.

As others are happy with the classical music I find problematical I think it is me. Maybe not just me, though.

tuga

Major Contributor
I don't attend live classical performances.

As others are happy with the classical music I find problematical I think it is me. Maybe not just me, though.

Do you know if it's particular of complex classical music or if it also happens with other genres?

Maybe some of Beirut's music, or Fanfare Ciocărlia's, may also trigger an identical response for its strong and lound brass content and multiple instruments. Or some big band jazz?

If you don't listen to any of this live your system/roomcould also be playing a part.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Do you know if it's particular of complex classical music or if it also happens with other genres?

Maybe some of Beirut's music, or Fanfare Ciocărlia's, may also trigger an identical response for its strong and lound brass content and multiple instruments. Or some big band jazz?

If you don't listen to any of this live your system/roomcould also be playing a part.

I'm out. I listen for pleasure and not for deep analysis.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Because most pop music is deliberately distorted to start with. Of course, the reality is what we really want is for X to = X. But some folks, cough, cough, vinyl supremacists, cough, really do like the pre-distortion of "classic" LP playback.

Seeing one of your later posts, I've been involved in enough recording to be able to observe how common various post production tools are used to compress, eq or otherwise alter the raw materials of a recording. This is not a bad thing, but this is not "The Absolute Sound". Honestly, microphones all "distort" the sound, and many recording engineers, musicians and producers deliberately seek out the of compression of analog tape.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because most pop music is deliberately distorted to start with. Of course, the reality is what we really want is for X to = X. But some folks, cough, cough, vinyl supremacists, cough, really do like the pre-distortion of "classic" LP playback.

Seeing one of your later posts, I've been involved in enough recording to be able to observe how common various post production tools are used to compress, eq or otherwise alter the raw materials of a recording. This is not a bad thing, but this is not "The Absolute Sound". Honestly, microphones all "distort" the sound, and many recording engineers, musicians and producers deliberately seek out the of compression of analog tape.

This is just the same classical/acoustic bias again.

Those effects aren't distortion because they part of the intended sound. By your logic, the overtones on a purely acoustic instrument are "distortion" as well.

stod

This is just the same classical/acoustic bias again.

Those effects aren't distortion because they part of the intended sound. By your logic, the overtones on a purely acoustic instrument are "distortion" as well.
Distortion is used as a recording/mastering tool, but distortion is still distortion whether it's intended or not. Generally analogue distortion is good, digital distortion is bad. Scientifically, your ears enjoy the distortion produced by a turntable, but hates the jitter produced by digital sources.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion is used as a recording/mastering tool, but distortion is still distortion whether it's intended or not. Generally analogue distortion is good, digital distortion is bad. Scientifically, your ears enjoy the distortion produced by a turntable, but hates the jitter produced by digital sources.

You left out the mechanical and acoustic sources of distortion. ;)

Top Bottom