• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does any one allready tried the Shanling EH3 dac compared to the Topping D90?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got three Topping D90s and you won't hear anything better. If it's got features or connectivity you want, but don't expect it to sound any better. We've really hit a wall with this stuff, even high end amplifiers are sounding the same since they're so transparent with high SINAD scores.

Nutul

Hi Does any one allready commpared the Shanling EH3 dac/headphone amp and compared it to the topping D90. I own the topping and just bought the shanling ET3 CDtransport. The EH3 could be a nice replacement for the topping?`

John Darko has made a review of both the transport and the DAC yesterday I think... I watched it, but didn't pay too much attention to the DAC part; maybe you want to have a look at it.

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
Thanks the review of the ET3 I allready whatched. I will look for the review of the dac.

Last edited:
OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
I've got three Topping D90s and you won't hear anything better. If it's got features or connectivity you want, but don't expect it to sound any better. We've really hit a wall with this stuff, even high end amplifiers are sounding the same since they're so transparent with high SINAD scores.
I think your correct only problem is I would like the I2S connection. I allready use the usb input. And what i read with a standard hdmi cable the I2S will not work between the Topping and the ET3. But I just bought a cheap 3 euro solderless hdmi connector and will try to make my own i2s cable.

Last edited:

arshinov101

I think your correct only problem is I would like the I2S connection. I allready usb the usb input. And what i read with a standard hdmi cable the I2S will not work between the Topping and the ET3. But I just bought a cheap 3 euro solderless hdmi connector and will try to make my own i2s cable.
I'm waiting for your results!

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
First results are in :) But no I2S yet waiting for cable custom cable I ordered. Did not receive the hdmi addapter but if custom cable works I will not try to make my own.
I found this link for custom cable at checkout you can add comment and mention for what device you need the cable https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005848661432.html

The Et3 is connected and playing music :).

The cheap usb switch https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B074TYDJK2/ref=pe_28126711_487805961_TE_item?th=1 did not work. No fault to the ET3. When I put the switch between the topping and my pc. The sound was not okay some kind of distortion. I have some new usb cables will test later.
I connected the ET3 for now with a AES calbe to my topping DAC will later test USB and also I2S waiting on cables.

The player works fine, but the Eddict app is not perfect. But after some trial and error.
I can now play CD's (easy)
play music for connected usb drive (controlled by the app)
play music from network using dlna (controlled by the app)

The Eddict app does not always see the files in playlist is shared using a upnp/dlna option in foobar2000.
Also the Eddict app does not always see the Et3 as a render to play music through. Going from one folder to the other will some time refresh the app.

There is no usb at the front for easy switching the usb sticks. But a simple usb hub fixed that. Als did not found the option in the app yet to scan a new connected usb drive. The option is on the ET3 itself.
Also there is no app for chrome book. Will later try if there is a app for tablets.

Did not do any comparison between my Htpc or my sony xa 50 es cd transport.

Last edited:

Koeitje

Major Contributor
John Darko has made a review of both the transport and the DAC yesterday I think... I watched it, but didn't pay too much attention to the DAC part; maybe you want to have a look at it.
Let me guess: it all sounded very good and was great value for money?

Nutul

Let me guess: it all sounded very good and was great value for money?
As I said, I don't know. I was just curious about the transport; the looks of it also.
I do not take John's reviews too seriously on the technical side; and I was answering to a fellow member interested in the product(s).

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
Small update today I received my cutom I2S cable from https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005848661432.html
Works great. Not sure if I hear any difference between AES or I2S. Maybe some more clarity. But could also be a little bit difference in volume. Will also play a bit with upsampling.

For CD playback the ET3 works great, for streaming is also sounds great but. It is a pain to get streaming working. Could get it to work for todays in row. After I put in to standby, I needed to do a hard off on to get streaming working. The app could not find the ET3.

Nutul

Could get it to work for todays in row. After I put in to standby, I needed to do a hard off on to get streaming working. The app could not find the ET3.
The app cannot see the ET3, so you can wake it up from stand-by mode, or everything works fine from this point of view, but just the streaming services do not work until you power off->on?

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
Do not have the ET3 that long to know if this happens every time. Using the the remote I put the ET3 in standby. And will check tomorrow if after turning it on using the remote if streaming still works. Do not think you can wakeup the ET3 using the app.

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
Just tested. Wake up player from standby (using remote) Waited for 10 minutes or so and this time streaming worked fine. The app saw the ET3 and was able to stream music to it. So it some times works after waking up from standby.

Nutul

Just tested. Wake up player from standby (using remote) Waited for 10 minutes or so and this time streaming worked fine. The app saw the ET3 and was able to stream music to it. So it some times works after waking up from standby.
Then it looks like the unit needs some time to properly reconnect to the LAN after having been on stand-by. It's all fine IMO.

carlmart

Small update today I received my cutom I2S cable from https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005005848661432.html
Works great. Not sure if I hear any difference between AES or I2S. Maybe some more clarity. But could also be a little bit difference in volume. Will also play a bit with upsampling.

For CD playback the ET3 works great, for streaming is also sounds great but. It is a pain to get streaming working. Could get it to work for todays in row. After I put in to standby, I needed to do a hard off on to get streaming working. The app could not find the ET3.
Can you explain a bit on how is designed that streaming system you are using that involves de ET3? Which is the management application and what source/s you are using?

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
Mainly I use the Et3 as a cd transport, so just playing CD's. For streaming I have only used it for local playback from attached ssd drive(usb adapter) and some streaming using store music on HTPC running Foobar with a dlna plugin in with expose my local library. Using the eddict app I can then search through the library.
This less conveniënt then just using my htpc and foobar for playing music.
For now I only use it for direct CD playback. CD playback using I2S was my main reason off buying the player.

carlmart

Mainly I use the Et3 as a cd transport, so just playing CD's. For streaming I have only used it for local playback from attached ssd drive(usb adapter) and some streaming using store music on HTPC running Foobar with a dlna plugin in with expose my local library. Using the eddict app I can then search through the library.
This less conveniënt then just using my htpc and foobar for playing music.
For now I only use it for direct CD playback. CD playback using I2S was my main reason off buying the player.
Which HTPC you have that runs Foobar? I want to make my media players run Foobar for streaming music from my PC, but I couldn't till now.

carlmart

Which HTPC you have that runs Foobar? I want to make my media players run Foobar for streaming music from my PC, but I couldn't till now.
Now I realize that you were talking about a PC that seems to be used as HT. Not a HT receiver running Android. None of my Android media devices that I use as media manager, with Kodi, accepts Foobar.

OP
E

eduardw

Forum Donor
A few years ago I build my onw fanless windows 10 pc. The pc completly silent no fans. I use Foobar2000 to play music and k-lite codec pack with windows media player classic for video.

System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z87M-D3H
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130T CPU @ 2.90GHz, 2900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Top Bottom