• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Anyone in the US have any of the newer Luxman Integrateds, and if so...

OP
J

Jake Cushing

They've gone backwards there, the previous models had those really nice scalloped metal grills on top. Now its a double array of plastic fins.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

This was the exact receiver I grew up with in the family home in the late 70s/early 80s.

I just took it for granted that stereo amps were all solid metal and stylish...
images (86).jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This was the exact receiver I grew up with in the family home in the late 70s/early 80s.

I just took it for granted that stereo amps were all solid metal and stylish... View attachment 233319

OTOH that isn't a particular guarantee of good design/build/execution/included functionality....but from an aesthetic viewpoint alone does interest some (I don't particularly care, it still looks funky in a general sense).

OP
J

Jake Cushing

@Chrispy yes we are of course speaking purely of external build aesthetics. Sonically the Luxman will be leagues ahead of anything from the full-metal era of kit.

But why they would skimp on those external elements and go plastic is beyond me. Not worth the loss of purist dollar I believe.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Chrispy yes we are of course speaking purely of external build aesthetics. Sonically the Luxman will be leagues ahead of anything from the full-metal era of kit.

But why they would skimp on those external elements and go plastic is beyond me. Not worth the loss of purist dollar I believe.
What would put the Luxman sonically above other gear particularly? Seems a cheat to use plastic, tho, unless there's perhaps some argument for more accurate machining/production possible? Then would worry how the plastic's finish would age or react to cleaning, etc. Seems to violate those usually going for the aesthetic gear like this, tho.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I meant gear like the Rotel from the 70s.

Lux will have much lower distortion and noise.
Sonic refers to audible, so this particularly expensive integrated is so different from even those?

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Hair splitting and yes, there would be an audible difference at higher volumes. Diminishing returns overall of course.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I'll do it if you pay the return air-fare from here.

Your call.
How about this, you buy me an APx555B and then you can send the amp to me for testing? :cool:

I know you'd love to have the new amp tested and I reckon all members here would love to see the results too... just a shame we're stuck down the arse end of the world.

It would be great if someone in the US planning on buying one had it sent in for testing... or even Luxman themselves. It might be worth sending off an email to Luxman and see of they have any interest in doing do.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hair splitting and yes, there would be an audible difference at higher volumes. Diminishing returns overall of course.
Of same basic output capabilities from the amp? Or higher output capabilities? Or just differences in thd/noise measurements?

D

Deleted member 51584

Just looking this thread because I just picked up one of these Luxman's - literally. I got a 25% discount (basically at dealer cost, unboxed but never plugged in) because it was too heavy for the dealer to shift around for demo's, so the deal was I go round and box it up and get it in the car on my own. Boxing into the double boxes was OK, but I crunched the third shipping box. It was a bit cold and my dry hands on the slippery cardboard, I almost dropped it getting to the car. The 35kg was not the problem, it's the sheer size of the box.

So I don't think one of these, or any of the many popular similar products, are ever going to get to Chez Amir, let alone up his staircase. For reasons I will never understand, these units need a few miles on the clock and to warm up before use to sound at their best, but I have no idea if that would affect how they measure.

FWIW, I bought it to create an all-analog signal path for vinyl and it does the job brilliantly. It has a mass of features that excite me (but probably not Amir), like being able to bypass the tone controls or the entire pre-amp including the volume control, a superb phono pre-amp, and of course a full range of tone controls and loudness button. Of course these functions are very popular in Japan, rather out of fashion elsewhere, but the bypass function pleases everyone. The Japanese were often way ahead, I remember bobbing along in a 1960s Datsun that had electric windows and air conditioning as standard, even in the 1990s the VW Golf still had winder handles on some models and you could only dream of having aircon.

It has a high quality full-metal finish that the Japanese manage to do very cost-effectively. The amp and pre-amp sections are entirely separate with steel plate walls dividing them, also walls separating the power supply and the amplifier panels. Very short signal paths, all very tidy. I suppose the main issue with these integrated A/B amps is if they are powerful enough for speakers that have low impedance. I spoke to a few owners of other similar products and they failed in that regard.

Having used the same Class D amp for 7 years and others for 6 years before that, I was concerned for any hum. This thing is dead quiet.

Top Bottom