• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do you know of any closed over-ear headphones that have a completely flat frequency response curve?

fountain

I am trying to make a new purchase of headphones and I am looking for the purest sound possible, I would like them to be closed-back because I would like to use them both outdoors and indoors and I already have some open ones that fulfill their function for when I am at home

OP
fountain

fountain

I am searching for the most detail as possible too.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I don't think such a thing as a transducer with completely flat frequency response exists. Furthermore, it appears that, in order to have the requisite level of detail and extension into the frequency extremes, the frequency response of a headphone has to be something other than "completely flat". Amir pointed to the AKG K371 as having the correct response - to subjectively have "flat" response. I own a pair, use them frequently and do not have that impression. Though I can hear the thickness of the lower midrange/upper bass of the Drop 6XX headphones, they still strike me as more linear overall than the AKG 'phones. I can recommend those, although it appears you're already covered in that department. There's a "cuppiness", a closed-in quality to all the closed over-ear headphones I've owned, and I think it's built into the formula. Your chances of having a linear response with outdoor headphones is greater with IEMs - inner ear monitors or earbuds. They don't have that cupped sound and can have a lot of detail and deep bass. They are also the best at reducing ambient noise.

Rhamnetin

If you want the purest sound possible, a completely flat frequency response isn't what you want, it's a Harman in-room linear frequency response. This is their approximation of what a flat speaker+room frequency response sounds like in a headphone. I don't know of any headphone designed to adhere to this, but you can EQ an AKG K371 to this target. I bet you won't prefer it, though.

fce5f038a647b0fcd57ea7a21b4673811b337061.png

Regarding detail, every full range headphone that isn't broken is going to allow you to hear all the same details. The main component to the perception of a headphone being more detailed seems to be the relative frequency response around 2 KHz, so you'll want to make sure that region isn't recessed.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I can't answer your question but flat response is not generally desirable in headphones and the Harmon curve sounds more natural/neutral to most listeners, but preferences do vary. What is the Harmon Curve?

If you don't get an answer here, maybe just Google. ;)

Also high frequencies can vary depending on how they interact with the ear, and low frequencies can vary depending on fit & seal.

The Harmon curve includes a bump-up in the bass and the AKG K371 has a slightly bigger bump.

I am searching for the most detail as possible too.
"Detail" isn't a defined term but Dan Clark (headphone manufacturer) says that headphones with distortion (in the mid-range, I think) are often described as "detailed".

OP
fountain

fountain

thanks guys for all the info, I'm going to check K371 and all abot Harman curve :)

OP
fountain

fountain

I'm just checking K371 and seems that are exactly the ones I was looking for, thanks a lot!

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Denon AH-D5200 but in hause only and on loud only level. Good part is seal and surce impedance not dependent.

Peterinvan

Each of us has a different "hearing profile". Usually caused by abusing your ears, or just getting older.

All the online reviewers and contributors have different ears, so we have to take their recommendations as a starting point in our search for the best match for us.

So my best advice is to avoid "flat response" or even Harman Curve comments, and just try as many headphones as possible to find your ideal within your budget.

I have a collection of under $1,500 phones and IEMs, and each one sounds different. I prefer not to depend on EQ to sort out unsatisfactory sound profiles.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Hyperx cloud orbit is made with Audeze planar magnetic drivers and the onboard flat equipment profile really sounds that way. Closed back and the mic detaches. On eBay you can steal a pair on a good day. Also the Autoeq database has settings to flatten out existing headphones.

Top Bottom