• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop system purifi monobloc with Dynaudio focus Vs Genelec 8040 A

My adventures in stereo

Have a chance to pick up a pair of Genelec 8040A used for 1k$
Have been following Genelec monitor reviews here and have never experienced them first hand

I am currently using a Purifi based monoblocs from audiofonics , with Dynaudio Focus 140 speakers
Preamp duty being done by RME ADI2 DAC FS
I am very happy with the present system

Difficult to get my hands on new Genelecs, in my present location
Worth the experiment, would appreciate input, thanks

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Difficult to get my hands on Genelecs where I live as well so I think I understand the temptation.

A quick google shows they are not manufactured since 2013, so they are at least 10 years old. If you have a problem with them, would it be possible to return them or get a refund would be a question worth considering in my opinion. I don't know about your current speakers but Genelecs are near-field monitors. Are you going to be listening to them in near-field?

8040As are active speakers so if you go with the purchase, you will have freed your amp together with your speakers for another duty. Do you need another set of speakers for another duty?

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Thanks for the reply
I am also worried about the reliability of the vintage 8040a
My present amps, i could integrate in to my home theater but the speakers would be surplus
Thst would be a waste, the present system really sounds sweet
I will hold off on the genelec

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Picked them up could not tesisr :)
They are built like tanks
Willb post impressions later
20230502_182619.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Picked them up could not tesisr :)
They are built like tanks
Willb post impressions later
View attachment 283007
You have to position them higher (tweeter at ear height) or the upper bass will be muddy due to reflections on the desktop surface. Try with stapled books underneath if there are no proper stands at hand.

OP
My adventures in stereo

My adventures in stereo

Raised them with foam blocks, raising them 5 inches, changed the sound significantly, now I understand the muddy midbass from the desk
Sounding very good

Attachments

• 20230505_105601.jpg
    20230505_105601.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom