• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do 6.3mm headphone adapters make a difference?

newaudioguy77

The following is an official reaponse copied and pasted from my email:

Furutech chooses to plate with rhodium on higher end parts for its sonic benefits and incorporate carbon fiber for its resonance damping properties. Depending on the quality of associated components, you should experience the sonic signature of rhodium when combined with Furutech alpha-conductors which is a fast, firm sound with informative mid to high frequencies and excellent tonal balance. Gold plating offers a warmer presentation with a heavier mid to low range.

I'm not spamming or trolling. Matter of fact, I never was. I currently own the 24k Gold-Plated adapter. is it worth it to upgrade?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
No. Gold plating is normally used in connectors to prevent corrosion. (Or in the hi-fi/audiophile market to impress you and so they can charge you more).

There's nothing "tricky" about making a basic audio adapter as long as you get a good connection. If you get a bad connection the sound will cut-out or you might get crackling when you wiggle it. It won't affect frequency response or "warmth" anything like that.

And, beware of people who use words like "fast" or "firm" or "informative" or "warm". etc. Those are nonsense words. With speakers (or defective electronics) it's possible to have a loss of high frequencies or something like that, but not from a connector, adapter, or cable.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

I spoke to an audio dealer about this earlier today as well..
What he said on the phone was exactly what the Furutech customer servie rep was telling me.
Used the same vocabularly to describe the changes in sound for each adapter. I kid you not!
Thank you for your response and I appreciate it! :)

gfinlays

Furutech chooses to plate with rhodium on higher end parts for its sonic benefits and incorporate carbon fiber for its resonance damping properties. Depending on the quality of associated components, you should experience the sonic signature of rhodium when combined with Furutech alpha-conductors which is a fast, firm sound with informative mid to high frequencies and excellent tonal balance. Gold plating offers a warmer presentation with a heavier mid to low range.

I'm not spamming or trolling. Matter of fact, I never was. I currently own the 24k Gold-Plated adapter. is it worth it to upgrade?
Oleum serpentis.....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Your mission would be to add this adapter in the ASR's...
Oleum serpentis
post for nomination.
1652218832700.png
LOL

Mario Sanchez

Some adaptors may prove to be a bit too loose of a fit with the port, and that may cause issues with playback, but generally speaking I don't think there's much behind claims for "signature sound" behind different conductors and plating material.
I do hope someone who's done comparisons for these adaptors can chime in regarding the fit issue though -- we all love a solid connection.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Next thing you know they'll be touting steel made before 1945.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I spoke to an audio dealer about this earlier today as well..
What he said on the phone was exactly what the Furutech customer servie rep was telling me.
Used the same vocabularly to describe the changes in sound for each adapter. I kid you not!
Thank you for your response and I appreciate it! :)
You know what to do - don't give that deraler a CENT of your money!!! I say this as an ex-dealer who actually tried to learn a bit about the gear and accessories I was selling and was able to get out of the blind faith I'd been suckered into for a while in the early 80's, which some of my age related compatriots still haven't (I think financial gain took over for some of them)...

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't that the ASUS republic of gamers brand? May or ask where you found the image?
I am suspecting that your original post for this thread has been edited.
I am an Asus fan-boy for robust MotherBoards. At least, my last three DIY PCs used their gamer-MoBos...

I wanted to look up, their USB dongles which was previously referenced here. Landed at amazon w/that partial advertisement, I stopped reading and labeled it "snake oil"!:(

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I currently own the 24k Gold-Plated adapter. is it worth it to upgrade?

Upgrade ... no.
That said... I have a bunch of different 3.5 to 6.3 adapters and while they all sound (and measure) the same there are quality differences and fit differences. I even had 2 of them (over the years) literally break. One internally and one on the 6.3mm side.
Some 3.5mm plugs are a bit loose and others hold the 3.5mm firmly. Some adapters sometimes make poor contact (need to wiggle it) and found it is best to throw these away.

So yes there are differences and some are better than others but there is no need to pay more than $10.- for well constructed ones.
Nickel plated or gold plated makes no difference.

Top Bottom