• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dx7 pro plus or dx5

dazatron

I just ordered and received a dx7 pro plus from China. The headphone amp goes into protection every time. I've now got the hassle of returning and waiting for my money, major headache. My question is would I notice much difference if I order a dx5, which I can get from the UK. Thank

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered and received a dx7 pro plus from China. The headphone amp goes into protection every time. I've now got the hassle of returning and waiting for my money, major headache. My question is would I notice much difference if I order a dx5, which I can get from the UK. Thank
Very much doubt anyone would notice a difference.

OP
D

dazatron

Im not that clued up with all this, I'm a music lover first and a gear lover second. The approx 2v from RCA is the same as the dx7, and I'm using it this way connected to a power amp. The headphone amp is important cus I need it, but absolute performance isn't a priority there. So I'm asking basically the power output and volume should be the same?

Very much doubt anyone would notice a difference.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Im not that clued up with all this, I'm a music lover first and a gear lover second. The approx 2v from RCA is the same as the dx7, and I'm using it this way connected to a power amp. The headphone amp is important cus I need it, but absolute performance isn't a priority there. So I'm asking basically the power output and volume should be the same?
2v is pretty much standard rca line out levels. Note that's a max output level with a full strength digital signal input. If you reduce the signal either in the source player or in the dac, the voltage out reduces accordingly. But yes, all things being equal, the same.

OP
D

dazatron

2v is pretty much standard rca line out levels. Note that's a max output level with a full strength digital signal input. If you reduce the signal either in the source player or in the dac, the voltage out reduces accordingly. But yes, all things being equal, the same.
So just to be clear before I give myself a bigger headache, both units give the same volume and output under identical conditions. Oh and thanks very much for your help

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So just to be clear before I give myself a bigger headache, both units give the same volume and output under identical conditions. Oh and thanks very much for your help
Yes, both are specced at 2.1 v @0dbfs via rca out (and 4.2 via XLR). The 7 can go louder with 300ohm headphones but actually gives a bit to DX5 on 32 ohm headphones but that shouldnt be an issue for you or most anyone else.

OP
D

dazatron

Yes, both are specced at 2.1 v @0dbfs via rca out (and 4.2 via XLR). The 7 can go louder with 300ohm headphones but actually gives a bit to DX5 on 32 ohm headphones but that shouldnt be an issue for you or most anyone else.
Great. Thanks ever so much. Gonna grab a dx5 from scan then, and get this dx7 sent back to China.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Great. Thanks ever so much. Gonna grab a dx5 from scan then, and get this dx7 sent back to China.
Just out of interest, when you try the headphone amp, what headphones are you using, connected how and what output level? Not sure how you could possibly be doing anything "wrong" but Im surprised at the DX7 doing that (going into protection straight away)

OP
D

dazatron

It goes into protection even without using headphones. It was using optical last night for TV and the volume went of, I heard a circuit kick in and the screen said hp protect. I could only switch it off at the back. I had to go into the long menu by holding in the knob and switching on at the back in order to switch off the hp output otherwise it would trip as soon as I turned it on. With it off it came on but as soon as I selected hp output it went straight into protection mode again. I wasn't a happy bunny

Top Bottom