• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch&Dutch …

Martijn Mensink

Industry Insider
I tried this and gave up. setting aside the obvious extra cabling issues, which can be more of an eyesore than you may expect, The latest app only works with pairs so you won't be able to configure 1 speaker. You can roll back to older firmware, and you don't lose any features so not a huge loss

Agreed. We're working on making it possible to put more than two speakers in a "room".

Enabling phase linearity adds about 32ms latency. Combined with the distance to MLP, my AVR didn't cope well with the video delay. Audyssey only allows a 20ms delta in time alignment. So, wth my 8C's at 16ft the time of flight correction was nearly 50ms and the rest of the speakers had to be set at 30ms ToF correction even if they were only 6ft away with almost no discernable latency (neumann 120). Maybe Dirac is better in this regard?

The linear-phase mode does indeed add about 32 ms of latency. Unfortunately, there's nothing we or anybody else could do about that, except perhaps for reducing the crossover filter order from 4th order to a lower order. This would however hurt the overall performance. If you need less latency, please turn off linear-phase mode. The audible difference is actually quite subtle.

Something you should take into account though, is that if the other speakers in the system have a different phase-response, you won't be able to integrate all speakers perfectly in the sweetspot.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what feature in Dirac you're referring to.

No sleep mode and power on takes about 90 seconds. Doesn't bother me but some may not like it

There is a sleep mode. You can enable it by clicking and holding the "volume circle". Tap it to enable an disable mute, hold for 2 seconds to enable sleep mode.

1688559571649.png

Finally, and this is a "me problem", having mismatched surrounds/heights distracts me. Even with something as neutral as Neumann, I felt like something sounds off when listening to upmixed content.

my main use case is Auro3D, which IMO emphasizes speaker tonality mismatches because it's playing a modified L/R channel simultaneously with the front LCR (as opposed to discrete content which is usually not a direct copy of front L/R content). Or, maybe it's just sighted bias

Ideally, all speakers have the same frequency response, phase-response and directivity. In practice that usually means you want the same speakers throughout. However, if a manufacturer could make different models have very close frequency reponse, phase response and directivity, you could still get great results with different speaker models.

We are in fact working on several new models right now. The first one to be released is a bigger one. Much bigger! After that we'll release one or two smaller speakers. All speakers will have a linear-phase mode. Linear-phase can sound a tad better than non-linear phase, but an equally important reason is that it's simply easier to integrate multiple different speakers in a multiple-speaker setup if they have more or less the same phase response.

All that said, it sounded amazing and is my favorite stereo speaker hands down. Cost no object I would buy an all 8C setup, but cost is definitely an object. FWIW I've tried just about well regarded speaker on this site, and my subjective opinion is basically in line with Erin's Top 5 list (except Kef Reference Meta, never tried because I'd rather get 8351B for that $)

hopefully someday a smaller version and/or horizontal center will be introduced. With my limited time I'm in the process of switching to Genelec Ones for multichannel, selling a pair of 8Cs (i bought 2 pairs) and moving the other pair to my home office so I can be ready when uBacch is finally released.

I'm glad that despite your mostly valid criticisms, you still love your 8c's!

BACCH is coming...

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm afraid I'm not sure what feature in Dirac you're referring to.

Attached an example from my HTP1. I can set front L/R to 0ms delay, and subwoofer to 100ms. With Denon/Audyssey, if front L/R were set to 0ms the max I could set subwoofer would be 20ms. Or front L/R 10ms, sub at 30ms, etc. Obviously this has nothing to do w/ D&D directly, just illustrating the specific challenge.

There is a sleep mode. You can enable it by clicking and holding the "volume circle". Tap it to enable an disable mute, hold for 2 seconds to enable sleep mode.

Good info, thank you! I wasn't aware because I can't really use Ascend w/ L/C/R layout; still using LANspeaker.

Ideally, all speakers have the same frequency response, phase-response and directivity. In practice that usually means you want the same speakers throughout. However, if a manufacturer could make different models have very close frequency reponse, phase response and directivity, you could still get great results with different speaker models.

Normally this is where I'd ask what vendor(s) and/or model(s), if any, you'd recommend for surround/height integration with 8C's. But, now that you're expanding the lineup, I certainly understand any hesitancy :)

We are in fact working on several new models right now. The first one to be released is a bigger one. Much bigger! After that we'll release one or two smaller speakers. All speakers will have a linear-phase mode.

Willing/able to give any rough timelines? Weeks, months, years? I'm more intersted in the smaller models, unless a heretofore unknown rich relative passes away soon.

I'm glad that despite your mostly valid criticisms, you still love your 8c's!

absolutely, and I do appreciate your presence and responses here!

Attachments

• image_2023-07-05_171636660.png
    image_2023-07-05_171636660.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
New Dutch&Dutch 8C delivery this week, including a new demonstration pair, always nice to have new speakers, there will be an overlong and tedious ‘unboxing’ thread!

Keith

kma100

Forum Donor
Is this the same as the original one? So "new" as in "new in the shop" not "new model"?

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is this the same as the original one? So "new" as in "new in the shop" not "new model"?
Just new units of the current one, but one day…
Keith

Top Bottom