• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Anyone in the US have any of the newer Luxman Integrateds, and if so...

Jake Cushing

... I'll pay shipping to Amir and back, for review.

Edit: changed thread title to any recent Luxman Integrateds.

Also I will pay for a local repair man to check the unit upon return for any obvious damage. Any fixes however I wouldn't cover.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDK

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nice offer, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would be shipping a USD$9000 Lux amplifier back and forth with all the attendant risks of loss or damage. I know I certainly wouldn't. Big heavy amplifiers are very easy to damage in transit.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Nice offer, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would be shipping a USD$9000 Lux amplifier back and forth with all the attendant risks of loss or damage. I know I certainly wouldn't. Big heavy amplifiers are very easy to damage in transit.
Within the US?

The amp would have been shipped in all the way from Japan to begin with. And then to the dealer.

How does anything get reviewed here then? Amir has done more expensive kit than this.

Reactions: GDK

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Within the US?

The amp would have been shipped in all the way from Japan to begin with. And then to the dealer.

How does anything get reviewed here then? Amir has done more expensive kit than this.

Products like the Lux are airfreighted from Japan in small numbers. It's not like they ship a 20/40ft can full of 507xs to the US via sea. They don't sell enough for that.

You can't compare sensitive freight in small numbers via air, to ground shipping/freight where the care factor is essentially close to, or below zero.

My point is a buyer of a USD$9000 Lux is likely a perfectionist and isn't going to tolerate risk or damage, even to the outside carton. But I could be wrong, there may be someone who is prepared to take a pointless risk.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Products like the Lux are airfreighted from Japan in small numbers. It's not like they ship a 20/40ft can full of 507xs to the US via sea. They don't sell enough for that.
Yah. Whereupon it is then shipped by ground to the hifi retailers.

You've also ignored the point about everything else Amir has reviewed.

What a pointlessly unproductive thread derailment

Last edited:
Hi Jake. Are you familiar with vibration, thermal cycling and thermal shock effects on the reliability of electronics? I'm interested in your thoughts on how additional vibration or thermal cycles do not impact reliability.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Hi FishBurritoGuy,

Are you familiar with the back catalogue of Amir's reviews? I am interested in your thoughts on how he has acquired these items, including a Luxman tube amp three months ago, and a $20,000 dac more recently.

I am familiar with Amir's reviews as is everyone here. I've not seen a summarized table of the shipping information and long term reliability of reviewed units and look forward to your feedback on my original question.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

I am familiar with Amir's reviews as is everyone here. I've not seen a summarized table of the shipping information and long term reliability of reviewed units and look forward to your feedback on my original question.
Bah ha ha ha!

You've "not seen a summarized table", yet you demand a response to a completely unsolicited query. One which is so palpably redundant (who said there is no additional risk? Do modern hi fi components not account for extreme temperature variance within the users homes over time?)

I look forward to you accepting you have contributed 'sufficiently' to this thread.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Weren't you buying a Lux, I seem to remember a thread where you ordered one?

Yeah, here, your post:
I've bit the bullet and plonked down a deposit for the 507z. Dealer offered me an AUD$1500 discount so the price came to the same as the previous 507. Should be here in Sept/Oct.

You can always have it dropped shipped to Amir directly for review.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Weren't you buying a Lux, I seem to remember a thread where you ordered one?

Yeah, here, your post:
I've bit the bullet and plonked down a deposit for the 507z. Dealer offered me an AUD$1500 discount so the price came to the same as the previous 507. Should be here in Sept/Oct.

You can always have it dropped shipped to Amir directly for review.
I'm in Australia, dude. Why do you think I specified 'someone in the US'?

I'll do it if you pay the return air-fare from here.

Your call.

Last edited:
I'd consider paying for your unit to be shipped to Amir roundtrip. I'll select the lowest shipping bidder from AU, will not provide insurance and if anything goes wrong it's your issue. Want to proceed?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm in Australia, dude. Why do you think I specified 'someone in the US'?

Right. That's why many of us use the "location" function to show which country we live in. You can update your profile to show other members- not a bad idea wouldn't you say?

So, have you recieved your Lux? What are your impressions so far? I hope you're happy with it.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Right. That's why many of us use the "location" function to show which country we live in. You can update your profile to show other members- not a bad idea wouldn't you say?
The quote you dug up from me said "Dealer offered me an AUD$1500 discount"

Was that not a sufficient clue?

Anyhow I'm glad we appear to be moving on from negativity. I haven't set it up yet, thanks. It's only just arrived.

Edit: One thing I can say - the small rotary dials for bass, treble etc at the front... are plastic. You would not tell from looking at them, but what the??
At least the large knobs dials for input and volume are metal. As is the solid fat face-plate.

But the grills on top - now plastic. An AUD $10k amplifier selling itself on build quality and they do this?

Last edited:
OP
J

Jake Cushing

I'd consider paying for your unit to be shipped to Amir roundtrip. I'll select the lowest shipping bidder from AU, will not provide insurance and if anything goes wrong it's your issue. Want to proceed?
Why the lowest shipping bidder? That would be ground-freight from Australia which will take months each way.

I'll proceed if you agree to air-freight, which is the only sensible solution when it's coming all the way from Australia. Don't worry, there will still be a ground-freight component to get it to Amir, to test your concerns about damage.

I am fine with no insurance.

I can get a quote from Pack and Send locally, who will also provide some extra packaging for this extra-long trip.

Interested?

OP
J

Jake Cushing

Predictably, the peanut gallery all disappear when it's about their own pockets.

Happy to accuse me of bad faith (would it have been so hard to simply ask where I was located?) and making thoroughly redundant points (there's risk involved? Do tell! )

It was always a long shot but an offer made in good faith. Long term forum members with lotsa knowledgeable posts @restorer-john (but who don't appear to be forum donors) don't have 'benefit of clergy' to come along and throw bad faith accusations, especially when the evidence was so blatant they were wrong.

Unedifying.

Last edited:
Predictably, the peanut gallery all disappear when it's about their own pockets.

Happy to accuse me of bad faith (would it have been so hard to simply ask where I was located?) and making thoroughly redundant points (there's risk involved? Do tell! )

It was always a long shot but an offer made in good faith. Long term forum members with lotsa knowledgeable posts @restorer-john (but who don't appear to be forum donors) don't have 'benefit of clergy' to come along and throw bad faith accusations, especially when the evidence was so blatant they were wrong.

Unedifying.
I don't know you and made an offer from my own pocket which you rejected. I don't know restorer-john and have never spoken with him before, I simply agreed with his feedback.

I have rather unique experience with electronic component reliability & failure analysis, and what happens when components are subject to events during travel over time. Add in being a life long audio enthusiast with equipment at or above the cost point of the luxman I shared valid topics of concern. Entertainingly while attending university I also worked at one of the largest US UPS unloading / sorting hubs and have a view of what does / can happen, indifferent to ground or air classification.

Best of luck with your request.

OP
J

Jake Cushing

@ieatfishburritos No worries, no hard feelings. Things do get thrown around in the delivery system. The offer you made wouldn't have worked, it would involve months of travel in a crate by sea.

I'm getting my unit checked over by a repair man anyway.

It'd nice to have Amir give a Luxman unit 'the test' as they cost a lot and look nice.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The quote you dug up from me said "Dealer offered me an AUD$1500 discount"

Was that not a sufficient clue?

Anyhow I'm glad we appear to be moving on from negativity. I haven't set it up yet, thanks. It's only just arrived.

Edit: One thing I can say - the small rotary dials for bass, treble etc at the front... are plastic. You would not tell from looking at them, but what the??
At least the large knobs dials for input and volume are metal. As is the solid fat face-plate.

But the grills on top - now plastic. An AUD $10k amplifier selling itself on build quality and they do this?
Wow just been following this because of the logistics question (where I spent my career)....but plastic stuff on a unit this expensive ? Wow. Then again can't imagine spending this much on a mere 2ch integrated....

Top Bottom