• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynaco A25

Goodman

Is the Dynaco A25 basicaly the same as the Devore Audio speaker?

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, DeVore Orangutan O/96 and O/93 are conventional vented (bass-reflex) enclosures. Dynaco A25 has aperiodic loading.

OP
G

Goodman

No, DeVore Orangutan O/96 and O/93 are conventional vented (bass-reflex) enclosures. Dynaco A25 has aperiodic loading.
The drivers sure are similar physically and made by the same manufacturers. Made to Devore specification. OH Please ? Aperiodic loading is the same as put a sock in it.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, it is not the same as putting a sock in it.
Similar driver sizes are obvious, the difference is in the bass loading.
DeVore Orangutan O/96 and O/93 are designed and built without socks in them.

SwampYankee

they just look like the seas a26 parts in a bigger cabinet.
They share a conceptual lineage. The old Boston Acoustic A100s begat the Advent Legacy on the acoustic suspension 10-inch/2-way branch of the family tree. The A26 is an update of the original SEAS-designed Dynaco A25. Devore's resurrection of the large woofer 2-way design is interesting given the inherent directivity challenges, but the proportions look to be inspired by the 60's and 70's versions.

OP
G

Goodman

They share a conceptual lineage. The old Boston Acoustic A100s begat the Advent Legacy on the acoustic suspension 10-inch/2-way branch of the family tree. The A26 is an update of the original SEAS-designed Dynaco A25. Devore's resurrection of the large woofer 2-way design is interesting given the inherent directivity challenges, but the proportions look to be inspired by the 60's and 70's versions.
Sounds about right but the big difference is the 12 thousand dollars price from a self claimed speaker designer with no credentials. Hope nobody falls for this.

audiopile

Enthusiastically sold A-25's back in the day. Have no idea how many pairs i bought cheap n used over the following years and sold on. Probably been at least 10years since I bought a pair -simply because they've become famious and are immediately snapped up by flippers. Bought A26's from Madisound a few years ago after hearing them -still own 'em and frankly am still both pleased n impressed with them - they do what A25;s do with just a little deeper into the bass and better treble response. I give the SEAS engineers credit -they did a great job recreating n upgrading my favorite "vintage"speaker. Never heard the Devore -so no opinion on it.

OP
G

Goodman

...and your credentials are.....?
I don't need credentials, I am not schlepping 12 thousand dollar speakers; I don't like the BS sales pitch from people posing as technicians on various media, such as the one hinted, there are others.

OP
G

Goodman

Enthusiastically sold A-25's back in the day. Have no idea how many pairs i bought cheap n used over the following years and sold on. Probably been at least 10years since I bought a pair -simply because they've become famious and are immediately snapped up by flippers. Bought A26's from Madisound a few years ago after hearing them -still own 'em and frankly am still both pleased n impressed with them - they do what A25;s do with just a little deeper into the bass and better treble response. I give the SEAS engineers credit -they did a great job recreating n upgrading my favorite "vintage"speaker. Never heard the Devore -so no opinion on it.
I agree with your comments, I actually bough a pair of A-25 from a flipper recently and was pleasantly surprised by the quality for the money compared to speakers costing 10 or 20 time the money. I really should not be surprised; David Hafler was an unsurpassed giant in the American Audio industry.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Things like the KLH Six, KLH Seventeen, and AR-14 predate the A100 and the Advent Legacy.
All of the above work... umm... better than they should. ;)

1650137481150.jpeg

source: 1960 Harvey Radio catalog

audiopile

When I sold A-25's new -they generally sold to folks interested in classical-jazz or folk/vocal music -not often to a turn it up rock n roller. So noticeably fewer failures in use or abuse (hmm-actually I don't remember ever replacing or repairing one under warranty -that's just weird ???). As the decades wore on -the big advantage was the butyl rubber woofer surround -these didn't rot -so I even bought some without being able to listen to 'em in the hope they would work (OK-cheap). Originally sales were through PX/BX at prices that included shipping back to the USA for free -for less than my wholesale price as a dealer here. A lot of folks would wander into my store and be up front about how their GI bros wanted them to listen to these before he bought 'em -I'd play 'em -bros would buy 'em. Can't say this made me particularly happy at the time -but goes a long way towards explaining how Dynaco sold such a outragious number of them.

SwampYankee

The legacy of Vilachur and Kloss via Cambridge MA is impressive. I agree that the butyl rubber surrounds on the A25/A35 look excellent in hindsight. There are probably far more A25s in circulation that haven't been serviced than any of their contemporaries. I have a soft spot for most of the 70's-era acoustic suspension (vs. generic sealed) speakers. They have their short-comings, but did more right than most of the huge bass reflex designs that were on the market at the same time. I never developed an appreciation of the 4+ driver monkey coffin designs that I remember from systems at my family friends' houses.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There were zillions* of A25s and their kin (A35, A25XL, etc.) sold over a pretty long stretch of time.
They were, and, I'd opine, still are exceedingly pleasant loudspeakers to listen to, and unfussy vis-a-vis amplifier/power requirements.

Last edited:

UDXL2C90

I still enjoy listening to my pair of Boston Acoustics A70 Mk II speakers. Purchased in 1991.

This ~24" tall, ~9" deep, ~11" wide design seems to be a kind of sweet spot for modest cost, acoustic suspension speakers. You'd think one of the speaker "kit" companies would have a version. Maybe with the success of Wharfedale Linton, KLH Model 5, etc they will appear in the next few years.

Top Bottom