• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does anyone produce a USB to USB DSP that I can put in between a streamer and DAC?

shion_ca

Does anyone produce a USB to USB DSP that I can put in between a streamer and DAC?

I guess the issue is it would have to understand all the file formats.

I was sort of thinking I would like to play with a little emphasis in the midrange.

I was also wondering, can you tell these things to add even order harmonic distortion and vary the amount?

benanders

I was sort of thinking I would like to play with a little emphasis in the midrange.

I was also wondering, can you tell these things to add even order harmonic distortion and vary the amount?

What streamer, what DAC, what level of hands-on software are you looking to use? Are you flexible on any of those three choices?

I recall HiFiBerry makes an RPi hat for DSP with an in-house app (or you can use a different software option in conjunction with their kit that’s more of a learning curve).
Seems expensive for what it is, especially since the in-house app apparently doesn’t permit discrete channel control (L-R will be P’ed the same).

Eurasian

Forum Donor
I bet that you could use a laptop for this purpose. I use Equalizer APO and peace on a windows laptop and it works just fine as a streamer. I think APO can process 7.2 channels (maybe more) if you need that.

OP
S

shion_ca

I see enough of my laptop all day ;). Was hoping for a box I leave plugged in.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

There is the digital version of the minidsp flex. Not USB to USB, but you can put USB in and SPDIF or Toslink out.

dwkdnvr

What streamer, what DAC, what level of hands-on software are you looking to use? Are you flexible on any of those three choices?

I recall HiFiBerry makes an RPi hat for DSP with an in-house app (or you can use a different software option in conjunction with their kit that’s more of a learning curve).
Seems expensive for what it is, especially since the in-house app apparently doesn’t permit discrete channel control (L-R will be P’ed the same).
You don't even need separate hardware for the Pi4 - it allows using "USB gadget mode" to allow operating as a USB audio target. You can then use CamillaDSP to apply arbitrary EQ/digital xover etc before passing it on to an output soundcard. CamillaDSP even includes some rather slick dynamic clock management feedback to lock the 2 device streams together.

There are a couple threads here and on DIYAudio on doing this.

JSmith

Master Contributor
USB in optical/coax out;
edit: looks like @antcollinet beat me to it there. :)

JSmith

wgh52

@shion_ca
I‘d like to reinforce the miniDSP Flex recommendation! Your DAC has optical and koax SPDIF Inputs which it will autoselect when connected. You will Need the PC to program the DSP BUT when done it is stand alone.

Greetings,
Winfried

OP
S

shion_ca

There is the digital version of the minidsp flex. Not USB to USB, but you can put USB in and SPDIF or Toslink out.
Does it preserve dad and Mqa formats? Or does it like out PCM. I sort of wanted to use the clock on my smsl… if you do toslink it’s the mini dps that clicks right?

OP
S

shion_ca

@shion_ca
I‘d like to reinforce the miniDSP Flex recommendation! Your DAC has optical and koax SPDIF Inputs which it will autoselect when connected. You will Need the PC to program the DSP BUT when done it is stand alone.

Greetings,
Winfried
Yeah I love the idea, just interested if I lose my asynchronous input to the dac

Nutul

Does it preserve dad and Mqa formats? Or does it like out PCM. I sort of wanted to use the clock on my smsl… if you do toslink it’s the mini dps that clicks right?
Applying any sort of DSP will break (FWIW...) the MQA chain.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No DSP will preserve DSD/MQA. You have to convert to PCM to do DSP. But in any case, there is no benefit to MQA.

Yes, the Mini DSP will be the clock master, but there is no benefit to using the SMSL clock over the mini dsp. Or you can get the analoge version of the MiniDSP and sell the SMSL, then you retain the async input to the DAC (Mini DSP) - for what it is worth.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The A6 is implementing PEQ its in Alpha release now.

Post in thread 'Eversolo DMP-A6 Streamer Review' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...olo-dmp-a6-streamer-review.44198/post-1819506

It also reviewed very good. Don't really see the reason for an external dac.

OP
S

shion_ca

Well because I believe in Voodoo. I try not to bring it up so as to not side track the questions. So in my voodoo world, it adds a balanced DAC implementation (I run into a Pass X1 pre that does better with balanced) that is isolated via asynchronous USB and uses the SMSL's clock and its own power supply. I am basically relying on the SMSL's DAC implementation over the Eversolo's. I am also not putting my circuitry for the ever solo streaming functions in the same box as I have my DAC.

OP
S

shion_ca

May I ask what this adds to your Eversolo?
Errr if the above answer offends your sense of voodoo then pretend I said that the distance between the layout in my system means I need to daisy chain for my interconnects to reach :)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Run your Eversolo USB out to USB in on an Intel Nuc running Roon ROCK. Do the DSP in Roon then out USB to your Dac in USB. You can run it headless and configure through a browser. Use REW to take your measurements then put them in Roon. Depending on which Streaming service you use you could also ditch the Eversolo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom