• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dune 2 - Score discussion with Zimmer, your reactions to film

EERecordist

In Dolby-sponsored video, scoring composer Hans Zimmer discusses instrumentation, themes, tone, and his teen interest in the novel. Looking forward to seeing it this week in ATMOS.

MacCali

Major Contributor
In Dolby-sponsored video, scoring composer Hans Zimmer discusses instrumentation, themes, tone, and his teen interest in the novel. Looking forward to seeing it this week in ATMOS.

I watched it in IMAX, and I also watched Shane Lee’s review of which presentation was better. As he stated and I can consider his point of view legitimate, one he is a HT enthusiast and he has seen both. Only thing to add is his IMAX experience was not in 70MM

I watched it in 70 MM, and it was phenomenal. He shows comparison with photos of the movies in theater for picture quality.

When it comes to sound, and even this could be directly related to the theater he was in, he said there were hardly any height effects during the movie.

I am certain for the physical media release it maybe different but I do get the point, personally I would stick to 70 MM IMAX. The bass was earth shattering and it’s crazy to think how they manage that in such a large auditorium.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the movie overall was pretty great, the soundtrack supported the film quite well, but my god was it loud in the theater. Saw it in a standard theater, no IMAX or anything.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I thought the movie overall was pretty great, the soundtrack supported the film quite well, but my god was it loud in the theater. Saw it in a standard theater, no IMAX or anything.
Hands down, I quite often listen to the dune soundtrack. It’s quite relaxing.

Also the first dune on 4K UHD is my first experience with HT physical media using TrueHD decoding. It greatly enhanced the movie immersion.

Honestly I can’t wait to watch it at home

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just watched it tonight in IMAX. Sound was too loud. Maybe 4-5 db I'd say. Bass was pretty astounding. And yes zero height info I noticed. None. There were several scenes that would have benefited from height. It was so loud I think most audio stayed glued near the screen as they had the dialogue pretty jacked up.

I thought the movie was considerably better than the first part. I also thought some keener editing could have reduced time by 20-25 minutes and been better for it without losing anything. I thought almost all of the actors, actresses did their parts anywhere from well to excellent. You can tell some real soul searching was done in arranging the story board to make sense, not leave things out, and in very subtle ways enhance important personal reactions to events. Something usually lost in movies vs books. I thought the sound score lacked subtlety, and was too much of jack hammer even when it didn't need to be. Certainly a signature sound on everything.

I'd say if you are fan of the book go see it. It is good. Better than Oppenheimer according to my opinion. I thought O was over-rated and the plot a mangling of what it should have been. Check that...a horrible mangling.

cyclo

I watched it on IMAX 70mm (Colossus Theater in Vaughn Ontario Canada) and I can discern the surround tracks including height channels. However as others have pointed, the volume was at near concert levels so the surround channels including height tend to be drowned out. Even thought the sound track and effects are loud, the deep bass is not as good nor felt as deep as what I have on my home setup which has two buttkickers at bottom of my chair and an SVS PB3000 on the corner of the room. I am eagerly waiting for the 4K Blu-ray release of this film so I can watch/listen to it on my setup.

04.jpg
01.jpg

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
I ended up giving this other theater a shot and watched it again rather than a Dolby cinema.

I’ve never seen or heard of it, but it’s a THX ultimate cinema. I will say definitely no where near the experience of IMAX in bass and SPL. But it does have atmos channels and this theater actually had balcony seating. So I started at the bottom/floor seats and then went to the top. I preferred the sound at the top much better, it was far cleaner. Overall I would say it’s more of an audiophile experience. Also the balcony area had a trapezoid configuration, not sure if the walls closing in towards the rear reinforced the bass. Whatever it maybe.

The video portion is actually a mix of both Dolby and IMAX it’s longer in both directions rather than just one(vertical or horizontal). It was a duel laser projection, so I’m not sure what that entails but personally I preferred the video over IMAX. But this could simply be just bias.

Top Bottom