• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dirac Unison

CINERAMAX

Dealer
storm+aes672.jpg
I recall Mathias talking to me about unison since the intro of the Datasat rs-20i which i was involved in the focus group. 2014? It will be demoed at CES on a Storm, also Auro 3D for streaming will be demoed in that suite, I know, it won't die, don't ask.

Trinnov will not have DIRAC active room correction. However when I was reviewing the system below's channel config with someone working with Trinnov on the NEXT GEN optimizer I sensed him constantly attentive and gravitating back towards the future benefits of having such an abundance of large woofers distributed as a canopy all about the room. He said he was going to share my shop drawings and diagrams with the development team.
solfar+naked.JPG

I did not put him on the spot to confirm active room correction, but I put two and two together. I can call that one today, but Dirac has a 6 year runway so my approach if you have so many woofers on 36 plus channels WELL COVERING the room GO ALL AES67 AND USE 2 PROCESSORS. a STORM EVO IN THE 2-500 HANDLING Dirac Active Room Correction to 500hz and Trinnov ON UP THRU the optimizer (THE MICROPHONE RULES )fed AES 67.

Last edited:

CINERAMAX

Dealer
So since 2015 all my systems have been full range, in the back of the mind because of unison, a bit, but very largely because I like to get whacked around by concussive bass from the bed channels and the tops running all my main channels down to 40 if the room response allows, of course this concussiveness only happens in the near-midfield as we don't hear frequencies in the 40-80 but we feel them if they are not too far apart.

My solution is just build six seat theaters. ;) Since the speakers in the above project were all bespoke, this is like my 3rd and 4th time dabbling in speaker design collaborations (Quested. Alcons, MusIkelectronic Geithain), including 4 surround LISTENER LEVEL SURROUND BM zone cardioids from Musikelectronik Geithain in this last one, there were many lessons learned, yes the amt speaker although sweet on axis in one row, the dispersion is worse than the Mundorf Amt Spec says, if you want to provide a sweet spot for 6 people (the happy family school of immersive coverage) rather than the selfish bastard single seater above you will need a controlled directivity speaker, in my universe from having owned the 2nd JBL Synthesis 1 system for which I spent three days at the Blboa factory in a conference room with dr. Floyd learning calibrating in time domain with the Mlssa (on a 30 pound compaq luggable).
440px-Compaq_portable.jpg

But Later commissioning more synthesis, and PRO Audio Tech and Meyers, it never fails after about 2 weeks of listening during commissioning I get extreme fatigue from the TIME SMEAR, an Alcons term, no amount of DSP can compensate for TIME SMEAR, so the only compression driver that is free from this form of distortion that unnerves many professional musicians and music engineers is because of a dual ANULAR RING tech exclusive to the M2. The only compression driver musical enough with reduced enough decay times to my ears.
tom back.png

Also very very sorry but compression drivers are never advisable to be in a room with 30+ speakers, a giant glass videowall and see through acoustics. Fuggedaboutit !
TETHYS+MODVIEWSSOR.png

So the solution for videowall cinemas is either ribbon with the isolated exception of the wisdom horizontal center channel (that occupies the whole width of the screen and images accordingly whereas the voices do not emanate out of the middle of the videowall like in a real center behind a woven screen but appears to emanate diffusely out of the whole screen like the internal Sony oled acoustic surface screen/speaker) or soft domes, but controlled directivity is preferred I think. In soft dome coaxial directivity speakers the front stage speakers need higher dynamics and throw, this is accomplished by a small array.
SOLFAR+K-3.jpg

THIS WORKS LIKE A SOLID CENTER- Amir is invited to bring his Bruel & Kjaer. Top of the omni San Diego.

Based on that I have designed a modular concept of narrow cardioid towers using the meg 804k platform in narrow form factor. While I love the idea for directional bass, it is as close to ideal I can think of for Dirac Spatial active room correction, OR TRINNOV'S variant in 3.5 years or whenever it lands.

All of the RP standards CEDIA has recently rewritten for immersive audio for the HAA etc., all the top designers, the whole world but me have been following the THX science , crossing over at 80 or 100 and using small satellites. ACTIVE ROOM CORRECTION IS A CHANGE OF TECKTONIK PLATES. Who knew that through an intuitive non academic pursuit of the directional bass, formulating hypothesis, blowing up ceiling speakers, trial and error validation and iteration approach these few systems I have commissioned would perhaps be so well prepared to thrive with active room correction?

I love Musikelectronik Geithain, no frills, durable high performance and DATA GALORE. Why is there such a poor representation in the USA? The manager is not a thespian of the English language, being East German Spartan they do not want to be the largest speaker company in the world they have enough studio demand in Europe and Japan (where they are the most revered brand used to develop the NHK 22.2) to keep them humming.

BUT ALSO... When I first approached them in 2010 the Euro was 70% higher, and when I ordered the 4 custom column cardioids in 2018 it was 25% higher, so anyone ready to jump into an ACTIVE ROOM CORRECTION reference high density system (though designed by an amateur) with the dollar parity, this is the time to consider such an adventure, well you are the scientists, is there hope for me to join the ASR as an honorary newbie ?:D
VIEOWALL+MODULAR+AUDIO.png

Here is the concept I have come up with for future systems. Because it is cardioid 2Pi, the woofers will have to work one third less than sealed or ported speakers on active room correction duty clearing reserves for much needed headroom, the speakers are adjustable and boundary decoupled (ideal for spatial imaging toeing in ), the towers spread 6 x8" inch woofers vertically covering 2 meters of vertical wall space (think multi modal active room correction).

The modules are based on these two speakers, the ME 804K, there is a 50%chance I can get these to Amir to measure, but check the Data here.

However the decorative double plywood wastes space so the modules are based on the BASIS 804K that was built for my leather wrapped steel columns.

basis%2B804k%2Bcineramax.png

the stack
COIUMN.PNG
MEG+804+COLUMN.png

Cardioid Backwave venthole
16060018917198127602938206347.jpg

column
P1011953.jpg

dsp.PNG

The near-midfield model has a single tweeter with a Directivity index that is preserved from the triple tweeter model, from 100 Hz ... 10 kHz increasing from 4 dB to 10 dB.

RL940-Detail_V1.cdfb0d7065cae44735d004dea23ab788.png

Here is a list of channels.
P1.PNG

P2.PNG

P3.PNG

P4.PNG

OK EXPERTS PLEASE CRITIQUE. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom