• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Purifi Amp builds

OP
J

JimB

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well. Interesting. Yes, a reasonable price for the power supply. And, they offer several OEM NCore modules. What was your "connection kit", the HYPEX NCore NC1200 Amplifier Hookup Cable Set?
I just paid a bit closer attention to their website and I could not find the 1200A400, only the 1200A700. So, if you actually received an A700, you should not use it with the 1ET400A!

LondonLad

Is the op-amp the same thing as the buffer board?

By what criteria does one decide on its integration or not?

I see that Nord's Three SE 1ET400A Dual Mono Stereo Amp includes Op Amp options (Sparkos Labs SS2590 and Sonic Imagery 990Enh).

JimM

Forum Donor
On the prototype case from purifi it appears there is a ribbon cable from SMPS 1200 J4 to EVAl J3 which is the +- 18vdc unregulated I assume this connection is necessary. The cable connector kit that came from Purifi has the J3 connector but did not include a J4 housing. My question is this what other people received if they ordered the cable kit?
Also Can anyone explain the connection from the led power switch from the front panel it appears to connect to EVAl J2 connector which has pin1- I2Clock SW mode , pin2- ground, pin3-IC2 data SW mode, 4,5,6,7,8,9, not connected, and pin10 ground. Or is there something I’m missing.
I would like to have a Led power on switch on the front panel possibly to at least put it in standby mode and light the led with amp ready signal from J16. I am going to also try and set up a remote power on/ off from pre amp ordering parts to set up a 5vdc supply. Will use opto- isolator or relay to accept the 12 volt signal from the pre-amp. Thinking of using SMPS standby input switching the P.S. on and off has any one tried this? Any suggestions as to how to implement would be very helpful.

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
On the prototype case from purifi it appears there is a ribbon cable from SMPS 1200 J4 to EVAl J3 which is the +- 18vdc unregulated I assume this connection is necessary. The cable connector kit that came from Purifi has the J3 connector but did not include a J4 housing. My question is this what other people received if they ordered the cable kit? ...
My wire set came with two, incomplete cable assemblies (as their picture shows), AND a spare of each plug body. That would let you complete the EVAL1 J1 to SMPS1200 J1 cable, because the SMPS1200 end uses the same type of plug body. Likewise for the EVAL1 J3 assembly. It is assembled for the EVAL1 end, and includes a spare plug body, which happens to mate with SMPS1200 J5. J5 has +Vaux outputs, but I don't know if they switch between regulated, and unregulated, with jumpers J6&J7, as they do on J4. (I cannot test this for you now.) So, you might be able to use that to complete your build, but it would lack the use of the nAMPON amp control and nFATAL amp status signals available on SMPS1200 J4. The wires used on the EVAL1 J3 cable are a bit 'beefy'. I had hoped they would clamp into an IDC plug for the SMPS1200 J4, but have not yet tried it. I did check that one could apply bit of heat-shrink over the bare crimps and plug them onto the pins of the J4 header, directly, but this is not a good long term solution.

No comment on your other points.

JimM

Forum Donor
That is the same I received and I had the same question on J5 Vaux +- as you did. When I power up the SMPS I will see if they appear to be the same as J4 .
JimM

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
For reference, the free ends of the wires from the J1 power connector, as supplied from Purifi, are color coded with bits of heat-shrink sleeve. They are:
p1 +Vdr white
p2 HV+ red
p3 GND black wire (no added sleeve)
p4 -Vdr green
p5 HV+ blue
p6 GND black wire (no added sleeve)

They go to the same locations on the J1 plug for the SMPS1200 - one for one. When viewed from the back of the plug body, the side from which you insert the crimps, the pin locations, with colors are:
1578806464594.png

ALWAYS double check your pin locations, end to end, with an ohmmeter to ensure they are loaded right!

I wind/twist these wires together before inserting them into the second plug, with the ends free to rotate as I go. This provides a tight, stress-free cable.

JimM

Forum Donor
I just just checked continuity with strapping on J6 and J7 in 1-2 regulated position from J5.3 to J4.1 pos Vaux J5.7 to J4.2 neg Vaux and there was NOT continuity between the two points on J5 and J4. Then moved straps to 2-3 and now the two measure continuity, this may imply J5 only has unregulated Vaux =-. Will look at at power up Smps.
JimM

JimM

Forum Donor
Yes that is what I have determined on main power but it is good to confirm it. Thanks again.
JimM

OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
I just just checked continuity with strapping on J6 and J7 in 1-2 regulated position from J5.3 to J4.1 pos Vaux J5.7 to J4.2 neg Vaux and there was NOT continuity between the two points on J5 and J4. Then moved straps to 2-3 and now the two measure continuity, this may imply J5 only has unregulated Vaux =-. Will look at at power up Smps.
JimM
Since Vaux,UNreg is what you want for the EVAL1, it might be viable to just make the EVAL1 J3 cable go to J5 of the SMPS1200.

JimM

Forum Donor
JimB look at this data sheet from Hypex.
JimM

Attachments

• datasheet_hypex_SMPS1200_datasheet.pdf
    759.3 KB · Views: 1,326
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
JimB look at this data sheet from Hypex.
JimM
Interesting. The descriptions for connectors are explicitly clear that one can use J5 to get the unregulated auxiliary outputs, and that those on J4 are conditional on jumpers J6&J7. That datasheet is Rev 6 for PCB v3. I have been using Rev 13 for PCB (v9?), so I cannot assume that note applies to the current boards. However, I DO think all is clear and consistent:
1. assuming the outputs are the same as back 10 years ago, AND
2. assuming that they are absolutely consistent in their terminology within the Rev 13 datasheet (Rev 13 calls the outputs on J4 Vaux and Vaux,reg, while those on J5 are just Auxiliary), AND
3. knowing that you and I have both confirmed that there is continuity between the output pins of J4 and J5 only when in J6&J7 are in the UNregulated configuration, AND
4. assuming Purifi would send a cable set that could be used under some conditions, THEN:

One may simply insert the free ends of the EVAL1 J3 cable into the proper holes of the spare plug body to get an operational amp system using SMPS1200 J5:
1578855195873.png

But, you will not then have the nAMPON and nFATAL interfacing that could be had with J4, unless you add those two wires between EVAL1 J3 and SMPS1200 J4.

FWIW, for the Hypex amp cases, using applicable Hypex power supplies, Ghent supplies a little cable that uses p3 of that connector (J5 of the SMPS1200A400 and J1 of the SMPS600N400) for power to their front panel LED.

Last edited:
OP
J

JimB

Forum Donor
Regarding wiring the free ends of the Purifi-provided J3 cable to J4 of the SMPS1200, the provided wires appear to be 22 AWG. Most IDC sockets accept only 26-28 AWG. The largest I have found DO extend to 22 AWG, and accept discrete wires, but are pricey. For example, the 3M CHG-2010-J01010-KEP‎:
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...r-wm-skt-100x-100-2-row-chg-series-ts0192.pdf

Even so, we still need two more wires, with crimps, to complete a 5-wire cable from the EVAL1 to the SMPS1200. @JimM found those here:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en...f=0&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

Alternatives?
1. Do not use the provided cable for EVAL1 J3, and make up a ribbon cable with crimps on the end to load into the spare 7-position J3 plug; or
2. SPLICE the wires from the Purifi J3 cable to wires of a ribbon cable that mates with J4 of the SMPS1200.

#2 is a no-crimping solution. Cut the wires from the Purifi J3 in half, giving 3 loose wires with crimps. Insert two of the free wire crimps back into the J3 plug (pins 1 and 3) to get at nAMPON and nFATAL. Then splice the 5 leads on to wires of a common ribbon cable to get to SMPS12100 J4. This 'only' needs soldering and a bit of small heatshrink tubing. No points for style, but it gets the job done with available, common components. Maybe a length of TechFlex braided sleeving would redeem it?

What solutions have others found?

Last edited:

LondonLad

On the prototype case from purifi it appears there is a ribbon cable from SMPS 1200 J4 to EVAl J3 which is the +- 18vdc unregulated I assume this connection is necessary.

Was a definitive conclusion reached for that question? Is it necessary? If so, and if it wouldn't annoy anyone, I would find it interesting to learn why it's necessary or not, and why the prototype has it cabled the way it is, and why either Purifi and/or Hypex didn't include cabling to facilitate the way it's been prototyped?

Is the discussion that followed thus primarily relevant only for those interested in implementing a front panel LED?

Unrelated, is there a minimum gauge recommended for the wires from inlet to SMPS 1200 J2?

Last edited:

LondonLad

Looking at the prototype, the ribbon from SMPS 1200 J4 appears cut down by the time it connects to EVAL-1 J3? Forgive another newb inquiry but is that a common occurrence (the cutdown)?

Last edited:

JimM

Forum Donor
I can not find version level on my SMPS on the sticker attached to the capacitors it shows build 3719 wk/yr which would be july of 2019. Should get my power cable from vacuum tube values Monday for Tuesday. It looks like maybe the cables are what Londonlad also have. If so then it will have a 10 pin ribbon cable, and I have a found couple of break out boards on amazon from 10 pin idc to solder connections, may be able to use those to tie into functions on smps on J4. I believe the connection of Vaux+- unregulated and associated ground is necessary as it the power the EVAL uses for the front end opamps and buffer.
JimM

JimM

Forum Donor
If we keep beating on this we will figure it out. Thanks for all the information so far.
JimM

Top Bottom