• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Don't let these guys unpack your speakers....

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Do you think they are available for lifting speakers onto the Klippel?

It's the obvious answer to Amir's large speaker testing problem: tip the Klippel sideways first. :)

*and that idea is less dim-witted than some of the comments here—nothing of value was posted as people respond to the 30-year-old speaker as if seeing it for the first time. :p

Last edited:

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

17903-max_b_w_nautilus_lab_.jpg

JSmith
Not that bad FR, as to determined otherwise.
As is was this measured would be fine.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

JSmith

Thanks for posting this one, the linked report translates ok as well. Explains Dickie's concept/execution for those interested. And dispersion doesn't look bad there, set them up a bit off-axis to avoid that brightness in a sparsely-furnished room, for example.

Last edited:

audiofooled

What could have been an excellent disaster video is now nothing more than clickbait :facepalm:

… what a waste of opportunity, what a waste of some perfectly horrible B&W speakers …

This would have been the right way to do it, especially the throw it away part :rolleyes:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the least of this speaker's problems...the off-axis behavior must be wonderful with all the non-waveguided drivers located at visually appealing but acoustically dumb distances from each other.
Thanks to its 4-way design with relatively small drivers it's horizontal radiation is quite smooth without the need of waveguide as also confirmed by the only measurement:

d2FjPTcwNXgxLjMzNA==_src_17901-max_b_w_nautilus_lab_.jpg

It was designed from Lawrence Dickie which after it made his own loudspeaker company with similar designs which also measure well, for example
414vivid.promo_.jpg

414VG3fig4.jpg

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/vivid-audio-giya-g3-loudspeaker-measurements

Till the late 90s even entry series B&W models measured well, for example:

DM603fig5.jpg

Source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/bw-dm603-s3-loudspeaker-measurements

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Too expensive and too weird.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats some nice 20hz !! nice!!
Just 2 filters in the HF and you done, stunning loudspeaker
Since it has an active crossover designed to be used with 4 external amps per channel someone could even just attenuate the tweeter amp setting or input signal for a couple of dBs. :)

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm surprised you old farts (!!!) are so aghast at the appearance

Nautilus is an institution... i rememeber as a kid visiting what is probably Australia's premiere high end shop, Len Wallis, and seeing this sort of thing... along with the accompanyng Marantz reference gear... this is the stuff of dreams to a young man barely eeking out gasoline to get to university.

This speaker is the equivlanet of a Lamborghini Countach or something iconic like that... because it is icnonic.

Is it $100k iconic? well most of you could get buy on a fraction with something from revel or genelec but this kind of thing was always a statement piece for the guys who have a mansion the olympic swimming pool, tennis and basketball courts and the aircon carpetting garage. They're ot there.

Also classic upper treble tilt for the old guys who can afford this kind of thing.

Talisman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't want to comment on price or audio quality. But jeez, iconic or not, they're really awful. In that color then they seem covered in painted fiberglass like track bikes. Awful

Jack Harrison

I had a pair of B&W DM7 MkIIs for a really long time, mostly because whenever I went to a dealer to listen to the latest thing I fancied instead they were a (often big) disappointment in comparison. They were the first B&W speakers to stick the tweeter outside of the main box and maybe the first step for B&W in embracing wider design values, they were designed by Kenneth Grange, a legendary British designer. They still sounded fantastic when I sold them because we were downsizing (ha, ha, ha, says the person sharing the house with me). So, for me, though unaffordable, the Nautiluses still work as a design statement as well as really excellent speaker. I think B&W would argue that function is superceding form in their design as it’s the horn loading that is if not dictating at least inspiring their shape.

tw 2022

JSmith
that fr graph is less impressive than my emotiva b1 mods measure , of course they cost $300 (plus Dennis Murphy's time)... i'll call my experience a "win"..
EmotivaB1 Mod.png

Top Bottom