• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you see Class D being the standard in AVRs to come?

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Currently using a Pioneer SC-LX86, Class D. Top of the range in 2014. Now available second hand for ~500E. Using a couple of additional power amps as I play it loud. Sounds good to my ears and love the asynchronous USB input and cool running temperature... MCACC dialed in and very good with my three subs too

Godataloss

650 euros for something that doesn't even have room correction is quite intense for something that doesn't even have room correction, but i understand the enthusiasm considering the lack of similarly priced alternatives.

a Denon AVR is still the best deal for anything below 2000 euros imo.
But we are talking about using a separate power amp and processor. I think $2000 is a lot to spend on an AVR that is going to be obsolete in a few years even if it still works.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But we are talking about using a separate power amp and processor. I think $2000 is a lot to spend on an AVR that is going to be obsolete in a few years even if it still works.
Dolby has been making all of their formats backward compatible so i doubt software obsoleteness should be a concern.

I think it’s more than likely that the hardware fails first in 5 to 10 years.

Godataloss

Dolby has been making all of their formats backward compatible so i doubt software obsoleteness should be a concern.

I'm more concerned about the HDMI standard

dlaloum

Major Contributor

My experience since the 000's has been circa 5 years is the life of the old AVR's.

From around '05 to'15 the chipsets for HDMI and AVR video processing ran very very hot - as a result, typical lifetimes are sadly short.

Current models (I have a 6 month old Integra) run very cool - a massive difference

Based on the temperature all that critical silicon is running at, I would expect the current generation to have a much longer lifetime. (but I may just be an optimist.... having lost 2 TOTL AVR's in a row to heat related issues.... both outside of warranty.)

D

Deleted member 50971

I have touched on the difference between the different power classes of ARs and AVRs, understood that Class D seems to be the way to go, for every one, power cost, heat and ultimatley the enviroment. This also seems to be one of my key things in my upcoming AVR purchase since the place it will be in, is not super ventilated. My question to my fellow members here in ASR: Do you think Class D will be more implemented in low and mid tier of AVRs and upper AVRs ? Looking at the IT-sector the rules of how a power supply and its efficency as well as usage has become more strict (Lot9), in Europe. I read some of the pinned post in this section of the forum (....FTC), but was not sure if its the exact same as I am asking for.

Can we see this coming, what do you think?
Hi, I think there’s no doubt that class D will make its way into home theater and an AVR. I’m running class D for my mains, and the maker of my amplifier makes class D all the way up to a 7- channel unit. D-Sonic Pascal based class D, and I will never buy another class amp again. I have class A/B amps but my class D ones sound every bit as good, and don’t heat up my room.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I agree on that statement. Perhaps it´s the way I was brought up, to use, reuse and keep using everything as much as you can, that the whole AVR/AVP sector makes me nervous. If a company can come up with an AVP with modular and upgradeable guarantees (capacity to upgrade hdmi boards, dacs, processors...), they´d have my money for sure. Primare and NAD seem to have played with the concept, but they do not seem to fully commit to it.

Modulin

I think it will. Slowly, Class D will prove to be too valuable for its size, lightness, cooler operating temps, and quality. Nothing against AB and it's variants. Just makes sense in the long run.
Longevity? Reliability?, many class D amps fail. Same could be said of A/B class amps.
There are many manufacturer's use/d think ICE Pioneer AVR's, played around with D class amps some AVR's are using both in the same box. Will Class D take over the consumer market? Anyone's guess as of todate.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LX704 / 904, or Onkyo RZ3400, or the equivalent Integra....

The flagship series from the brands of Onkyo all have Class D, and have for about the last 5 years - since Onkyo took over Pioneer. Pioneer had Class D in their top Elite models for at least 5 more years before that
I knew the last part, but not that they had continued after (I think) a hiatus. Have they ever been tested? I don't see any of those here; very curious to see the results.

OP
D

DrStranger

Hi, I think there’s no doubt that class D will make its way into home theater and an AVR. I’m running class D for my mains, and the maker of my amplifier makes class D all the way up to a 7- channel unit. D-Sonic Pascal based class D, and I will never buy another class amp again. I have class A/B amps but my class D ones sound every bit as good, and don’t heat up my room.
Hi, Hopefully more will move to this. It seems from other AVS Members pointed out that pioneer's top lineup is Class D, the SC lineup. I hope something happens end of this year or beginning of next, with their new line up beeing released.

D

Deleted member 50971

Hi, Hopefully more will move to this. It seems from other AVS Members pointed out that pioneer's top lineup is Class D, the SC lineup. I hope something happens end of this year or beginning of next, with their new line up beeing released.
Yes class D is starting to become mainstream. Maybe that’s what the AVR makers are working on, and all it takes is one manufacturer to start the ball rolling.

I have been enjoying mine for the last 18 months, and if I had to do all over again, I would’ve went with a class D multi-channel amp for the rest of my room.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No preamp outs that I can see.
They are right there in the middle:
1664821922740.jpeg

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To my knowledge in the 2022 AVR products available non of them are class D.
The class D modules bought as OEM are far too expensive and take too much volume.
AVR manufacturers for now do not have the R&D resources needed to develop their own designs.
They are fully loaded with hdmi2.1 and Dirac.
May be in 5 years the tide will change in favor of class D for AVR channels.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
To my knowledge in the 2022 AVR products available non of them are class D.
The class D modules bought as OEM are far too expensive and take too much volume.
AVR manufacturers for now do not have the R&D resources needed to develop their own designs.
They are fully loaded with hdmi2.1 and Dirac.
May be in 5 years the tide will change in favor of class D for AVR channels.
Since around 2015 (roughly) when Onkyo bought Pioneer, the flagship Onkyo, Pioneer and Integra AVR's have all been Class D.

The current generation is supposed to have some Flagship models, however they have yet to be released (18 months after their mass market brethren were launched!)

In the Pioneer range that would be the LX705 & LX905, for Onkyo RZ70 and RZ90, for Integra the 7.4 and R1.4 - we know the model numbers because DTS announced them as supporting Play-Fi - but for now, that is all we know.

On the other hand the 701 through to 704 Pioneers all used the same chassis and amps (with possible evolutionary changes?) - and the chassis was shared with the equivalent Onkyo's and Integras.... I would assume that the new 705 generation would continue that tradition....and therefore they would all be Class-D

Personally, I am hoping that they replace the linear power supply with a switch mode power supply, and boost the current available - but we continue to wait.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The current generation is supposed to have some Flagship models, however they have yet to be released (18 months after their mass market brethren were launched!)
Isn't there a constant of proportionality of one flagship per brand?

;)

Speaking of flagships and out of phase release kinetics relative to their lesser siblings...
The ... ahem... flagship of the Yamaha CR-xx20 receiver line of (ca.) 1977 was the CR-3020. I believe it came later, but before the next line (CR-xx040) of Yamaha receiver.
I never saw one, nor was I even aware of the model, when it was current. I only learned about it much later. With its rosewood cabinet, it was, at least aesthetically, somewhat transitional between the CR-xx20 and the CR-xx040 line.

61144.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom