• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do frequency test sweeps (REW etc) compensate for fletcher munson

fatoldgit

As title says, do test sweeps compensate for fletcher munson to achieve equal loudness or are they all flat (i.e. set to say -6db digital scale)?

1687223439200.png

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You could design a F-M curve (for some constant audio level; it's very level-dependent) with the EQ section and export it as an IR. I guarantee you won't like the results. Your auditory cortex has spent your whole life adapting to your built-in F-M. It would be like wearing glasses where you see everything upside down.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not unless designed to do so....

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
As title says, do test sweeps compensate for fletcher munson to achieve equal loudness or are they all flat (i.e. set to say -6db digital scale)?

View attachment 293604
This is quite a popular question, just reworded.

A recording system must not compensate for the Fletcher–Munson curves.

An accurate domestic playback system must not compensate for the Fletcher–Munson curves.

End consumer kit may have a loudness button which allegedly compensates for the Fletcher–Munson curves, but in practice must always be a fudge.

OP
F

fatoldgit

ok

so the answer is no... each frequency in the sweep will be at a constant level because music production doesnt compensate and the playback side also doesnt so having a compensated frequency sweep that is used for room measurements wouldnt mimic the "end to end" musical content the room would experience.

Thanks for that

Peter

Top Bottom