• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DIN 5 wiring

Solist

Total newbie question, but I am a bearing guy, so please bear with me... (pun?)

About to order some cables, to connect the DAC to AMP. (RCA to DIN 5 - male to male) and need confirmation about wiring:
2948midi-725x400.jpg

S7-1.jpg

S7.jpg

What would be the correct wiring? (If you reference the first picture?)

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIN plugs for stereo audio (as opposed to MIDI) are wired as follows:

1 Left Out
2 Ground
3 Left In
4 Right Out
5 Right In

So from a DAC to the amplifier you need a cable with 3 & 5 wired with ground to 2

What I do is to buy a standard DIN-RCA with all four wired and just use the two that work!

S

OP
S

Solist

DIN plugs for stereo audio (as opposed to MIDI) are wired as follows:

1 Left Out
2 Ground
3 Left In
4 Right Out
5 Right In

So from a DAC to the amplifier you need a cable with 3 & 5 wired with ground to 2

What I do is to buy a standard DIN-RCA with all four wired and just use the two that work!

S
Thank you for the reply!

I asked the same question on another forum and they told me that the following wiring is correct:
1692349701652_din5 wiring.jpg

Told me, that 5 and 3 are outputs...?

I did the same (4 RCA to DIN 5), but since I wanted to order some speaker cables, I asked them if they can make also this interconnect.

Zek

Major Contributor
Told me, that 5 and 3 are outputs...?
It depends on which side of the cable you look at, if it's on the source side, then it's the output.
According to the attached scheme, 3 and 5+1 are inputs.
Pins 5 and 1 are short-circuited so that a 3-pole DIN plug can be used.

Top Bottom