• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does an analog amplifier affect the DAC signal?

OP
sniegs

sniegs

Depends on the gear, even some dacs have such a feature....all Denon avrs have it if it has Audyssey.
And in the end, we will conclude that speakers with built-in amplifiers sound better because they have room correction processing, Dynamic EQ and the volume itself adapts to the room, even for a bluetooth speaker...:D that looks very good in the room too... for example Bang Olufsen

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
And in the end, we will conclude that speakers with built-in amplifiers sound better because they have room correction processing, Dynamic EQ and the volume itself adapts to the room, even for a bluetooth speaker...:D that looks very good in the room too... for example Bang Olufsen
Your PC is a most capable DSP there is (since you already use one). There are plugin's for example for Foobar2000 (or EqAPO if you wish it on PC system level) that can do a lot more than best AVR or whatever in that regard and most of the time you can even find a very deacent one's that are completely free (sonar alike room corrections, phase corrections, PEQ/EQ's, tube amps, various effects... you name it). Your priority should be to learn and learn to use what you already have (which by any means isn't bad) then eventually some day go with something more convenient, easier to use, objective better and don't worry by that time you will know both for what you are going and what & how much it will bring you. Off course take your time and do it (learning) slowly, try to enjoy it there are some deacent folks hire to hang around and have fun. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your PC is a most capable DSP there is (since you already use one). There are plugin's for example for Foobar2000 (or EqAPO if you wish it on PC system level) that can do a lot more than best AVR or whatever in that regard and most of the time you can even find a very deacent one's that are completely free (sonar alike room corrections, phase corrections, PEQ/EQ's, tube amps, various effects... you name it). Your priority should be to learn and learn to use what you already have (which by any means isn't bad) then eventually some day go with something more convenient, easier to use, objective better and don't worry by that time you will know both for what you are going and what & how much it will bring you. Off course take your time and do it (learning) slowly, try to enjoy it there are some deacent folks hire to hang around and have fun. ;)
You know of a plugin for foobar that replicates dynamic eq?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
You know of a plugin for foobar that replicates dynamic eq?
Old thread... I don't use it for quite a long time now, while I did there ware two plugin's for (enabling) VTS both unofficial as much as I remember one worked fine (the one with control's in task bar) and other one didn't while quality of VST plugin's will vary a lot (including their stability among other things). As much as I remember there whose official 32 fixed point graphic EQ (& per channel) which worked very well.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Old thread... I don't use it for quite a long time now, while I did there ware two plugin's for (enabling) VTS both unofficial as much as I remember one worked fine (the one with control's in task bar) and other one didn't while quality of VST plugin's will vary a lot (including their stability among other things). As much as I remember there whose official 32 fixed point graphic EQ (& per channel) which worked very well
So nothing quite like dynamic eq? Just an eq plugin?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not at all. Powered speakers and other systems with room correction are still only as good as the room and speaker placement. Your physical setup is fighting you and will regardless of the DSP and speakers you use. With heroic room correction and electronic tweaking you may improve it, you will definitely make it different sounding, but you need to correct the fundamental issues first.
About the room and listening position. I won't change anything. And in general I like partial echo.
I have white bookshelf speakers on the shelf with the books and will stay that way. I am not a big analyst, just a listener. I'm just thinking about what else I can do for good sound.
As long as you are locked into your physical setup, you will be fighting a massive uphill battle.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @sniegs.... welcome aboard. I may be a bit cheeky welcoming you since I too am a relative newcomer here.

Regarding the audiophile term, some people like me think it is a neutral term that is simply an easy way to refer to people interested in audio playback. Others think that it is a great insult and it means that they have been duped by the consumer audio industry into buying expensive equipment and accessories that often have little or no positive effect.

Regarding your original question. The vast majority on this forum feel that all properly functioning amplifiers, preamplifiers (line stages), and DACs have no signature sound of their own. Using this logic, you likely will not "improve" your system's performance by upgrading the DAC. I personally have shifted my position from "cheap or older DACs don't sound as good as today's better DACs" to the position of uncertainty. I will be performing my own controlled blind tests to see if I can reliably tell the difference between DACs.

That is a long way of saying, you probably don't need to change your equipment if the amplifier is powerful enough for your speakers and listening level.
In this situation the biggest impact to the sound starts close to the ears and works up through the chain.

Room has more impact than speakers which have more impact than amp which has more impact than DAC.

To start looking for your problem you need to start with the room, and the placement of the speakers in that room.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The "bookshelf" in "bookshelf speaker" is just a marketing term for a small stand-mount speaker. Speakers -- at least the typical box speaker -- can't image well when placed in a bookshelf, but need to go on stands and be placed at least a couple feet away from walls and furniture.

If space is tight, you might consider a nearfield desktop setup. You can find examples if you search the forum.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Other speakers come with plugs that close the tube. They didn't come with me, but I can put something in there and the problem is solved?

Well, I imagine that speakers that come with a plug have both an internal volume and drivers with T/S parameters that are chosen as a compromise between ported and sealed optimization. If both of those things are optimized for a ported design, plugging the port will most likely have unfortunate consequences for the bass. Possibly even worse than being loaded by the cavities in a bookshelf.

The best approach would be to use actual sealed speakers or ones with front ports. Designed for on-wall or in-wall placement would be even better.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Was just looking at purpose of some things in daw world called dynamic eq....not quite what I'm after.
I really don't get you? It's most common type of virtualisations ever in audio (going back in the days a lot) you even have a big one's like Ozone VST (just first thing I remembered) that are entire DAW's in single plugin. Most serious DAW's have suport for them (on supported platforms of course).
Google first pick (greedy little basted he become):

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this situation the biggest impact to the sound starts close to the ears and works up through the chain.

Room has more impact than speakers which have more impact than amp which has more impact than DAC.

To start looking for your problem you need to start with the room, and the placement of the speakers in that room.
+1

Many of us suggested that early on but the OP seems to be unable or unwilling to explore this. If exploring this isn't an option then I think resolving oneself to accept the current state of affairs is the most reasonable approach.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't get you? It's most common type of virtualisations ever in audio (going back in the days a lot) you even have a big one's like Ozone VST (just first thing I remembered) that are entire DAW's in single plugin. Most serious DAW's have suport for them (on supported platforms of course).
Google first pick (greedy little basted he become):
I want something pre-made, similar to Audyssey Dynamic EQ for foobar....I saw that list earlier. I don't use a DAW. Using foobar2000 for two of my systems that lack that feature....

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I want something pre-made, similar to Audyssey Dynamic EQ for foobar....I saw that list earlier. I don't use a DAW. Using foobar2000 for two of my systems that lack that feature....
And you enable support for it (install VST support plugin) in it and tada it opens the hole new world to you. Read the manual (wiki page in this case) regarding how to configure and use (where to extract VST plugin's, select and configure use inside Foobar2000). I give up, good night.

Top Bottom