• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIY Plinth for Thorens TD160

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Not sure if this qualifies as DIY audio, it's more of a woodworking project. I picked up a Thorens TD160 MkII turntable in excellent shape, but the plinth was showing its age. So I made this replacement made from Tigerwood (Goncalo Alves). I used 1/2" MDF for the bottom, which meant the overall height had to be increased.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 247

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks beautiful - well done! Is the wood maple?

Audiokarma.org is a forum with a lot of focus on DIY and vintage audio - not that ASR isn't great for this too, but you might also find some fellow travelers and enthusiastic feedback if you shared this in the turntables subforum there too.

OP
paddycrow

paddycrow

Forum Donor
Looks beautiful - well done! Is the wood maple?

Audiokarma.org is a forum with a lot of focus on DIY and vintage audio - not that ASR isn't great for this too, but you might also find some fellow travelers and enthusiastic feedback if you shared this in the turntables subforum there too.
Not maple, it's Goncalo Alves (commonly referred to as tiger wood). It is a South American hardwood.

Top Bottom