• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I need to buy a DAC?

JayGould

Right now I have a Cambridge Audio AXR100 amplifier (with "built-in DAC") paired with two Klipsch RP-8000F floor speakers.

I want to start using this system connected to my PC inside my home office. But since my amplifier doesn't have a USB connection, it seems I have two options:

1. Purchase an additional USB DAC (like Topping E30, cost about $150) or
2. Purchase a USB-C to Optical adapter (cost about $75)

Will the sound quality be improved if I go with option #1, or would purchasing another DAC be a waste of money?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now I have a Cambridge Audio AXR100 amplifier (with "built-in DAC") paired with two Klipsch RP-8000F floor speakers.

I want to start using this system connected to my PC inside my home office. But since my amplifier doesn't have a USB connection, it seems I have two options:

Will the sound quality be improved if I go with option #1, or would purchasing another DAC be a waste of money?
Depends how good (or bad) the DAC in the CA is - others may know. The $75 seems a little wasted - $100 or so will get you a very good measuring actual DAC like the Topping D10s and if the CA takes balanced inputs, maybe even a D10 balanced. Very good modern performance , transparent to source. The D10 also functions as a USB to SPDIF converter, so you could also easily AB the CA DAC to the Topping (make sure you match the levels though) to satisfy that curiosity.

Roland68

Major Contributor

I wouldn't throw out the $75 for such a device.
Take a Topping D10s DAC, which also converts USB to SPDIF and optical. You can then compare with that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't throw out the $75 for such a device.
Take a Topping D10s DAC, which also converts USB to SPDIF and optical. You can then compare with that.
Great minds ;-)

Zek

Major Contributor

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor

Three options:
3. Purchase a 3.5 mm stereo to 2x RCA cable, assuming there isn't already one floating around (cost $10ish?)

It's not like this receiver needs the most high-end DAC in existence (THD spec at 80 wpc out = <0.01% @ 1 kHz, <0.15% 20-20k), and since it seems to be IEC Class II I don't envision any major issues connecting it to a PC via one of the RCA inputs. So given that it is by far the cheapest option, I would definitely give the onboard audio a shot first. It's generally fine... a little lower in level than a dedicated DAC but that's about it. DAC filter frequency response generally is flat as a pancake, distortion low enough, and dynamic range somewhere between adequate and more than sufficient for a line-level source.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@JayGould which DAC doe's it have? How good are analog inputs?
If you have you can use on main board SPDIF if not and on desktop you could use cheap internal sound card which has one (and it has a DAC comparable to one integrated inside the amp with couple of benefits).
If you wish you can pick a cheap standalone external DAC and use it's optical out.
If the analog input is really great or you want to use it for some other reason (native DSD, MQA or whatever really) or really want a DAC pick one that you like and want based on measurements that fit's your pocket. You don't really need a better performing DAC but you will end up buying one, one way or another. ;)

Top Bottom