• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desktop speaker suggestion

psychokiller

Hi all!
Any suggestion for a couple of small speaker with decent sound but quite compact to be placed on a small and cluttered desktop?
Speakers could either be passive or active, with a little preference over passive, but really need to be compact.
Was thinking about a couple of Cambridge Audio Minx 12 https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/eur/en/range/minx but I am a bit disappointed by the frequency range spec.
I understand that given such small size the use of a subwoofer becomes almost mandatory but wish the community opinion about any small desktop speaker an audiophile might appreciate.
Thanx in advance!

OP
P

psychokiller

Fair enough.
Cambridge Audio Minx 12 are 78 x 78 x 85mm (3.1 x 3.1 x 3.3”) that is really minimal, and I would say that to me the constraints are (H x W x D) 170 x 100 x 100 (or 6.7 x 4 x 4”): there is anything "audiophile" in this size without buying crap multimedia pc speaker?
Genelec probably has something in this size (or little larger) but actually costing an arm and a leg. Will have a look at Neumann.
If there are any other suggestion I will be very grateful.
What about JBL Control One, although a bit above the constraints I mentioned?
Thanx

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
do you wanna put the speakers on the desktop ?, i have my speakers on the stands and my desktop free

OP
P

psychokiller

do you wanna put the speakers on the desktop ?, i have my speakers on the stands and my desktop free
Yes, on a small desktop: no space for any floorstand around the desk. I have a 22'' display on the desk, the speakers will be a few cm to the sides of the display. Genelec G One would probably be a great option, but at around €500 for a couple I would like to save some money and get something cheaper for the kind of casual listening I will use the speaker for. And also avoid crappy pc speakers.
The whole setup will use a Raspberry Pi with PiCoreplayer, Topping D10 DAC, Atom Amp (for headphone/IEM listening), a power amp if required for passive speakers, and the speakers I am looking for.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Yes, on a small desktop: no space for any floorstand around the desk. I have a 22'' monitor on the desk, the speakers will be a few cm to the sides of the monitor. Genelec G One would be a great option probably, but at around €500 for a couple I would like to save some money and get something cheaper for the kind of casual listening I will use the speaker for. And also avoid crappy pc speakers.
hmmm.. i don't think any speakers gonna sound good with that space, they can easily cancel and more, maybe headphones or not ?
you need at least 1 meter of distance of each other, and that's the min distance

I had my speakers ( kef r300 ) at 1.2m and i got mid bass cancelation but at 1.8m they sound much better and the cancelation is minimal

OP
P

psychokiller

Budget: anything below €500 (roughly USD 600) for a couple will be interesting, around €300 or little less (USD 350) would be best option.
Regarding distance, desk is around 1.8m so I can put the speakers near edges so cancelation can be mitigated.
The whole setup will use a Raspberry Pi with PiCoreplayer, Topping D10 DAC, Atom Amp (for headphone/IEM listening), a power amp if required for passive speakers, and the speakers I am looking for.

OP
P

psychokiller

Pity, no Genelec or Neumann for this budget (at least not new, maybe an older used Genelec 8010).
Genelec 8010 would also require XLR and I wish to use the Atom Amp, so RCA input would be a better option. I can find Genelec 8010 for €250 each so the €500 budget would be for those (or better Genelec G One). Would like to spend quite less.
Seems there is nothing between crappy PC speakers and portable studio monitors like Genelec.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Nice speakers, but quite above the size I can use on the desktop.
btw if you put a speakers on the desk u gonna need to use this thing or something like that
1624567707759.png

OP
P

psychokiller

These small multimedia monitors would be a good option https://eve-audio.de/index.php?page=SC203 but they are active and also have internal DAC with USB and optical input, and I would not use those inputs given the setup I wish to use both for feeding the headphone amp (Atom Amp) and the speakers.

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would suggest a coaxial bookshelf or other speaker that has a point source like dispersion pattern to avoid the drivers not summing properly if you're too close.

Top Bottom