• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does the media source matter?

D

Deleted member 20875

When connecting to the same unit as an input - which is of these is preferable and why?
  • External portable HDD
  • External portable SSD
  • USB stick
  • NAS via WiFi
  • NAS via Cable (any cable?)
  • DLNA streaming
Can the quality of the sound differ?

Thanks.

BillG

Major Contributor
It can make a difference if, and only if, one or more of the supporting subsystems/circuits is subpar.

My preferred method is WiFi at the moment. However, we've got very fast and reliable service at my home. I do use hardlines as well, but more for the simple convenience of plug-and-play, not sound quality as I've noticed no difference there.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
When connecting to the same unit as an input - which is of these is preferable and why?
  • External portable HDD
  • External portable SSD
  • USB stick
  • NAS via WiFi
  • DLNA streaming

Thanks.

Assuming basic competence in your components and cables, no hierarchy of quality there. All should give the same result.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the bad old days I experienced ridiculously slow iTunes performance with my music files on a NAS (wired or wireless) which negatively impacted my overall experience but not the sound quality specifically.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
  • External portable HDD
  • External portable SSD
  • USB stick
  • NAS via WiFi
  • DLNA streaming

Thanks.
DLNA streaming sticks out as different from the others in that it is a protocol with defined parameters while the others are hardware/communications devices. One can (and does) run DLNA over some of them but it is not required.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
  • External portable HDD
  • External portable SSD
  • USB stick
  • NAS via WiFi
  • DLNA streaming

Thanks.
At the level of media source you need to differentiate between SQ and functionality.

Basically if sources works properly (functionality) and the actual recorded format is the same then there won't be a SQ difference.

Functionality and SQ are often conflated on other sites and this leads to the perpetuation of myths. An example of this might be usb vs spdif audio. Because there are instances where usb audio doesn't work properly (and, in those instances, spdif does) this has lead to the misplaced belief that spdif can somehow improve SQ. This is the conflation of functionality and SQ.

To summarise -if it works, it works. And once it works - enjoy!

OP
D

Deleted member 20875

At the level of media source you need to differentiate between SQ and functionality.

Basically if sources works properly (functionality) and the actual recorded format is the same then there won't be a SQ difference.

Functionality and SQ are often conflated on other sites and this leads to the perpetuation of myths. An example of this might be usb vs spdif audio. Because there are instances where usb audio doesn't work properly (and, in those instances, spdif does) this has lead to the misplaced belief that spdif can somehow improve SQ. This is the conflation of functionality and SQ.

To summarise -if it works, it works. And once it works - enjoy!

Well, good to hear (and to know), thanks.

Top Bottom