• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DX3 Pro vs D10 + JDS Atom

DX3 Pro VS D10+Atom

• Total voters

SoBu

Update
I ended up ordering the D50s because there was only 1 in stock for 278CAD (210USD) on Amazon, and I didn't want to miss a good price.
Edit: Already purchased the Atom and cables from JDS

Hello Everyone,

After reading a lot of reviews and threads here on ASR, I think I've decided between the Topping DX3 Pro or the D10+JDS Atom. The cost of each setup is about CAD300. The DX3 Pro would be purchased here: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07KTZMRS2/ , and the D10 will also be from Amazon. I can return either of them in 30 days as per Amazon's return policy.

I'm looking for something that should last me at least 5-10 years even if I make some upgrades. I intend to use it for my desktop.
My usage with either setup now would be:
-USB input to DAC/Amp
-DAC/Amp to Headphones (HD 599 + M50x) & to Edifier R1280DB
-Bluetooth? Not sure if I need or would use this as I currently don't. Would realistically only use for my speakers, but they already have Bluetooth
Potential future usage would be:
-Higher impedance headphones (Up to 300 Ohm?)
-Multiple inputs sources? (unlikely given desktop usage)
-Remote control across the room for speakers? But they already have bluetooth, just not able to control volume remotely

In a perfect world, i'd go with the DX3 Pro given its features of bluetooth and remote control, as well as being a better DAC overall. But after reading about the recent changes to the DX3 Pro, and looking at eBay listings, it seems that the version I want (pre LDAC) may not be replaceable if I needed to send it in for warranty. There is also the problem of not knowing how the newer models perform (pre LDAC). Then there is the issue of it having a seemingly high failure rate compared to other brands, which combined with the fact that the older model doesn't seem to be produced anymore, and that I have to ship to China, makes it a risky purchase.

What is everyone's opinion on what I should purchase?

Last edited:

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your summary at the end is exactly how I feel.
The D10 has a pretty decent track record - sure one of mine has missing decimal dots on the display - but they just work.
I've not read much about the Atom amp, but I also haven't seen a lot of issues cropping up.

I was seriously considering the DX3Pro over the last few months, but I just don't feel easy about taking a risk at that price. I guess I'd accept dropping £65, not happy, but I'd be extremely irritated if it was £100 or more!

For what it's worth, not comparing to any other offering, but the D10 sounds pretty damn great!
Fulfilled by Amazon and getting Amazon's great returns policy would be the only way I'd go, unless I lived in China/HK etc.

OP
S

SoBu

I've decided that it might be worth the risk to buy the DX3 Pro because the aptX-LL/HD bluetooth and remote would be very convenient for playing all my phone audio through my speakers.

A few questions before I buy it:
  1. Would 30 days of power on time be enough to know if my unit has problems or not? I'd be buying from Amazon in case I get a bad unit. Hopefully there is still stock of the old one in 30d.
  2. How long do DAC/Amp combos like this typically last? At least 5-10 years I hope.
  3. Does anyone know if the version 1904 PCB (Pre V2/LDAC/1905) performs the sames as the original 1808 that was reviewed? I don't think it was tested, and people just assumed it performed the same. Kind of odd if that's the case given that people here prefer buying things that are proven.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
After reading a lot of reviews and threads here on ASR, I think I've decided between the Topping DX3 Pro or the D10+JDS Atom.

Topping D50s + JDS Atom, another combination to consider?

OP
S

SoBu

Topping D50s + JDS Atom, another combination to consider?
It didn't seem like the D50s + Atom was worth the extra money over the DX3 Pro. Total cost for the D50s Amp combo is ~450CAD, which is about ~150 more than DX3. But I'll have a look at the specs and performance of the D50s again and update this post.

Update: I'm not seeing any benefit of the D50s Atom combo over the DX3 other than maybe LDAC and a more powerful amp. Performance looks like it will be practically the same for my usage, I think (5-10 DB SINAD make a difference at 105 for example?). So I'd mostly be paying the 150CAD more for reliability.

Last edited:

escalibur

Khadas Tone Board? :)

Tks

Major Contributor
I've decided that it might be worth the risk to buy the DX3 Pro because the aptX-LL/HD bluetooth and remote would be very convenient for playing all my phone audio through my speakers.

A few questions before I buy it:
  1. Would 30 days of power on time be enough to know if my unit has problems or not? I'd be buying from Amazon in case I get a bad unit. Hopefully there is still stock of the old one in 30d.
  2. How long do DAC/Amp combos like this typically last? At least 5-10 years I hope.
  3. Does anyone know if the version 1904 PCB performs the sames as the original 1808 that was reviewed? I don't think it was tested, and people just assumed it performed the same. Kind of odd if that's the case given that people here prefer buying things that are proven.

I've had mine for three months, but as to what sets a unit for failure seems to be shoddy solder work as some internal images have shown (or no soldering of some parts oddly enough). I actually opened mine and saw everything was physically fine with it with respect to failures others have had due to this solder work.

No one knows how the new PCB version performs outside of what I last heard was opamps being changed as the first iteration was giving impecable output impedence of ~1 ohm. The new one someone was seemingly offered as a replacement but they told him the opamp would be increasing the output impedence to something like 15 ohms if I recall correctly. The only problem with that is, anything under 150ohm headphones and I would imagine the frequency response of your device is going to start changing.

OP
S

SoBu

Khadas Tone Board? :)
I've seen it before, and overall I prefer the D10.

I've had mine for three months, but as to what sets a unit for failure seems to be shoddy solder work as some internal images have shown (or no soldering of some parts oddly enough). I actually opened mine and saw everything was physically fine with it with respect to failures others have had due to this solder work.

No one knows how the new PCB version performs outside of what I last heard was opamps being changed as the first iteration was giving impecable output impedence of ~1 ohm. The new one someone was seemingly offered as a replacement but they told him the opamp would be increasing the output impedence to something like 15 ohms if I recall correctly. The only problem with that is, anything under 150ohm headphones and I would imagine the frequency response of your device is going to start changing.
Thanks for the information about what to look for when/if I buy it.
As for the PCB, the v1904 (pre v2/LDAC) is still ~1ohm output AFAIK. The new v2/LDAC PCB is v1905. Amir reviewed the 1808. AFAIK there is no evidence on how the 1904 performs compared to 1808. If I buy from the Amazon link i posted, I should be getting 1904 or older as it seems to be stored nearby my location (less than 8h delivery after purchase)

Edit: If nobody knows if the 1904 has the same performance of the 1808, maybe I will consider a more expensive DAC with bluetooth + Atom combo

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
I tend to overthink things sometimes, and realize there was no need for it. If Amazon is an option, give it a shot, and see if you like the product, also if it doesn't go well, I imagine Topping would take care of you, as many of these Chinese companies that try to fulfill the desires of a limited user-base usually do. Granted I have another DAC so even if the DX3 ever bit the dust, I can wait on repairs with another DAC on the sidelines.

Though if this is truly making you uneasy, I'd say keep working a bit more and save up that money for a D50S + Atom, that combo is simply just immaculate at that pricepoint (and you still get Bluetooth input which is awesome).

OP
S

SoBu

I tend to overthink things sometimes, and realize there was no need for it. If Amazon is an option, give it a shot, and see if you like the product, also if it doesn't go well, I imagine Topping would take care of you, as many of these Chinese companies that try to fulfill the desires of a limited user-base usually do. Granted I have another DAC so even if the DX3 ever bit the dust, I can wait on repairs with another DAC on the sidelines.

Though if this is truly making you uneasy, I'd say keep working a bit more and save up that money for a D50S + Atom, that combo is simply just immaculate at that pricepoint (and you still get Bluetooth input which is awesome).
It's not that I can't afford the extra 150CAD, I just I don't like spending more when it's not needed. But it's starting to look like I should consider a more expensive DAC with bluetooth + Atom. It's not that much more money if it lasts me 5-10 years. Edit: For reference, the desktop I built is 9yo and still running fine.

Is the D50S the best price/performance reliable DAC with bluetooth?

PS: is that Veela in your profile pic?

OP
S

SoBu

If you can demo an iFi xDSD where you are, give it a shot. Trying/demo'ing with your own headphones is always ideal.
https://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/xDSD_HiFiNewsReviewOutstaning.low-res.pdf
Unfortunately Amir hasn't tested that yet, and I don't trust my ears. But it looks like a nice do it all product that I'll keep an eye on.

After looking at all the other DAC options that have been reviewed on this site in the last 1-2y, and reading 70% of the D50s thread, I think I will buy the D50s and Atom. If I feel like I don't need the features it offers over the D10 in 30 days, then I'll return it and buy something else.

The DX3 Pro 19xx performance, reliability, and replaceability are too uncertain for me. I find it really surprising that people are still recommending and buying it when the newer PCBs haven't been tested and compared to the one Amir tested. And the fact that it's no longer being manufactured makes warranty replacements a gamble. So I'd rather spend more to avoid worrying about these issues. Edit: The D50s reliably is unknown since it's new, but still seems like a better choice than the DX3 Pro.

If anyone has any other suggestions or comments, let me know. I wont purchase the D50s & Atom for another 24-72h in case I change my mind.

OP
S

SoBu

I ended up ordering the D50s just now because there was only 1 in stock for 278CAD (210USD) on Amazon, and I didn't want to miss a good price. I'm still open to suggestions and comments though since I can cancel the order.

Anyone know cheaper alternative short cables like the ones JDS Labs sells here:
https://jdslabs.com/product/stack-rca-cables/
I'm not seeing anything under 1.5ft on Amazon.ca

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
It's not that I can't afford the extra 150CAD, I just I don't like spending more when it's not needed. But it's starting to look like I should consider a more expensive DAC with bluetooth + Atom. It's not that much more money if it lasts me 5-10 years. Edit: For reference, the desktop I built is 9yo and still running fine.

Is the D50S the best price/performance reliable DAC with bluetooth?

PS: is that Veela in your profile pic?

Yes, pretty much one of the best Amir’s ever measured.

And yes it’s her.

As for your latest post that asks about RCA cables, no advice there. Idk how Amazon.ca works or it’s offerings >_<

Also that’s a nice price you got on the D50S.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm using this Fisual cable to connect a Fiio K3 to an Atom at the moment...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WTISB2

I have just ordered a D50s from AliExpress. I will be able to use the same cable by turning it around and plugging the 3.5mm into the Atom.

However, I would prefer to use RCA, so I have ordered some right-angled RCA plugs, Mogami cable and silver solder to have a go at making my own very short interconnects.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That cable is still double the length of the JDS, so not really comparable.

I just spent £30 on bits and about 5 hours teaching myself to solder RCA plugs to cables without melting everything. I now have a 15cm long version of the Cambridge Audio Pacific cables I purchased in 1991...

Cambridge_Audio_Pacific.jpg

Veri

Master Contributor
I ended up ordering the D50s just now because there was only 1 in stock for 278CAD (210USD) on Amazon, and I didn't want to miss a good price. I'm still open to suggestions and comments though since I can cancel the order.

I'm not seeing anything under 1.5ft on Amazon.ca

I recommend the Ghent audio A01 which can be ordered in any length (custom via mail if needed). They come via China airmail though which takes a little while (~7days or so), but they use quality materials at good price.

OP
S

SoBu

I recommend the Ghent audio A01 which can be ordered in any length (custom via mail if needed). They come via China airmail though which takes a little while (~7days or so), but they use quality materials at good price.
Looks like it costs about the same as the JDS cable, excluding shipping. So i'm happy with my purchase since I bought it with the Atom. Otherwise the Ghent audio would be a cheaper alternative.

josiah

I am going to go with Fiio K5 Pro. I love mine. Zeo recently did a review on it. He couldn't tell a difference between the Atom with a really expensive DAC and a Fiio K5 Pro.

I had the DX3 Pro, and mine failed on me. I can not tell the difference, I think both of them are better than what human hearing can detect DAC wise.

Top Bottom