• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do we have pro-ject users around?

alaios

that have a build a main system with their components? And probably looks like that?
project-lg.jpg

I like that these components are small, seem stackable enough and give me access to 4 components, preamplifier, amplifier, cd transport, phono amplifier

I do not seem too many reviews of people having set up such systems

Waxx

Major Contributor
Some pieces were tested here:
1704447732689.png

I had a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable for a while, and the build quality was very fragile i have to say. I sold it after a year and went back to my trusted technics turntables. With the electronics I don't have experience, but when i saw them in shops, it looked very fragile also.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
that have a build a main system with their components? And probably looks like that?
project-lg.jpg

I like that these components are small, seem stackable enough and give me access to 4 components, preamplifier, amplifier, cd transport, phono amplifier

I do not seem too many reviews of people having set up such systems

Four boxes? A decent integrated with an onboard D/A converter and you're done.

OP
A

alaios

Some pieces were tested here:
View attachment 339844
I had a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable for a while, and the build quality was very fragile i have to say. I sold it after a year and went back to my trusted technics turntables. With the electronics I don't have experience, but when i saw them in shops, it looked very fragile also.
thanks for this feedback, this type of information is very hard to get these days from reviews

CHenry

I have the Pro-Ject Pre Box RS2 Digital preamp. It is really very nice. It has a dual ESS Sabre DAC and a selectable tube stage, a selection of filters and a headphone amp. Nice compact form factor, with a display. I have been using it with a NAD C298 amp and alternately with JBL 4349s (low standmount) and Amphion Argon 3s standmounts. The Pro-Ject has been presented with the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T which is Pro-Ject's high-end transport that connects to the Pre Box RS2 Digital by a proprietary I2S interconnect. I don't have the drive (using a Marantz ND8006) which connects via coax or optical. The preamp is nice. There aren't many preamps with selectable tube output (Schiitt Freya+ being another but with a much different form factor and no DAC or headphone amp or display or filters.)

Mean & Green

I have some Pro-Ject products, ranging from a very basic Elemental turntable through to a Debut Pro turntable and a Phono Box S2 Ultra phono pre amp.

I have no experience with their other box components but I can say the following about what I do have.

The Phono Box S2 Ultra phono pre seems excellent. It’s a compact well constructed all metal box, it’s very easy to set it up to electrically match various combinations of MM & MC carts via a series of dip switches for gain, impedance and capacitance. Pro-Jects own specs suggest it has very low distortion and a faithful RIAA curve. My usage with it has been great. Inaudible hum or noise and just great fidelity.

My Debut Pro turntable for the price of new turntables today seems to be good value. As far as I can tell it seems solid, is very adjustable more so than the competition at it’s price point, is very quiet regarding rumble and background noise, has a good platter and looks great in my subjective view.

My Elemental turntable is not so good. It’s plagued with motor noise that is picked up by the cartridge and amplified through the system. Wow and flutter while not audible is probably on the measurable limits of acceptable. Dust cover was a separate expensive item. Other than those flaws it isn’t too bad, better than the cheapest of the cheap.

Not sure how useful any of that is to you, but my take is their cheapest products are average, but the higher up the range you go there can be some good products to pick from.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I had a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable for a while, and the build quality was very fragile i have to say. I sold it after a year
Wow... I was going through my old file of receipts & user manuals recently and I bought my Technics direct drive turntable in 1982! ($125 USD, not the high-end DJ model.) I've never had any trouble with it. (No belts or drive wheels to wear out.)

To be fair, it hasn't been in continuous use. The receipt for my CD player says 1985 and it wasn't too many years until I'd replaced my vinyl with CDs and stopped playing records. But I still occasionally use it to digitize a record that's not available digitally.

If I were buying one today, I'd look at the direct-drive Audio Technica that has a preamp and USB built-in. (The only reason I'd buy one is for digitizing.)

My Elemental turntable is not so good. It’s plagued with motor noise that is picked up by the cartridge and amplified through the system. Wow and flutter while not audible is probably on the measurable limits of acceptable.
The only time I've heard any audible defect from a turntable/record player that wasn't broken, it was a cheap one with a plastic platter and I was hearing "rumble" (mechanical noise/vibration picked-up by the cartridge). I've never heard wow or flutter, or a speed problem from a turntable or tape machine that wasn't broken.

The cartridge can make a difference but of course records are the weakest link and the biggest variable.

Last edited:

Mean & Green

The only time I've heard any audible defect from a turntable/record player that wasn't broken, it was a cheap one with a plastic platter and I was hearing "rumble" (mechanical noise/vibration picked-up by the cartridge). I've never heard wow or flutter, or a speed problem from a turntable or tape machine that wasn't broken.

The cartridge can make a difference but of course records are the weakest link and the biggest variable.
I’ve never heard wow or flutter either.

Top Bottom