• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Downpitching Dac!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Sven Boenicke, CEO and owner of BOENICKE audio, presented his personal reference system with a world premiere of his latest 432 Hz downpitching DAC at Wide Screen Audio, Belgium.’
Downpitching dac?
Keith

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Looks like a similar idea as the Schiit gadget that still does not seem to exist 6 years after it was announced.

It is like a pitch control set at -1.8%

You can hear the effect here:

or here:

or here:

can also use this:

or this:

even MS has something:

You can even use Audacity:

so no need to buy a special DAC for that.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is there anything in it, or just more BS?
Keith

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith
432hz music is well known to increase well-being, is often said to sound better, be more harmonic, and have transcendental powers.
You’ll be the judge of that :facepalm:

Anyway, if the artist wanted to use 432Hz, nothing was stopping them..

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For the 0.000001% who still resent 440Hz.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith

Experts contacted by Reuters agreed that the meme presents claims that lack evidence as well as historical inaccuracies.

Susan Rogers, Professor of Music Production and Engineering at Berklee College of Music ( here ) told Reuters that “there is no empirical research suggesting that the universe has a preferred acoustic frequency.”

Coincidentally, Ian Cross, professor and director of the Centre for Music and Sciences at the University of Cambridge ( here ) told Reuters that the claims have “no empirical basis.”

Prince Charles Alexander, also a Professor of Music Production and Engineering at Berklee College of Music ( here ), said that “most listeners’ sensibilities are not fine tuned enough to discern the difference [between A=432Hz and A=440Hz].”

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/factcheck-musical-pitches-idUSL1N2P915O/

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pffft most listeners. My wife can hear it from the kitchen.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We're just jealous of the snake oil vendors who suck the money out of so many fat wallets.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Me too!
Personally I am glad ASR is moving away from this measurement stuff into a simpler more organic forum where it’s ok just to plonk things down and not worry about sound quality, I might even get a SET amp and one of those large euphonium shaped single driver speakers with a whizzer cone.
Keith

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Keith
I can't hear the difference, at least without a reference. If I listened to the 440Hz original on Monday and 432Hz on Tuesday, I'd never notice.

Someone with Perfect Pitch MIGHT hear the difference or they might not. "Perfect pitch" (AKA absolute pitch) simply means they can identify the note and if you played a 441Hz tone they would identify it as "A". If there is another note or instrument playing 440Hz, you might notice that "something is out-of-tune". With 432 and 404Hz at the same time it would definitely sound "off".

It's just a tuning standard. The "modern Western standard" is A=440Hz and it means the whole orchestra or band can play in-tune with each other. Singers can sing any pitch so they don't care. You can easily tune a guitar differently. A piano is a lot more difficult, and some instruments can't be tuned to 432Hz.

...The "high fidelity" ideal is for the recording to play back as-intended. (But that doesn't mean we have to do that!)

P.S.
A few days ago, my nephew was tuning his guitar (without a tuner or pitch reference). I asked him, "How good is your pitch?". He said, "Not good". But the strings on a guitar are normally tuned relative to each other by fretting to play the same note as an open string. So without any other instruments the guitar was in-tune with itself (and probably out-of-tune with everything else in the world) and it sounded fine! ...I was surprised he didn't have a tuner app on his phone.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wars have started over fewer Hz.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Digital audio has been slowed down and sped up forever. 44,055.9kHz to 44,100kHz to 44,144kHz, etc, all not using SRC.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't hear the difference, at least without a reference. If I listened to the 440Hz original on Monday and 432Hz on Tuesday, I'd never notice.

Someone with Perfect Pitch MIGHT hear the difference or they might not. "Perfect pitch" (AKA absolute pitch) simply means they can identify the note and if you played a 441Hz tone they would identify it as "A". If there is another note or instrument playing 440Hz, you might notice that "something is out-of-tune". With 432 and 404Hz at the same time it would definitely sound "off".

I was able to ABX the Clip+'s "pitch problem" back in the day. Would never have actually noticed it in actual listening though.

I should check out the 440/432 thing myself, but have just never bothered because that always seemed more artistic than technical and I have negative artistic ability with music.

Top Bottom