• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital Coaxial Switch Box.

nbat58

Can someone recommend a good Digital Coaxial switcher box to connect multiple source to an RME DAC 2 fs DAC?

Ideally needs to be auto switching.

OP
N

nbat58

This box looks like it also converts the digital out to analogue according to the description, I am after 4 coaxial in and one out with unaltered signal from digital in to digital out to go to a DAC.

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
This box looks like it also converts the digital out to analogue according to the description, I am after 4 coaxial in and one out with unaltered signal from digital in to digital out to go to a DAC.

Thanks
It'll convert to analog only if you choose the optional DAC add-on.

OP
N

nbat58

I have just bought the non dac version with 7 inputs, do the 4 optical inputs perform as good as the coaxial inputs?

The reason I am asking is that it seems that the optical input on the RME dac seem lower in sound than the coaxial input, could this be possibly because I am using an old optical cable?

tw99

I have just bought the non dac version with 7 inputs, do the 4 optical inputs perform as good as the coaxial inputs?

The reason I am asking is that it seems that the optical input on the RME dac seem lower in sound than the coaxial input, could this be possibly because I am using an old optical cable?
No, if it works at all then the type of cable used makes no difference. It's digital transmission, not analogue, so the cable can't affect the volume.

OP
N

nbat58

No, if it works at all then the type of cable used makes no difference. It's digital transmission, not analogue, so the cable can't affect the volume.
This was checked on two different sources though, so, probably that had something to do with it.

jae

Major Contributor
Probably not one for the perfectionists, but I previously used a video distribution amp for this - worked very well and no jitter issues.

All you need is a wideband amp with the correct 75 ohm input impedance, and a video distribution amp is just that.
Second this. Lots of extron switches and stuff out there for dirt cheap.

MCH

Major Contributor

@MC_RME Mathias at RME himself has endorsed this same switch, I would be surprised if there is something wrong with the toslink transceiver.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Strange, I have purchased the switch on the 30th of November and still it hasen't shipped, how long did they take to despatch yours?
A couple of weeks I think; it's a while ago. From reading his bio I think he makes a batch at a time or more likely, on-demand. His approach is that of a hobbyist, so I wasn't expecting immediate fulfilment from stock.

OP
N

nbat58

A couple of weeks I think; it's a while ago. From reading his bio I think he makes a batch at a time or more likely, on-demand. His approach is that of a hobbyist, so I wasn't expecting immediate fulfilment from stock.
Thank you.

Top Bottom