• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Desk amp suggestions 300usd and under, and maybe help with capacitor rolling filter caps....

To start, I know the title asks for suggestions but I also have to ask about cap rolling on my current amp to resolve some issues discovered in a review here by Amir. I have an Emotiva BasX A-100 flex amp for desktop use right now and as a lot of you know it showed some distortion when tested as well as a 5 to 6 minute start phase where it under performed at producing the full band of frequency response.. Someone mentioned in the review thread of the A-100 uses only two filter caps and they are "Emotiva" brand and that switching them out for better grade and higher tolerances may get rid of the distortion. Does anyone have anything to add to this? I don't know the most about amp topology or design aspects of circuits etc. I did switch the last caps in the signal path of a Dynaco PAS-4 (the late nineties gear version) preamp with soem Mundorfs and it changed the sound a good bit, so I know a single pair of caps can alter a huge amount of sound aspects of an amp. If rolling these filter caps could clean up the signal then any ideas on what to drop in place?

Now suggestions. the part everyone loves! The Emotiva has great damping capabilities from what they claim and I figure thats a good thing since they will be feeding some Sierra 2 EX. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't better damping suit lower efficiency speakers? I would want to stay under 300 usd if I did move to another amp, and soem things I would want for it would be the following.

Dual mono with good noise free power supply and damping abilities
at least 50wpc
possibly balanced input xlr from my DAC, this isnt something I really require, also, how big of a factor would balanced offer over RCA?

I thought I had a good bit figured out about amps until I came here. Maybe a tree branch will fall on my head and erase my memory and I can be happy with a 90s Sony all in one jambox cause currently the rabbit hole is getting deeper as my pockets go the other route.

Top Bottom