• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dt770 vs Shure SRH840A vs MDR-7506

MrNice13

Yo bro's

I'm seeking of a affordable new pair of headphones. I always want the 7506 but a lot of reviews said that they're very sibillant in the highs. Good for hip hop and soul they said. But they're probably the most frequency accurate even more after some eq they have a score of 108 with oratory1990 after EQ.

The shure are very precise too in the frequencies but I don't have enough info on them but they have a detachable cable and I like that.

The Dt770... What to say.... Some say they are V shaped like hell with exaggerated sub bass but they are very comfy with the velour I'm specially interested by the 80ohms.

I love electronic, hip hop, jazz, rock, funk all kind of music but I always seek for precise frequencies curve so I can tweak to my will if something is wrong or I don't like. I like a little bass overphasis.

So I need your opinions guys.

Greets

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is no 'DT770' there are many different DT770 and they differ in response.

DT770 also have elevated treble and the reason why you can find them as monitors in studios, just like the 7506.

Some like the DT770, others hate it. To me they (I tried them 3 times) have a 'one-note bass' and why I never kept them.

With EQ you can make most headphones sound good.

You would have to realize that the 'score' is based on frequencies where the fixtures are valid. Sibilance and sharpness as well as subbass are variables that can make or break the sound, are not correctly embedded in generated EQ (and cannot be either) but are quite determining in sound quality, not just tonality according to a specific test fixture + target. The latter is indicative at best.

Listening to headphones (a bit longer than briefly in a store) is the only way to find out for sure if a headphone 'suits' your needs (physically and sound-wise)
Tonal accuracy is easily changed.

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

To me they (I tried them 3 times) have a 'one-note bass' and why I never kept them.
one bass note ? you mean they lack bass in the lows region?

OP
MrNice13

MrNice13

Sibilance and sharpness as well as subbass are variables that can make or break the sound, are not correctly embedded in generated EQ
Im not using generated EQ I try to follow a curve that I love from references and tweak the bass etc

markanini

Major Contributor
DT770-80 holds up well wrt tuning and build. I'd suggest SRH440 over SRH840, but either Shure will be a cheaper build for a more neutral tuning.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
one bass note ? you mean they lack bass in the lows region?
I mean that to me a bass-tone ladder that should produce clearly different notes with the same loudness is reproduced by always the same note but differing mostly in loudness.
More resonant than 'real'. This may be caused by the non-linear response in the bass.
It annoyed be once I noticed it.

sh0t

the DT770s are purely unlistenable to, atleast for me.
All variants are pretty simmilar in sound profile, there s little difference.

I use headphones on lots of equipment, i fix HI-FI audio cassette decks daily, so eq ing isn't possible because i use lots of sources on wich eq isn t possible or is unconvinient.
Theese DT770s have a HUGE dip at ~4khz (more than 10dB). I ve returned them after the first 3 hours of use, i tried eqing and it made them more listenable but as i've said, it's not a thing i can always do.

The SONY MDR7506 are a much better option, more linear, more neutral sounding, and they will be my "permanent" closedbacks for now.

Consider the AKG K371/361 aswell.

Top Bottom